FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
demonardvark

Sub Rogue Priority Help

Hello there, 

After 6.02 dropped I saw the error in my ways of not playing sub sooner. However, I have two priority based questions I need to ask.

First, with honor among thieves I crap combo points, I almost can't get rid of them. That being said, when I enter shadow dance I will have full combo points almost the entire time. Should i spend them during shadow dance or just spam ambush? I ask because using the finishers eats up rotation time, energy, and some combo points. Is the best practice just to hold off on shadow dance until everything is refreshed then dump it?

Second, should crimson tempest be in my rotation? I know it applies singularity vein but it also increases my rupture damage. Allegedly according to my guild, shoving crimson tempest in there increased my dps by 10% but once i re-downloaded recount I didn't quite see it myself..

Thanks

1. Never just waste combo points. If you are having trouble with capping during Shadow Dance, try entering the state with lower energy/points so you don't feel so rushed.

2. I suppose I don't know how the scaling is right now, but Crimson Tempest shouldn't be an overall increase over the standard single target rotation. Sanguinary Vein is a key buff for Subtlety, but it is also applied by Rupture itself and Hemorrhage, which are a part of the regular rotation.

1. Never just waste combo points. If you are having trouble with capping during Shadow Dance, try entering the state with lower energy/points so you don't feel so rushed.

I guess my question is, should I be using combo point abilities during shadow dance? 

Ideally, you'll be entering Shadow Dance with enough time left on Slice and Dice and Rupture that you won't have to cast either during the buff. If that is the case, you'll be alternating between Ambush and Eviscerate. If you're unlucky or plan badly you'll have to use Slice and Dice and/or Rupture during the buff period. Simply spamming Ambush is not a DPS gain in the short term, and is definitely a loss in the long term.

Second, should crimson tempest be in my rotation? 

As far as I know, CT shouldn't be used in your regular rotation, especially not single target. The reasoning for this being that you won't gain as much damage from it as an Evis cast will deal.

As Krush said, you should be trying to time your SnD cast so that you won't have to waste combo points on it - Dance lasts for 8 seconds, and Find Weakness lasts for 10, so try and have at least 18 (but more ideally 24) seconds left on SnD when you enter Dance. Rupture is a similar idea - try and refresh it just before Dancing, but it isn't the same kind of dps loss than SnD is

The more Evis casts you can get off inside that Find Weakness debuff, the better. 

I guess my question is, should I be using combo point abilities during shadow dance? 

Yes, because of all the above reasons. Evis is by far my hardest hitting skill (in terms of total damage done over a fight).

Build to 4-5 combo points (pool energy while you get an HaT tick to get there), cast Dance and Ambush. Dance is off the gcd, so you don't have to wait to cast Ambush. You'll have 7-8 ish points and FW up, so cast Evis. Continue to cast Ambush to build points to 7-8 then Evis so you don't cap. As a side note, you should always try and have your last cast in Dance be Ambush, to prolong the FW debuff as long as possible