FORUMS
Staff

Steve Danuser May Have Left Blizzard in November 2023

Sn-mka-obrazovky-2024-02-09-o-13-49-35.j

Steve Danuser, the Warcraft's Narrative Lead, seems to have parted ways with Blizzard, as suggested by his LinkedIn profile.

Though there's been no formal acknowledgment from any party, indications on Danuser's LinkedIn suggest his departure from Blizzard in November 2023, after a tenure of 8 years and 7 months.

Credit to Reddit's Tigertot14 for bringing this to light.

steve-danuser-seems-to-have-left-blizzard-according-to-his-v0-80r8a3mdwfhc1.png

• Like 1

Shadowlands and Dragonflgiht was a fairly damning 4 years for anyone to put faith in this guy to direct any type of story TBH

Edited by Cham79

18 minutes ago, Cham79 said:

Shadowlands and Dragonflgiht was a fairly damning 4 years for anyone to put faith in this guy to direct any type of story TBH

Dragonflight wasn't too bad, it was mostly a whole lot of nothing compared to Shadowlands that ruined multiple characters for the sake of some modern Marvel level garbage storytelling

• Thanks 1

Now he can ask his imaginary banshee girlfriend for help ! maybe she can help him since he was so loyal to her ! 😄

• Like 1

Uncommon Patron

Regardless of anything positive in DF which Danuser may ever have contributed to, his actual legacy is -- and will forever be --Shadowlands and its universally hated mangling and near destruction of WoW's lore and story.  The very fabric that wove the heart of this game's story together and everything that multiple millions of people have loved was unraveled and shredded apart by Steve Danuser.  That... is his legacy. 

Never in the entirety of WoW's history has there ever been such an outcry against the narrative as there was in Shadowlands, and there never will be again.  Even people who had never previously bothered to really take an interest in the story at all came forth in droves from everywhere on the internet to collectively voice their disdain for the horrible writing in Shadowlands.

There are Danuser defenders and simpletons who would have everyone believe that it's Danuser's predecessor Afrasiabi who is actually responsible for the atrocities of Shadowlands, and perhaps Afrasiabi did help set the wheels in motion for the story's dismal demise; but make no mistake about the facts -- Steve Danuser was the head honcho of story and lore and narrative throughout the creation and development of Shadowlands throughout its entirety.  Immunity is a privilege he will never enjoy as long as those with the capacity for critical thinking still exist.

We will never forgive, and we will never forget.

Good riddance, steve danuser -- (upper case deliberately omitted in this final use of the name, as not even that gesture of respect is warranted for this individual.)

Edited by Swarf
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mercuryo said:

This was posted first by the Spanish fansite AlterTime...

We apologize for any oversight. Due to our inability to verify the original source of the news about Steve Danuser leaving Blizzard, we credited the Reddit post where we first encountered the information. Our priority is to ensure accuracy and fairness in our reporting, and we appreciate your understanding in this matter.

4 hours ago, Swarf said:

Never in the entirety of WoW's history has there ever been such an outcry against the narrative as there was in Shadowlands, and there never will be again.  Even people who had never previously bothered to really take an interest in the story at all came forth in droves from everywhere on the internet to collectively voice their disdain for the horrible writing in Shadowlands.

I'd argue there was something similar in Cataclysm. A lot of people complained about Metzen's "Green Jesus".

5 hours ago, Q said:

Dragonflight wasn't too bad, it was mostly a whole lot of nothing compared to Shadowlands that ruined multiple characters for the sake of some modern Marvel level garbage storytelling

I think this is a wider issue with their storytelling, Blizzard guys have mastered the way of telling stories without actually telling stories. Some expansion feel like a filler, nobody important from the good guys dies now, even some villains survive. Those who die are just some freshly introduced villains. This was already a problem with a huge part of BfA (Azshara escapes and nothing, also almost no one important from the "good guys" died). Some characters have plot armor (Jaina, Thrall, Anduin, Sylvanas, Tyrande, Malfurion and many others), there is no feeling of stakes being high. Everyone survived Shadowlands, everyone survived Dragonflight. At least Shadowlands didn't feel as much of a filler (despite the obvious issues with its story) as Dragonflight. Even the last villain escaped into what looks like another filler expansion, just to prepare the story for Midnight and possibly for The Last Titan as well.

As for their stories being inspired by Marvel, they always were heavily inspired by Marvel and D&D, among others things. Metzen himself copied a lot from Marvel's Thor (Thrall and Doomhammer) and Conan the Barbarian (Varian and also Thrall).  However, some of previous stories worked quite well, because they were simple. It was when they tried to retroactively introduce some new stuff there when it all started to collapse. For some reason, they always have to insert some new events in the past, instead of just introducing some new, independent villains. Yet it usually comes back to "they were always there, imprisoned for 10,000 years!". Jailer was obviously a bad amalgamation of Satan and Marvel's Thanos. Making him into some grand mastermind behind most previous villains was a bad idea. Retroactively, there were now various factions aligned with Jailer who fought each other for no good reason.

