FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Duneczan

A question of weapons

Recently, thanks to the smash'n'grab deal Blizzard went with, I was able to get some heirlooms off of Heroic Garrosh, specifically the 2h axe and the 1h sword.

Now my preference for dps on my death knight has always been frost, and always been dual wield (since waaaaay back to the beginning when the only 1h strength weapons were for tanks, and I had to deal with agility weapons), and I go two-handed rather reluctantly (unless it's a strength polerarm, because polearms are cool (addendum: yay new transmog rules)). That being said, here's my question.

What do you think about using the 1h agility heirloom axe as the offhand for dual wield leveling? I know, I know, it's probably a silly idea and I should feel bad for asking, but I'm curious as to the opinion of people who are probably more learned on the subject than I am.

Pre 6.0 I was using a Heroic WF agi sword because the weapon damage was more important than the rest of the stats on the weapon combined.

But post 6.0 OH weapon damage isn't nearly as important. As long as you have a good MH weapon (like your Boa 1h sword) to provide high weapon damage, it is more important to get the primary and secondary stats on your OH. I'd say at any given point in leveling as long as you have another option within about 20-30 ilvl of your BoA offhand, you'd be better off with a questing green/blue than using the agility weapon. and honestly even at that point you'd probably be better off going 2H for a few levels if you don't have a good offhand.

• Like 1

What storm said is correct, you'd have to have a huge difference in ilvl between the agi weapon and whatever other 1H you have for the agi weapon to be better.

2H frost is great for leveling though. For single pulls, you can kill almost anything with 3 obliterates in 3 GCD's. DW is faster if you're in a dense area where you're pulling 3-4 mobs at a time though.

My rule of thumb for playing WoW has always been what's more fun for me and how I want to play it. So that's why I prefer dual wield for my dk even if it may be sub par, or using a staff/polearm instead of two one-handers on my monk even if dual-wield is better dps. Similar to how I like my shaman with weapon/shield and not a staff.

But you answered my question. My DK's current weapons are a pair of lfr maces off Blackfuse, so the heroic heirloom might just be better until I get a better weapon via questing in Draenor.