FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Krazyito

Monk 6.0 Transition Guide

All monks:

• No more healing spheres, but all specs now have surging mists. 

BREWMASTER

• Legacy of the Emperor has changed to Legacy of the White Tiger. This buff will increase main stats and crit strike chance by 5%
  • Guard has 2 charges (at 100)
  • Gift of the Ox now procs from multistrike auto attacks.
  • Brewmasters gain 5% more crit from all sources.
  • Clash is gone (sad face)
  • Black Ox Statue will not proc guards on the raid any more and will pulsate AoE threat.po
  • Surging mist is now a spell you can cast.

MISTWEAVER

• For 6.0 your stat priority is going to be Crit > Haste > Mastery.
  • General  Nazgrim healing trinket is good in 6.0 because of the multistrike it gives you.
  • Multistirke will become a extremely valuable stat come level 100. 
  • You have a chance equal to your multistrike to not incur a cooldown on Renewing Mists or rising Sun Kick, your next Renewing Mists or Rising Sun Kick cannot benefit from this effect after it triggers.
  • Serpent stance does not give a 50% haste bonus any more.
  • Muscle Memory has been removed
  • New stance: Stance of the Spirited Crane (replaced Stance of the Fierce Tiger). This stance is meant for 'Fistweaving" you will gain Rising Sun Kick, and the ability to use your damaging melee abilities. During this stance you will be able to generate a lot of chi and procs of Vital Mists for instant surging.  This stance is meant for LOW DAMAGE PHASES. Do not use this when your raid is in danger of dying.
  • Soothing Mists will not generate chi any more.
  • Surging mist mana cost has been reduced (and its healing) but will be your main source of chi generation outside of Renewing Mist.
  • Detonate Chi is a good ability yo use when stacked up and there are a lot of orbs around.
  • Uplift will be your main chi dump until you reach level 100. Enveloping Mist can be dumped into a tank for emergency healing (as usual)
  • Thuder Focus tea will give you 5 jumps to your next Renewing mist or 100% healing to your next Surging mist. Cost 0 chi, and 45s CD.
  • There is a passive that may lower a mistweavers GCD past 1s?

WINDWALKER

• Combo Breaker has a 8% chance to proc (Down from 12%)
  • Jab costs 45 energy while in Stance of the Fierce Tiger
  • Storm, Earth, and Fire has zero energy cost AND is off GCD
  • Fists of Fury deals 100% more damage and always deals full damage to the primary target (The target that you have targeted when the spell is cast)
  • Stance of the Fierce Tiger now increases all damage done by 20%

What the changes mean for you

Most of them are simple, Combo Breaker procs less, Jab costs more, FoF is more useful, etc. 

Thankfully there is nothing in the passives that you get from lvling 91-100 that are truly needed to make WW work, they are just some small QOL changes or flat DPS gains.

For 6.0.0 most of what will be felt is that everything is much slower then before. Jab costing more and less free procs means that you will need more energy to keep the same speedy feel that you have had until now, this is simply not doable. Haste is a very small effect on your EPS and is still significantly less valuable then crit to over all DPS.

Good news is that FoF is now much more useful then before, especially with AoC. The passive gained as you level to 100 gives it more damage and makes it a solid DPS gain. Even at 90 its useful to use as much as possible while learning your rotation. Start learning to use it now, because things are much slower then before it is much easier to work FoF in to the rotation.

Storm, Earth, and Fire having zero cost and off GCD is a clean QOL help. Making it not only much easier to use but also expands the moments when it will be useful as there is no thought to DPS loss due to GCD or energy loss from casting. 

TL;DR 
WW will feel slower then before but works basically the same for the 6.0 pre-patch. Minor QOL changes with SEF and FoF. Rotation and stat priority remains basically the same.

-- WW Info courtesy of Lockybalboa

• Like 2

I have to admit i am struggling to see any advantage of remaining MW in WOD our healing in SOO is bad enough so if we dont bring a Raid utility in WOD i don't thing RL will bother much with us in WOD? Which is a shame cus I love playing MW even though im below adverage at it lol You can check me out on Silvermoon Eu as Cuddlybruce

Edited by DJBRUCE

MW arent "bad" in SoO. In progression i topped heals in almost every Heroic progression kill in 10 man with a pally and a disc priest.

Yes as the bosses became farm and the disc priest rose to power my useful hps dropped but thats a gear scaling issue.

In WoD with the triage style healing approach MW wont be useless and will be a viable healer you just have to work a bit harder than the other healers to execute it. Some people enjoy the class complexity challenge on top of boss/raid mechanics to add the extra layer of skill required.

Is it worth stancedancing for the buffs you can get from Crane Stance, namely the 20% crit (Cranes zeal?) for a boost in healing and Mana Tea generation for Serpent Stance?

I have to go check but I don't think you keep the buffs going back into serpent. 

You lose all but 1 chi swapping from crane to serpent, but you don't lose chi going from serpent to crane. 

Really you're only going to fistweave during low damage phases or when you want to help push damage just like live. 

I have a point of contention with the comment about Fists of Fury being a wash at level 90. It is still our top dps ability to use by quite a bit, even at 90 (outside Touch of Death which is now usable on bosses). It SHOULD be used on near-cooldown at 90, not "oh I feel like using it whenever" feeling it is now.