Anyway, we will see if Danuser's departure will have any positive impact. Let's not forget how people used to criticize Metzen, his storytelling had multiple problems as well.

Edited by Arcling

Uncommon Patron
15 minutes ago, Arcling said:

I'd argue there was something similar in Cataclysm.

That's an argument you'll lose a thousand times over.  

Never -- EVER -- in the entire history of this game, has there EVER been such an outpouring of universal hatred against the narrative as there was in Shadowlands. And there never will be again.

The entire 'green jesus' thing you mentioned is utterly laughable by comparison.  Yes people were sick of saving Thrall all the time and every other thing about Thrall at the time, but it's like a peanut next to an elephant compared to the unprecedented, utter mountain of sheer hatred heaped at Blizz during Shadowlands.  

That you would even make that comparison makes me wonder how closely you've actually paid attention to anything.  

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Swarf said:

That's an argument you'll lose a thousand times over.  

Never -- EVER -- in the entire history of this game, has there EVER been such an outpouring of universal hatred against the narrative as there was in Shadowlands. And there never will be again.

The entire 'green jesus' thing you mentioned is utterly laughable by comparison.  Yes people were sick of saving Thrall all the time and every other thing about Thrall at the time, but it's like a peanut next to an elephant compared to the unprecedented, utter mountain of sheer hatred heaped at Blizz during Shadowlands.  

No, WoW was much bigger during Cataclysm. Early Cataclysm was when they had their peak of subscribers (before huge drop later in that expansion). So interest in the game and story was much higher. People were often complaining about Metzen.

Shadowlands happened way past the game's peak. Less people cared, but of course there was a very vocal part of playerbase who hated it. However, it wasn't that much compared to Cataclysm. It might seem bigger, but it's mainly due to how social media have changed since Cataclysm's release. Playerbase was way smaller during Shadowlands than Cataclysm.

11 minutes ago, Swarf said:

That you would even make that comparison makes me wonder how closely you've actually paid attention to anything.  

Given how long I've been playing this game (and also how much of external lore I've read), this might be the least appropriate thing to say about me. If you were reading comments on this site regularly, you would know this.

Edited by Arcling

Uncommon Patron
5 minutes ago, Arcling said:

No, WoW was much bigger during Cataclysm

Where in the actual hell have you BEEN that you are so oblivious to things?  How is it even possible that someone is making your argument?  I can't begin to fathom how anyone can be this literally -- LITERALLY -- clueless. 

You're actually, legitimately attempting to make a serious argument that people's piddly gripes during Cata are on par with the shrieking outcry collectively rained down on blizz during SL.  In your mind, this is actually a valid comparison and argument.  

Ignorance on your level genuinely offends me.  It straight up pisses me off that anyone can be so astoundingly oblivious to things that they can somehow just not notice the entire world's reaction to what Shadowlands did to the story and lore of WoW.  Somehow you just... didn't notice!  If you had actually noticed, you sure as *filtered* wouldn't be comparing it to Cata as if there is any remote, actual comparison there.

What the AF?!!

People like you are bad for my blood pressure, so I'm gonna go ahead and nope out of this thread.  You can have the last word.

1 hour ago, Swarf said:

People like you are bad for my blood pressure, so I'm gonna go ahead and nope out of this thread.  You can have the last word.

Sounds like you have some serious issues going on if something like this is making you mad. Maybe you should check some facts before calling someone ignorant.

You presented no facts. The peak was 12 million subs during early Cataclysm, it was only a downward trend from there. There were some ups and downs later on, but the game never became as big again. When subs were officially reported for the last time, there were about 5 millions of them. Now we only have estimates based on addons, they suggest subs are somewhere between 2-4 million. So yes, interest in the game was way higher back then.

As I've mentioned above, social media affects how these things are perceived. There was huge backlash during Cataclysm, but it was more spread out between various sites, forums etc. Reddit wasn't that big back then for example. So with social media changing and getting bigger (also more centralized), it might seem like Shadowlands was the biggest outrage ever. I was there, people really hated "Green Jesus" and kept complaining about Metzen. Also, only a fraction of people are on these sites and smaller part of playerbase cares about lore. Most people who are still playing the game just don't post anything. So outrages like these are usually overblown. It doesn't mean there wasn't any valid criticism though. Shadowlands' story was a mess and I agree with this.

Edited by Arcling

You're presenting pure numbers, but without context, and within a pure bubble.

A lot of people left after WotLK/during Cata because the stories that began in War3/War3x (Arthas, Illidan) were now over. Sure, Deathwing had been around since War2, but that was 9 years before WoW, and 15 years before the last patch of WotLK; as an in-game figure, he was nowhere, and only the books covered him. 

