FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
HughMorris

when did Mastery overtake Crit for balance?

as the title states, when did mastery become our #1 stat? 

I mean i'm completely gemmed for crit at the moment and I was #1 in the meters in my guild's mythic run for most bosses last night. 

Not many classes can beat us on long term aoe atm. If you're first on single target as well, your guildies are doing something wrong, no matter how you gem ;)

To answer your question, since SS procs are now not as important as they used to be, crit lost a lot of value from that. It's not bad by any means, but your best stat changes based on your current gear/gems, fight length, aoe or single target and your talent choices. Also almost all the gear atm has crit on it, which in turn drops it's value compared to other stats.

If you give us your armory link, we could sim for you and help you gem/enchant properly, but staying pure crit's not the way atm :)

That's... not actually why crit lost value. SS procs are still very important (which is why crit > mastery for WoD mythic), but crit can't give us as big of an increase. Previously, we had a 30% chance on crit tick to get an SS proc. You had about 16% or so base crit, meaning a base of about 4.8% chance per tick, and could get as high as 30% on tick if you had 100% crit chance. Now, you have a base of 5% per tick, with 10% chance if it's a crit tick. With 5% base crit chance, you have a 5.25% chance on tick to get an SS proc. If you stacked all the way to 100% crit chance, you'd max out at 10% crit chance per tick.

Don't be fooled - boomkins are very valuable with fights being as short as they are right now. If you do it right, very few classes can burst near as hard as we can. Short fights is part of why mastery also increased in value. If you kill a boss in 1:00, you spend 25% of the fight at maxed-out mastery bonus plus another 20% on top of that.

That's... not actually why crit lost value. SS procs are still very important (which is why crit > mastery for WoD mythic), but crit can't give us as big of an increase. Previously, we had a 30% chance on crit tick to get an SS proc. You had about 16% or so base crit, meaning a base of about 4.8% chance per tick, and could get as high as 30% on tick if you had 100% crit chance. Now, you have a base of 5% per tick, with 10% chance if it's a crit tick. With 5% base crit chance, you have a 5.25% chance on tick to get an SS proc. If you stacked all the way to 100% crit chance, you'd max out at 10% crit chance per tick.

Don't be fooled - boomkins are very valuable with fights being as short as they are right now. If you do it right, very few classes can burst near as hard as we can. Short fights is part of why mastery also increased in value. If you kill a boss in 1:00, you spend 25% of the fight at maxed-out mastery bonus plus another 20% on top of that.

I appreciate the detailed response. So is it worth my changing all my crit gems for mastery gems? I know that my gear will be obsolete soon but I do have the heroic heirloom staff from Garrosh and I'm wondering what gems to put on that. 

Edited by HughMorris

They're still important, just not as important as they used to be, since you can't get them as often from crit, and you can get them from other sources as well. Oh well, I phrased it wrongly. Anyway, on the big single target fights atm boomkins have (purely world 1-st per spec) the 11-th highest spec on jugger, 15-th highest spec on Malkorok and 5-th highest spec on Siegecrafter.

We're not bad at all, but we can't really compete for first unless we get lucky on siege, or our guildies are doing something wrong :)

Tho... did you see buffs? Now I'm really sad I already cleared this week's reset. Next week we'll rule them all!

For gems, you should go for socket bonuses, and there isn't fixed best gems, but if you cba min-maxing to perfection, haste+mastery on reds, mastery on yellows and crit/mastery on blues is the way to go.

I'll give you a slight example. For me changing 3 gems from crit/mastery to pure crit set my crit stat weight from highest to lowest in a 50s fight sim ;)

There's a big limit to how much you can take numbers as canon right now. A lot of high-end guilds aren't putting forth a ton of effort into a month of content that doesn't matter. We're the most heavily changed spec for 6.0, so much of our DPS could be higher as people are still getting used to how to play the spec.

We look good on short bursts, but if a fight goes longer we drop hard. A lot of guilds able to complete content right now don't kill things quite as fast.

Oh, and we just got buffed out the wazoo today.

Re: gems-

IF you want to spend the gold to regem with a week and a half left of content no one cares about, do it. If you want to save your gold, don't do it. Unless your kill times are almost all sub-2:00 you won't even notice a hugeneral difference.