FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
AmsterM

Online Survey: Risk Factors for Internet Gaming Disorder (IGD): Towards Lower-Risk Guidelines

Hi everyone,

I'm Amy, and I am a Ph.D. student at the University of New Brunswick Saint John in New Brunswick, Canada. My thesis topic is on the risk factors that exist for Internet Gaming Disorder (IGD), and how the presence of risk factors can lower or heighten an individuals risk of IGD (aka video game addiction) and harms associated with IGD. Currently, lower-risk guidelines exist in Canada for alcohol, cannabis, and gambling and are designed to help the general public lower the amount of risk associated with certain activities that individuals may choose to partake in. However, there are no widely acceptable guidelines that exist for video gaming. As a result, I hope to develop some preliminary recommendations on what lower-risk guidelines could look like for video gaming, that may, in the future, help determine what formal lower-risk guidelines could look like.

For my Ph.D. thesis, I have developed an online survey hosted on Qualtrics to ask individuals about their demographics, substance use, mental health, and video gaming behaviours and activities. This survey is open to individuals aged 19+, who reside in the USA or Canada, and have played video games within the past month.

If you meet the eligibility criteria and would be interested in participating in the survey, please click this link to be directed to the informed consent form and survey: https://unbpsychology.ca1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_1LjbQYJrkcWrgdE

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me at the contact information indicated in the above link (you can read the consent form without completing the survey), comment on this thread, or PM me. I welcome any comments or discussion from the community! Just be aware if you wish others to know if you have completed the study as commenting that you have completed it will make that information available to others in the community.

Thank you!

IGD Study Recruitment Poster.png