If you played Warcraft pre-MMO, the end of WotLK was the perfect time to stop. You had your story resolution, you had a great time, you could stop paying monthly fees, you didn't need to hang out and help out guildies out of a sense of commitment, you could move on to a new generation of games. 

You realised you could a be gamer, or a Warcraft MMO gamer, but you knew that it would be kinda hard to be both. You had changed, WoW had changed, and it wasn't because of one green Orc.

3 hours ago, Kaji159 said:

You're presenting pure numbers, but without context, and within a pure bubble.

A lot of people left after WotLK/during Cata because the stories that began in War3/War3x (Arthas, Illidan) were now over. Sure, Deathwing had been around since War2, but that was 9 years before WoW, and 15 years before the last patch of WotLK; as an in-game figure, he was nowhere, and only the books covered him. 

I presented the context, waning interest. Most people don't quit the game just because of the story. It's a minority of players who do. A lot were angry back then about balance changes, some dungeons were considered too difficult etc. It was a combination of several factors. By then WoW has been around for a few years, so those who wanted to try it, have already tried it. 

If you played Warcraft pre-MMO, the end of WotLK was the perfect time to stop. You had your story resolution, you had a great time, you could stop paying monthly fees, you didn't need to hang out and help out guildies out of a sense of commitment, you could move on to a new generation of games. 

Yeah, but by then RTS players (like me) were a minority. RTS games didn't even sell close to these 12 million subscriptions.

You realised you could a be gamer, or a Warcraft MMO gamer, but you knew that it would be kinda hard to be both. You had changed, WoW had changed, and it wasn't because of one green Orc.

I think you misunderstood something. The discussion was about "lore bubble", what caused the bigger outrage among those interested in the lore (not entirety of playerbase) - Thrall's story in Cata or Jailer's in SL. It was true that many didn't like Thrall's story in Cataclysm. Interest in the game overall was greater during Cata (12m subs for Cata vs ~4m for Shadowlands), so during SL the amount of players invested in the story had also to be smaller, because overall playerbase has shrunk. Therefore, more people cared about Cataclysm's story than Shadowlands'. Even if it might seem otherwise, because back during Cata, less people were on Reddit, social media that tend to exaggerate the impression of the scale of some outrage were also different etc. I hope it's all clear.

Edited by Arcling

Uncommon Patron

I like to imagine Metzen made sure he knew exactly what he thought of him and how he treated the world he created before he *filtered* threw out out the door.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Grumar said:

I like to imagine Metzen made sure he knew exactly what he thought of him and how he treated the world he created before he *filtered* threw out out the door.

In some Tweets, Metzen said that he liked Shadowlands' story and was excited to see more of it. We don't know for sure if it was just false politeness or if he actually meant it, but I think he actually might have liked it. Metzen also wrote a lot of cheesy stuff (including Legacy of the Void), so him genuinely liking Danuser's writing wouldn't surprise me.

So any conflict between them is imagined, at least there is no evidence of such. Let's not act as if Metzen's writing was that great, it had many inconsistencies and it lacked any coherent planning. But of course I won't miss Danuser, because he certainly wasn't an improvement.

Edited by Arcling

Good riddance.  Dude crapped on 30 years of Warcraft history to make everything the work of the Jailer, who was actually an interesting villain other than all that stuff ruining him.  Instead of making a compelling character stand on his own, he went the route of just making him some Tzeentch-like all-powerful entity who set everything in motion because "lol just as planned".

Edited by Nobleshield
  • Like 1

Uncommon Patron
5 hours ago, Kadath76 said:

Careful with what you say 😖

I stand by what I said.  There will never be another outcry against the narrative that's even remotely on par with the seething hatred collectively screeched against Shadowlands by everyone.  Another forum participant who I now have justifiably blocked so as to spare myself any further spewing of their ignorance, habitually squealed about Cataclysm having larger sub numbers than Shadowlands, as if that is somehow important to anything. 

The rejection of what Shadowlands did to the narrative was universal and involved so much more than just a pocket niche of currently subbed players at the time.  Everyone hated it.  Old players, new players, casual players, hardcore players -- all hated it.  Critics and gaming sites and across the world universally chimed in with negative sentiments on the Shadowlands narrative destruction.  Everywhere you looked, every article you read, every user comment you read, every sentiment you ever seen expressed was, with few exceptions, filled with disappointment, anger and grief.

Years and years of story -- literally the foundation and entire accumulated lore of the game from inception -- was trampled upon and utterly mangled.  This isn't ever going to be repeated.  

People still just don't get the magnitude of what happened.  I don't know how it's even possible that some people still don't get it, but some people still don't get it.

