FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Niix

Warlords of Draenor, Blizzcon and more.

Well I'd say being alive contributes to DPS. Parachute can also be used to bypass some mechanics that would otherwise make you take fall damage. We can also use Disengage for that, but timing that is much harder, and jumping away isn't always convenient. 

As for other stuff - yes, you can buy it. And you should. Because it would make leveling easier. Which is why I wrote it. In my post. That you quoted. 

Dude, I respect your work on guides and everything, but if you're replying to my posts, at least read and understand them. 

I'm just trying to dispel the idea that people need to pick specific professions. Yes some are more helpful than others, but I would rather someone pick what they personally prefer. Instead of me trying to tell them what to pick when they really don't matter all that much. I am a part of this site to help people, but there's a point in what I do that crosses the line between helping someone and being a know it all.

• Like 1

I just tested it, and nitro boosts shares cooldown with both potion of speed and potion of agility. 

"Shares cooldown" meaning that you can use only ONE OF THESE per combat. While shield tinker does not, you can use it together with either of the potions. 

Using potion of speed also shares cooldown with agility potion. 

I just tested it, and nitro boosts shares cooldown with both potion of speed and potion of agility. 

"Shares cooldown" meaning that you can use only ONE OF THESE per combat. While shield tinker does not, you can use it together with either of the potions. 

Using potion of speed also shares cooldown with agility potion. 

Yes, thats what I had taken Niix's comment to mean, changed in 6.0 so shield tinker might be more useful now, provided it still shields the user for the same % at 100, doesnt share CD with anything, and doesn't take up an enchant slot for a DPS enchant. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I currently have Engineering and Leather Working for my professions. Being able to craft my own gear and weapon is definitely a plus in my book (since none of the professions give you a DPS benefit). I would totally agree on using the shield now over the Nitro Boosts if you have Engineering.

The Nitro Boosts are variable duration and while it says speed may be variable as well, I've never seen anything above or less than a 70% increase. The other "gotcha" is that speed increasing effects no longer stack. So, only a 70% increase, doesn't stack with other speed effects and shares a CD with potions - thanks, but no thanks. :P

Personally, like most Hunters, I've gotten very good at Disengaging then doing a 180 in the air and moving forward. With Posthaste, the speed increase from that is 60% and it's set at 8 seconds (from the time you land now - used to be from the time you hit Disengage) and even without AoC, the CD is WAAAAY shorter than 2 minutes. Granted, I can't always use Posthaste, but when I don't need the benefits of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Chimaera I run with Posthaste. :)

1) Actually, I think it's better to use the engineering trinket that gives you a temporary shield, because AFAIK nitro boost shares cooldown with agility potion, while shield is on its own, separate cooldown. That said, I'm not sure if the shield will scale into WoD. Currently it provides a ~10k HP shield, which is ~10% of my HP, I use it in a macro with Healthstone/Health Potion, can occasionally save life. 

To follow up on that comment: engineering belt enchant - shield scaled into WoD. On level 100 it provides a 45k shield, which is ~20% of my HP currently. You can also craft a consumable shield item, and you can use them both at the same time, but consumable shield shares cooldown with health potion. Consumable shield absorbs 57k, which is less than health potion's 72k of restoration.

Edited by Iridar

To follow up on that comment: engineering belt enchant - shield scaled into WoD. On level 100 it provides a 45k shield, which is ~20% of my HP currently. You can also craft a consumable shield item, and you can use them both at the same time, but consumable shield shares cooldown with health potion. Consumable shield absorbs 57k, which is less than health potion's 72k of restoration.

Try out the belt, it is a bit buffed at level 100.

• Like 1

Words.

Nitro Boosts no longer seem to share CD with Pots or Lock Rocks, they also speed up to 250% now (not sure what it was before). Provided they don't share CD with pots, I am definitely taking Nitro.  The mobility has been amazingly helpful in the Heroics already.

EDIT - Nitro also has 2m CD vs. 5 min on shield

Edited by Atrais
  • Like 1

Nitro Boosts no longer seem to share CD with Pots or Lock Rocks, they also speed up to 250% now (not sure what it was before). Provided they don't share CD with pots, I am definitely taking Nitro.  The mobility has been amazingly helpful in the Heroics already.

EDIT - Nitro also has 2m CD vs. 5 min on shield

Nitroboosts still shares cooldown with agility potion. 

Nitroboosts still shares cooldown with agility potion. 

You're right, my CD tracker add-on wasn't functioning properly and was showing the Agi Pots as being off CD even though they were on.  So disregard any suggestion to use Nitros.  One thing to note about the shield after using it in 7-8 Heroics last night, it does have a small chance to cause "Grounding" or something similar, which appears to stun or root you (only happened once and couldnt tell if it was a full stun or not).  Given how much of WoD already consists of particularly nasty void zones and other AoE badness, this could ruin your fight pretty quickly.

One thing to note about the shield after using it in 7-8 Heroics last night, it does have a small chance to cause "Grounding" or something similar, which appears to stun or root you (only happened once and couldnt tell if it was a full stun or not).  Given how much of WoD already consists of particularly nasty void zones and other AoE badness, this could ruin your fight pretty quickly.

Can't counter that, at least boosts seem to have lost a similar mechanic where sometimes they would send you flying or place a DoT on you.

True, shield sometimes can cost you. For that reason I suggest using it only in situations where you would have died without the shield anyway. 

Boosts can still be useful in situations where movespeed means more than additional DPS, though. 

Can't counter that, at least boosts seem to have lost a similar mechanic where sometimes they would send you flying or place a DoT on you.

True, shield sometimes can cost you. For that reason I suggest using it only in situations where you would have died without the shield anyway. 

Boosts can still be useful in situations where movespeed means more than additional DPS, though. 

Unfortunately they still give you the rocket fuel leak.

Unfortunately they still give you the rocket fuel leak.

Oh. I just assumed since this is no longer mentioned in the tooltip that it's not a thing anymore. Too bad.

Oh. I just assumed since this is no longer mentioned in the tooltip that it's not a thing anymore. Too bad.

Yeah I really wish that would go away, it's really annoying.