The comment did mention it kinda depends on your play style. It really doesn't matter during the pre-patch since you're going to be getting use to how the new expansion feels.

The comment did mention it kinda depends on your play style. It really doesn't matter during the pre-patch since you're going to be getting use to how the new expansion feels.

My character is in near BiS gearing and even with 30%+ haste, and I still have time to use fists of fury on almost cooldown. With Assurance being useful again, I'm actually trying to move AWAY from haste right now just so that I can use fists of fury more often.

I have the same point of contention as Hinalover.  Fists of Fury is a much better ability now even to the point of using it on cd up to and including with an AoC if you have one.  I realize that you got your information from someone else as WW isn't your main spec, but just saying something in the realm of "it doesn't...matter because you're getting used to it" really isn't helpful as a guide.  I'd be more inclined toward advising people to work it into their rotation more and more because of how good FoF is (and will continue to be at 100 based on current information) instead of telling them that it doesn't matter.  I respect that you're trying to put out a guide to help people go into the ex-pac but FoF isn't a "playstyle option" anymore and it most certainly isn't "a wash" from a dps standpoint.

Edited by Anmity

I'll take your critisim and change the guide. People are going to want to use it at 100 anyway, so i suppose theres no reason to stop them from trying use it now. Thanks.

Also, Hello again Anmity.

I have a point of contention with the comment about Fists of Fury being a wash at level 90. 

I have the same point of contention as Hinalover. 

Thanks for the feedback guys, it helps a lot of stuff like this.

Keep in mind that this guide is mainly aimed at fresh players-mid heroics progression, it isn't a max perfect DPS by any means. 

My findings were based on SimCraft at the time and some messing around on the Beta itself, looking back I don't think I checked AOC at all so that was a oversight.

The community is what makes these forums great, thank you both for your thoughts and views. Glad we could make the guide even better.

Not a problem Locky.  AoC was a fairly recent change so that wasn't a big thing especially since not eveyone was fortunate enough to have hung onto one. 

I can't speak for Hina but my main point was merely that losing out on FoF will be a pretty big dps gain post patch and there's no reason not to be using it on cooldown, especially since it'll be that way from 6.0.2 on through to 100, at any gear level or skill level.  Other than touch of death, it's essentially the biggest damage dealer on single target and that's a pretty big thing to miss out on.  It's a bit wonky at first if you're not used to it but certainly worth the practice and definitely worth the dps gain.  If anything, even for players not used to it and dreading trying to find ways to put it into their rotation, they'll be happy they did when they see their dps go up by more than a small margin.  Thanks for allowing us to give feedback and appreciate the update in the guide Ito.  Good to see you.

Anyone know why the old one-button WW monk fight macro doesn't work in the new patch?

/castsequence reset=0.3 1,2,3,4,Tiger Palm
/castsequence reset=0.3 1,2,3,Blackout Kick
/castsequence reset=0.3 1,2,Jab,Jab
/castsequence reset=0.3 1,Rising Sun Kick
/cast [combat] Chi Wave
/cast [combat] Energizing Brew
/startattack

Which stats should BM monk should stack on and what is the priority now?

Mastery for Stagger, Crit for Elusive Brew (Physical), Multistrike procs Gift of the Ox Orbs (magical~), Haste for energy regen (which is some what DPS gain i guess)

Until you get to 100, you're probably still going to use the same stat priority as before which is Crit and mastery/haste

At 90 for my druid (I have not, and wont, be able to play Mistweaver pre level 100) I had no mana issues.  Basically, Go for spirit in some pieces, and go up or down based on how much mana you're actually using. 

If you're not going down in mana by much, try to Spam more heals, see if you do more healing.  Try to waste it and see if it helps your healing at all.  Decide from that if you should go up or down.  IF you're blatantly wasting mana and you just have so much regen in combat, then go down even more. Do what your gear allows you to get and you can do with your playstyle.

Personally, I need to go down in spirit on my Druid.

So far is there any approx spirit cap to aim for?

Spirit is always useful mistweaver at every gear level. This is due to abilities/talents like CJL in Crane, and RJW in serpent. These are extremely powerful abilities that require a massive amount of spirit to use. 

Luckily most of our BiS has spirit on it. Which is a good thing for us. 

@90 you should avoid spirit as much as possible. It's extremely hard to OOM, when with spamming RJW. 

Edited by Suplift

So, in your opinion, which of the 3 specs will be the way to go in wod? Let's say I would like to play as a monk regardless if is tanking, dpsing or healing.

I guess in my old age simple things satisfy me.. I think the best part of 6.0 is I don't have to kite adds on Garrosh.. And Hi Krazy and Anmity.. Anmity nice BiS list on the other forum.. must have taken a lot of work..

So, in your opinion, which of the 3 specs will be the way to go in wod? Let's say I would like to play as a monk regardless if is tanking, dpsing or healing.

That's really only something you can answer. 

Hey bris. (leadbelly) 

That's really only something you can answer. 

Hey bris. (leadbelly)

I know what you mean, but i wasn't talking about gameplay only. Let me rephrase the question, how do you think a monk would help the raid the most? By dpsing, tanking or healing?