No future grievances anyone has with the narrative, writing, lore, story, etc., will ever... ever... EVER COMPARE to this.  The very soul of the game's narrative -- everything that the rich and storied history of World of Warcraft was built on -- DIED in Shadowlands; and it was a gruesome, ugly, honorless, insulting death, the stain of which will never be cleansed or erased.

• Haha 1

On 2/9/2024 at 1:13 PM, Arcling said:

I'd argue there was something similar in Cataclysm. A lot of people complained about Metzen's "Green Jesus".

I think this is a wider issue with their storytelling, Blizzard guys have mastered the way of telling stories without actually telling stories. Some expansion feel like a filler, nobody important from the good guys dies now, even some villains survive. Those who die are just some freshly introduced villains. This was already a problem with a huge part of BfA (Azshara escapes and nothing, also almost no one important from the "good guys" died). Some characters have plot armor (Jaina, Thrall, Anduin, Sylvanas, Tyrande, Malfurion and many others), there is no feeling of stakes being high. Everyone survived Shadowlands, everyone survived Dragonflight. At least Shadowlands didn't feel as much of a filler (despite the obvious issues with its story) as Dragonflight. Even the last villain escaped into what looks like another filler expansion, just to prepare the story for Midnight and possibly for The Last Titan as well.

As for their stories being inspired by Marvel, they always were heavily inspired by Marvel and D&D, among others things. Metzen himself copied a lot from Marvel's Thor (Thrall and Doomhammer) and Conan the Barbarian (Varian and also Thrall).  However, some of previous stories worked quite well, because they were simple. It was when they tried to retroactively introduce some new stuff there when it all started to collapse. For some reason, they always have to insert some new events in the past, instead of just introducing some new, independent villains. Yet it usually comes back to "they were always there, imprisoned for 10,000 years!". Jailer was obviously a bad amalgamation of Satan and Marvel's Thanos. Making him into some grand mastermind behind most previous villains was a bad idea. Retroactively, there were now various factions aligned with Jailer who fought each other for no good reason.

Anyway, we will see if Danuser's departure will have any positive impact. Let's not forget how people used to criticize Metzen, his storytelling had multiple problems as well.

Thing is, as simple as it is and with the fact that "noone important died"...Dragonflight's story at least made sense (for the most part) and didn't attempt to rewrite swathes of established storylines to fit its narrative.    It didn't bring out "celebrity cameos" npcs only to shelf them again after they provided one showing or just have them sit in place in Oribos all expansion.     It didn't have some of the most hackneyed, *filtered* backwards heel and face turns ever to boot.    It's plain, it's boring, but it's not bad would be my summary of dragonflight's story.

6 hours ago, Swarf said:

Another forum participant who I now have justifiably blocked so as to spare myself any further spewing of their ignorance, habitually squealed about Cataclysm having larger sub numbers than Shadowlands, as if that is somehow important to anything. 

This is really sad. You are overreacting. Sounds like you have some other serious problems going on.

6 hours ago, Swarf said:

The rejection of what Shadowlands did to the narrative was universal and involved so much more than just a pocket niche of currently subbed players at the time.  Everyone hated it.  Old players, new players, casual players, hardcore players -- all hated it.  Critics and gaming sites and across the world universally chimed in with negative sentiments on the Shadowlands narrative destruction.

Since you did ragequit like an insecure child, you probably won't see this. Anyway, to make things clear (and I believe I already did so) - this is true, Shadowlands did a lot of damage to the lore. However, whole outrage about lore is exaggerated due to social media, it might seem like it was a really bigger issue than it really was. I think this poster simply ignored the facts and data presented to him and didn't grasp the context of what I really meant. Really funny to call me ignorant, when all he did was to ignore the data and context that didn't fit his opinion. WoW isn't in the center of as many people's attention as it was back in the day with its 12 million subs, there were outrages about retcons back then too, but they might have seemed smaller, because it was a different landscape - people were more spread out between various forums and communities, while today everything is more centralized, so every outrage seems bigger when you have more people concentrated in same places. Even though way less people are playing the game these days.

It's also important to note that only a smaller part of playerbase cares about lore, it was always like this. A lot of people quit the game during Shadowlands not because "Jailer story bad", but because a lot of its mechanics and systems simply weren't fun.

Jailer's story was a mess, but after such a long time a lot of people have their nostalgia going on and they forgot how flawed many other stories were and a lot of people hated them back then, too. WoW's story often lacked coherent direction, it had its own share of retcons and plotholes: Illidan's escape to Outland to hide after his failure (even though Kil'Jaeden had no problem finding him before), Arthas often acting like a cartoony villain (the way he often appeared during questlines and talked), Thrall's story in Cata, WoD with its multiverse (and also retcons to the main universe) and many other examples.

