FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Cam

Frost Mage 90-100 tips.

I have played though the 90-100 on beta as Frost Mage, twice and would like to share a few tips. (I was in a 588 ilvl premade)

- Ice Nova is your new best friend. In the level 90-98 zones it can one-shot pretty much any mob with a crit. It can one-shot AoE packs with 2 charges. It is so easy to gather up 5-10 mobs and kill them within seconds. Especially in SMV (and I would imagine Frostfire also) I pretty much did SMV in 1 hour by using only Ice Nova and Freeze+Lance when it was on cooldown. 

- Take Blazing Speed. It is essential to use in combination with slow fall. Especially in Tanaan Jungle when you need to use everything possible to get ahead of the pack or risk falling hours behind in SMV fighting over quest mobs. There is 5 different spots in Tanaan where using that combo to travel large distances can save you 10+ minutes of travel time overall.

- Have the Garrosh Heirloom in your bag with enchants and gems and equip it at level 93 (Thats when it scales better than the HC WF weapons from SoO) I think level 95 is when the normal version of the Heirloom outscales HC WF.

- At levels 90-98 take Greater Invis to quickly get out of combat to mount up. At levels 98+ take Cauterize for extra insurance for when you pull 4-5+ mobs. They start hitting hard in Nagrand/Spires. Before that you barely go below 90 percent HP.

- Incanters flow is pretty much the only choice from the 90 tier. Mobs die too fast for Images to be useful and the DPS isn;t required to kill the elites as they melt within seconds anyway.

- Alter Time can be used for some serious min-maxing on speedrunning. Like jumping down a cliff to pick up a quest item then getting ported back up to the cliff. Can be fun and impressive to pull of those crazy things but not really required unless you are going for wold/realm first times.

- Don't take the %20 exp potion unless you are ok with handicapping your garrison progress. 90-100 takes around 5-6 hours with the potion but thats 500-600 Garrison Resources wasted and it will take hours to farm them back at 100.

- If you pop invis to get out of combat make sure to dismiss your pet as the welly keeps you in combat.

- Use Time Warp on cooldown. There is no tough 'quest bosses' that require lots of DPS so use it to clear packs of mobs quicker. 

Thats all I can think of at the minute.

• Like 2

As an alter time fan, I approve of this:

- Alter Time can be used for some serious min-maxing on speedrunning. Like jumping down a cliff to pick up a quest item then getting ported back up to the cliff. Can be fun and impressive to pull of those crazy things but not really required unless you are going for wold/realm first times.

One thing though, concerning time warp. There was this quest at shadowmoon valey (for alliance at least) where you had to kill some elites. I found TW terribly handy there. Generally i'd say use timewarp when you know you will constantly make use of it. 

"Have the Garrosh Heirloom in your bag with enchants and gems and equip it at level 93 (Thats when it scales better than the HC WF weapons from SoO) I think level 95 is when the normal version of the Heirloom outscales HC WF."

If the heirloom is in your bag, do you still get the xp bonus from it?

- Incanters flow is pretty much the only choice from the 90 tier. Mobs die too fast for Images to be useful and the DPS isn;t required to kill the elites as they melt within seconds anyway.

Did you mean Mirror image is better choice?

Did you mean Mirror image is better choice?

No. He meant: The mobs usually die too quickly-->most of Mirror Images duration will be wasted. Unless you are soloing an elite and you need the extra single target DPS.

Any advice on talants/glyphs?

For Glyphs I am guessing cone of cold, splitting ice and idk about the 3rd one

For Talants - BS, Time, Ward, Invis, Nova, Inc?

Considering I do not have 588

So Rune of Power, Mirror Image or Incater's Flow is better for leveling and end game mage?

Incanter's Flow for leveling, definitely. Unless, you cannot kill an elite alone, then you can go for Mirror Images to increase single target DPS and your survivability.

for end game, it depends on the fight.

Any advice on talants/glyphs?

For Glyphs I am guessing cone of cold, splitting ice and idk about the 3rd one

For Talants - BS, Time, Ward, Invis, Nova, Inc?

Considering I do not have 588

You should be fine with what I wrote in my frost mage leveling guide. I will extend it for WoD on the next week when I'll have some more time.

This is exactly what you will do from 90 to 100.

[EDITED]

Your post has been deleted for the same reason as in the other topic.

- If you pop invis to get out of combat make sure to dismiss your pet as the welly keeps you in combat.

Here's a handy dandy lil macro to dissmiss your pet and put you into invis :)

#showtooltip Greater Invisibility
/script PetDismiss()
/cast Greater Invisibility

Greater (and normal) invisibility put your pet into stealth as well. 

Unless, there was a spell in the air that hits it just at the same moment, it went to invis.

If that happens, you realise you are a mage and turn around and kill the mob that cast the spell!

If that happens, you realise you are a mage and turn around and kill the mob that cast the spell!

Or, I dismiss my pet :P

I found when I was levelling in Nagrand especially that Mirrors came in handy as a threat drop for bosses meaning I had more time to burn them without having to kite them. Blazing speed is awesome as stated in OP. I kept Greater Invis the whole time, came in handy when I ended up with too many mobs or picked up accidental threat while travelling through areas. 

Also, when you get to Nagrand, get the Talbuck. Utility on that thing is awesome, and will help your survivability as you can just run away from things.