FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Redcross

World of Warcraft hobby sparks US political row

Full story here ... http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-19842704

So apparently an American democratic candidate has been singled out as being unfit to stand for office, due to her love of playing Warcraft. She plays an Orc rogue who likes nothing more than to kill, back stab and use poisons against their enemies.

Personally I think this is totally bonkers. She is free to do whatever the hell she wants in her spare time. I could understand people being concerned about her if she actually dressed up as a killer and patrolled the streets at night vigilante style, but - to attack her on the basis that she plays an online MMO is total madness.

So what are peoples opinions? Is it fair to her to drag this up in an attempt to smear her reputation?

I saw the news too, and I agree that it's crazy. They're trying this sort of slander campaign against her but it seems so lame.

Uncommon Patron

Don't ya know, we're all unfit for society because we're so uncivilized :P It's ridiculous, and the next step is to say that a person shouldn't hold a certain job or position because of the movies or tv shows they watch.

• Like 1

The media is so stupid. They will make stories about anything they possibly can. You should be allowed to do whatever you want outside of work as long as it's legal.

The media is so stupid. They will make stories about anything they possibly can. You should be allowed to do whatever you want outside of work as long as it's legal.

I don't know if you live in the UK, but if you don't I suggest you check out the incredible hypocrisy of the Daily Mail. On the one hand, they villify paedophiles and spew rage at the very idea. On the other hand, they publish pictures of 14-yo girls in bikinis talking about how they're "all grown up" and similarly horribly sexualized phrases. It's incredible doublethink!

Anything in comparison to that is, while depressing, almost obvious in comparison =\

Nice little update on this; according to Totalbiscuit, the senator mentioned here won! I'm happy that people are sensible enough to differentiate a game from real life.

• Like 2

Us Brits would like to think it's less bad in Germany than it is in our own country. I'd genuinely hate to be a politician here...

America - you have restored my faith a little in re-electing Obama! Stoove its supposed to be the Daily M*il ;)

America - you have restored my faith a little in re-electing Obama! Stoove its supposed to be the Daily M*il Posted Image

Really, wow...you must mean restored your faith that we are wanting to be a fail nation...success then I suppose.. :D

Just to note: Political debates aren't allowed in these forums. Let's please steer clear of debating the actual politics of the USA please. I don't like having to moderate.