Edited by Arcling

6 hours ago, Migol said:

Thing is, as simple as it is and with the fact that "noone important died"...Dragonflight's story at least made sense (for the most part) and didn't attempt to rewrite swathes of established storylines to fit its narrative.    It didn't bring out "celebrity cameos" npcs only to shelf them again after they provided one showing or just have them sit in place in Oribos all expansion.     It didn't have some of the most hackneyed, *filtered* backwards heel and face turns ever to boot.    It's plain, it's boring, but it's not bad would be my summary of dragonflight's story.

True, at least DF didn't have any multiverse stuff like WoD (well, it did have some of it with those time rifts, but it was a smaller patch and way smaller in scale) or Shadowlands' messy story of the Jailer and Sylvanas. Speaking of "celebrity cameos", I think Malfurion might fall into this category, because they had him sleep for the entirety of the expansion, only so he could rejoin towards the end, when Ysera wasn't needed anymore. We are still left with Iridikron, so I assume they kept him to be the boss of the first raid tier. It feels like fillers will continue for a while.

I think the upcoming expansion will be, once again, merely a preparation for the "proper" confrontation with the Void which is supposed to happen in Midnight. Some important villains may die, but of course the true threat will still be coming! If Void Lords aren't completely defeated in Midnight, then we could be fighting some corrupted Titans and their servants in The Last Titan, otherwise Titans will have to turn into villains by themselves, which is also a possibility. I wonder though if all important good characters will keep their plot armor on or are we going to see some deaths, villains should feel like a threat again.

Edited by Arcling

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Stan
      Characters now have animations when you select them on the new War Within login screen.
      In the War Within expansion, the login screen now shows your Warband members gathered around a campfire. The latest Beta update added a cool feature: the character you select will perform an animation. For instance, the Hunter will load their weapon and stand up if they were sitting.
      MrGM demonstrates these animations in a short video clip. Check it out:
      Placeholder for tweet 1803328113973043540
    • By Stan
      Check out the map of Khaz Algar added in the latest War Within Beta build.
      Isle of Dorn is separated from all the three underground zones. In the new expansion, you can access the zones from within Dornogal, the main city hub and the zones have seamless transitions between them.

The Isle of Dorn map has also been added and the only zone missing a map right now is Azj-Kahet.

• By Staff
      This week's War Within Beta build brings player feedback-based Warlock changes. Blizzard addressed Demonology and Destruction, making Doom a passive to reduce Demo action per minute requirements, as well as moving some talents around for Destro. There are also many changes to the Hero trees, as well as Affliction too! 
      June 18 (Source)
      Hello Warlocks.
      This beta build contains several changes that have been implemented based off feedback we received over the past few weeks. Before we dive into those though, we wanted to thank you for the bug reports that have been sent in. We are continually working through those reports so expect fixes in this build and future builds.
      Without further ado, let’s get into some of the changes you’ll see for Warlock in this beta build.
      Demonology
      We’ve redesigned Doom to be passive, like the seasons 3 and 4 tier set bonus in Dragonflight. The primary reason for this change is to reduce the increased number of actions per minute we observed during playtesting. Additionally, Demonology has a lot of plates to spin as it is, and it felt that adding an additional cooldown to watch was a bit much.
      It is also because of this reasoning that we’ve removed the cooldown reduction for Power Siphon from Blood Invocation. Further, Blood Invocation caused a desync with most Demonology’s cooldowns.
      Destruction
      Summon Infernal has returned to the center of the Destruction tree to serve as a powerful cooldown for players to look forward to unlocking while leveling. We’ve returned Dimensional Rift to the third section as well with a new talent that adds cleave functionality to your rifts.
      To retain accessible pathing through the center section of the Destruction tree, we’ve had to remove Infernal Brand and condense Crashing Chaos and Rain of Chaos into a choice node.
      Thank you for the feedback and we will continue to keep an eye out for any further feedback and discussions.
      And here are the full changes from the development notes:
      Tuning (Source)
      WARLOCK Hero Talents Diabolist (Destruction/Demonology) The cast time of Infernal Bolt has been increased to 2 seconds (was 1 second). Ruination damage is now reduced beyond 8 targets. Overlord, Mother of Chaos, and Pit Lord are now visible to other players at a reduced scale and will retain their original scale for the summoner. Overlord now charges its target rather than leaps. Mother of Chaos’ Chaos Salvo visual has been updated. Hellcaller (Destruction/Affliction) Seeds of Their Demise has been redesigned for Destruction – Blackened Soul damage increased by 30%. When Blackened Soul deals damage, you have a chance to gain 2 stacks of Flashpoint. Zevrim’s Resilience healing increased by 90%. Soul Harvester (Demonology/Affliction) New Talent: Gorefiend’s Resolve – Targets resurrected with Soulstone resurrect with 40% additional health and 80% additional mana. Spirited Away has been removed. Affliction Death’s Embrace has been redesigned – Increases Drain Life healing by 30% while your health is at or below 35% health. Damage done by your Agony, Corruption, Unstable Affliction, and Malefic Rapture is increased by 10% (was 5%) when your target is at or below 35% health (was 20%). Malediction has been redesigned – Increases the critical strike chance of Agony, Corruption, and Unstable Affliction by 10%. Malign Omen has been moved to row 9. Dark Harvest has been moved to row 10. Demonology Blood Invocation has been redesigned – Power Siphon increases the damage of Demonbolt by an additional 25%. Doom is now passive and has been redesigned – When Demonbolt consumes a Demonic Core it inflicts impending doom upon the target, dealing Shadow damage to enemies within 10 yards of its target after 20 seconds. Damage is reduced beyond 8 targets. Consuming a Demonic Core reduces the duration of Doom by 2 seconds. Impending Doom has been redesigned – Increases the damage of Doom by 30% and Doom summons 1 Wild Imp when it expires. Doom Eternal has been redesigned – Demonic Cores reduce the duration of Doom by an additional 2 seconds. Infernal Presence damage reduced by 50%. Destruction New Talent: Unstable Rifts – Bolts from Dimensional Rift deal 25% of damage dealt to nearby enemies as Fire damage. Chaos Incarnate has been redesigned – Chaos Bolt, Rain of Fire, and Shadowburn always gain at least 70% of the maximum benefit from your Mastery: Chaotic Energies. Dimension Ripper has been redesigned – Incinerate has a chance to tear open a Dimensional Rift or recharge Dimensional Rift if learned. Raging Demonfire now extends Immolate by 0.5 seconds (was 0.2 seconds). Summon Infernal has been moved to row 6. Crashing Chaos has been moved to row 7. Rain of Chaos has been moved to row 7. Crashing Chaos and Rain of Chaos now share a node. Ruin has been moved to row 8. Dimensional Rift has been moved to row 9. Diabolic Embers has been moved to row 9. Improved Chaos Bolt has been moved to row 9. Dimension Ripper has been moved row 10. Infernal Brand has been removed.
    • By Starym
      We have another triple set of hotfixes today, with a few improvements for retail, Remix and Cata!
       June 18 (Source)
      Dungeons and Raids
      Uldaman: Legacy of Tyr Emberon Fixed an issue where Purging Flames precast visual effect was not matching the spawn location of the beam. WoW Remix: Mists of Pandaria
      Ensemble: Trailseeker’s Laminar Armor (White) now grants the correct set. Cataclysm Classic
      Faster than the Speed of Light and Vigorous VanCleef Vindicator are now granted properly after completing the achievement. Archaeology Survey equipment should now appropriately despawn.
    • By Staff
      We now also have the Beta notes for this week, with additional cross-realm guild functionality, some new battle pets to test out, Conquest rewards and other PvP changes, as well as the usual giant batch of class tuning.
      Beta (Source)
      Hello everyone! Here are this week’s updates to the War Within Beta.
      NEW FEATURES
      WARBANDS Known Issue: A Warband conversion popup may appear when you log in, however Warband conversion is not yet implemented for Beta characters. CROSS-REALM GUILDS Guild functionality has been extended to allow for recruitment and management of Guild members across all realms in their respective regions. Developer’s note: Guild banks are currently restricted to the realm the Guild is located on for initial testing. Guild bank functionality will be included in a future Beta release.
      To facilitate testing we have spun up a second level-up realm, “Turnip’s Delight”, so players can create Guilds and invite members across multiple realms in their region. CLASSES
      DEATH KNIGHT Hero Talents Deathbringer (Blood/Frost) Death’s Bargain renamed to Pact of the Deathbringer. Exterminate now deals reduced damage beyond 8 targets. San’layn (Unholy/Blood) Visceral Regeneration renamed and redesigned: Visceral Strength – When Crimson Scourge/Sudden Doom is consumed, you gain 5% Strength for 8/5 seconds. Infliction of Sorrow now deals 100% of the remaining damage of the consumed disease (was 200%). Fixed an issue that prevented Blood Beasts from spawning. Unholy Infliction of Sorrow now only functions with Virulent Plague for Unholy Death Knight. Blood New Talent: Bloodied Blade – Parrying an attack grants you a charge of Bloodied Blade, increasing your Strength by 0.5%, up to 4% for 15 seconds. At 8 stacks, your next parry consumes all charges to unleash a Heart Strike at 200% effectiveness, and increases your Strength by 10% for 6 seconds. Several talents have moved around on the Blood tree. Frost Obliteration now has an additional effect – While Pillar of Frost is active it will now also increase the cost of your Frost Strike by up to 15 Runic Power to deal up to 52.5% additional damage. Unholy Foul Infections now correctly increases disease crit chance by a flat 5% (was previously multiplicative crit chance). Unholy Blight is now passive and now surrounds the ghoul instead of the Death Knight. New Tooltip – Dark Transformation surrounds your ghoul with a vile swarm of insects for 6 seconds, stinging all nearby enemies and infecting them with Virulent Plague and an unholy disease that deals damage over 14 seconds, stacking up to 4 times. Sudden Doom no longer causes Epidemic to burst Festering Wound on targets. When talented into Harbinger of Doom, Sudden Doom now displays the activation overlay images separately, left and right, for each stack. DEMON HUNTER Illuminated Sigils now grants an additional charge only to Sigil of Flame (was all Sigils) and also reduces Sigil of Flame cooldown by 5 seconds. Hero Talents Aldrachi Reaver New Talent: Fury of the Aldrachi – When enhanced by Reaver’s Glaive, Blade Dance/Soul Cleave deals 3 additional glaive slashes to nearby targets. If cast after Chaos Strike/Fracture/Shear, deal 6 slashes instead. Art of the Glaive has been redesigned – Begins a well-practiced pattern of glaivework and enhances your next cast of Chaos Strike and of Blade Dance. The enhanced ability you cast first deals 10% increased damage, and the second deals 20% increased damage. Intent Pursuit has been redesigned – When enhanced by Reaver’s Glaive, Chaos Strike/Fracture/Shear applies Reaver’s Mark which causes the target to take 15% increased damage for 20 seconds. If cast after Blade Dance/Soul Cleave, Reaver’s Mark is increased to 30%. Casting The Hunt allows you to cast Reaver’s Glaive. Incisive Blade always increases Chaos Strike/Soul Cleave damage (was only when enhanced). Adjusted positions of Incisive Blade, Keen Engagement, and Preemptive Strike. Escalation has been removed. DRUID Hero Talents Elune’s Chosen (Balance/Guardian) Moondust now slows enemies by 20% (was 30%). Stellar Command now increases Full Moon damage by 25% (was 15%). EVOKER Hero Talents Chronowarden (Augmentation/Preservation) Temporal Burst now increases Haste, movement speed, and cooldown recovery rate by 30%, decreasing over 30 seconds (was 1% increasing up to 40% over 40 seconds). Scalecommander (Devastation/Augmentation) Unrelenting Siege now increases the damage of Disintegrate/Eruption, Living Flame, and Azure Strike by 1% every second, up to 15%. Stacks are now also used to communicate the value (was Living Flame and Azure Strike stacking up to 50%). HUNTER Trailblazer and Pathfinding have swapped locations in the Hunter class tree. Fixed an issue that was causing Posthaste to only grant 25% movement speed. It now grants 50% movement speed. Fixed an issue that was causing Born to Be Wild to falsely claim to reduce the cooldown of Survival of the Fittest. Hero Talents Sentinel (Survival/Marksmanship) Symphonic Arsenal damage reduced by 40%. Symphonic Arsenal target cap reduced to 5 (was 6). Beast Mastery Thrill of the Hunt now properly stacks up to 3 times. War Orders now properly grants a 50% chance to reset the cooldown of Kill Command. The position of Hunter’s Prey and Wild Call have been swapped. Killer Cobra in Gate 2 has been renamed to Venom’s Bite. Developer’s note: Huntmaster’s Call is providing a substantial amount of damage despite how easy it is to access. Huntmaster’s Call has had the following adjustments: Fenryr’s Ravenous Leap damage reduced by 30%. Hati now increases all pet damage by 8% (was 15%). Hati and Fenryr attack damage has been normalized and reduced. Hunters have new visuals and sound effects when Huntmaster’s Call summons Hati or Fenryr. Kill Command damage increased by 8%. Dire Beast damage increased by 10%. Dire Beast now grants 20 Focus. Survival Harpoon and Aspect of the Eagle are now baseline to Survival Hunter. Fury of the Eagle will now properly benefit from Tip of the Spear. Fury of the Eagle does not consume a stack of Tip of the Spear until the channel ends. Contagious Reagents no longer plays the Serpent Sting animation or audio multiple times. Terms of Engagement is now located where Harpoon used to be on the Survival Spec tree. Exposed Flank has been redesigned – Flanking Strike exposes a weakness in your enemy’s defenses, causing it to strike 2 additional targets at 100% effectiveness and causing Kill Command to hit 2 additional nearby enemies for 10 seconds. Explosive Shot now benefits from and consumes Tip of the Spear. Developer’s note: The following changes are targeted at smoothing out Survival’s rotation, such that you can reasonably maintain a spell priority, aren’t munching procs, and will have to more actively manage your Focus economy. We will continue to read feedback and adjust Survival’s action and focus economy as necessary. Fixed an isasue that was causing Flanker’s Advantage to substantially increase Kill Command’s chance to reset its cooldown and substantially increase Tip of the Spear’s damage bonus. Flanking Strike damage increased by 40%, now costs 20 Focus, and generates 2 stacks of Tip of the Spear. Wildfire Bomb now costs 10 Focus. Explosives Expert now reduces Wildfire Bomb cooldown by 1/2 seconds (was 2/4 seconds). Wildfire Infusion now makes Kill Command reduce the cooldown of Wildfire Bomb by 1 second (was 2 seconds). Grenade Juggler now makes Explosive Shot reduce the cooldown of Wildfire Bomb by 2 seconds (was 4 seconds). Grenade Juggler now causes Wildfire Bomb to have a 25% chance to also fire an Explosive Shot at your target at 100% effectiveness (was 25% chance to reset the cooldown of Explosive Shot). Bombardier now grants two free charges of Explosive Shot after Coordinated Assault ends (used to make Explosive Shot have 0 cooldown and cost 0 Focus for 4 seconds). MAGE Hero Talents Spellslinger (Frost/Arcane) Splintering Orbs updated for Arcane only – The first enemy damaged by your Arcane Orb conjures 4 Arcane Splinters. Spellfrost Teachings updated for Arcane only – Spellfrost Teachings now automatically launches an Arcane Orb when it procs, rather than resetting the cooldown of Arcane Orb. Developer’s note: The difference in effectiveness between Arcane Orb and Frozen Orb in single target versus AOE is stark. These changes should help Arcane Mages to feel as though they’re still getting full benefit out of their Hero Talents in single target relative to Frost Mages, who can much more easily get full benefit. Sunfury (Arcane/Fire) Lessons in Debilitation no longer casts a crowd-controlled spell when you summon your Phoenix. Developer’s note: Mages having access to a free, off global cooldown crowd-controlled spell every time they use their cooldowns was proving to be too problematic in all forms of content. Gravity Lapse now benefits from Time Manipulation in the Mage Class Tree. Fixed an issue that was causing Spellfire Spheres to be removed from players upon starting an encounter. Meteorites will now properly benefit from damage amplification effects and proc on-damage effects. Codex of the Sunstriders has been redesigned – Over its duration, your Arcane Phoenix will consume each of your Spellfire Spheres to cast an exceptional spell. Upon consuming a Spellfire Sphere, your Arcane Phoenix will grant you Lingering Embers, increasing your spell damage by 2%. Stacks up to 5 times. Spellfire Spheres now properly increase periodic spell damage. Arcane Glorious Incandescence has been redesigned – Consuming Burden of Power causes your next cast of Arcane Barrage to grant 4 Arcane Charges and call down a storm of 4 Meteorites on its target. Mana Cascade has been redesigned – Casting Arcane Blast or Arcane Barrage grants you 1% Haste. Stacks up to 10 times. Multiple instances may overlap. Spellfire Spheres are now generated by casting 6 Arcane Blasts or Arcane Barrages (was consuming Clearcasting). Fire Sun King’s Fury-enhanced Pyroblasts and Flamestrikes will correctly grant Combustion when you gain Hyperthermia during the Sun King’s Fury hard-cast. Arcane The position of many nodes on the Arcane spec tree has changed. Developer’s note: We’re making some updates to the Arcane tree this week but some extra talent nodes didn’t quite make the build. Expect to see them in the coming weeks. Nether Munitions has been redesigned – When your Touch of the Magi detonates, it increases the damage all affected targets take from you by 8% for 12 seconds. Improved Touch of the Magi is no longer a choice node with Magi’s Spark. Magi’s Spark and Nether Munitions are now a choice node. Magi’s Spark explosion damage increased by 300%. Magi’s Spark echo damage increased to 100% (was 50%). Magi’s Spark’s explosion will now properly benefit from spell damage amplification effects and will contribute to Touch of the Magi. Arcane Blast damage increased by 10%. Arcane Barrage damage increased by 12%. Arcane Missiles damage increased by 10%. Leydrinker chance to trigger increased to 15% (was 10%). Leydrinker now echoes for 50% damage (was 15%). Arcane Missiles, Arcane Barrage, Supernova, and Shifting Power can now properly generate Clearcasting. Wizened Wit removed. Nerub-ar Palace Class Set (2) Set and (4) Set Bonus updated – Now benefits Arcane Barrage instead of Arcane Explosion. (4) Set Bonus proc chance reduced to 5% (was 10%). (4) Set Bonus damage buff increased to 20% (was 10%). Fire Pyromaniac procs now count as consuming a Hot Streak, and this is now communicated in the talent tooltip. Pyromaniac Flamestrike and Pyroblast echoes can no longer contribute to Hot Streak. Living Bomb damage reduced by 30%. Sparking Cinders damage bonus reduced to 10% (was 15%). Sparking Cinders will now trigger at most 3 times a minute, increased with Haste. Phoenix Flames damage reduced by 10%. Pyroblast damage reduced by 10%. Intensifying Flames Ignite damage bonus reduced to 20% (was 25%). Frost New Talent: Permafrost Lances – Frozen Orb increases Ice Lance’s damage by 15% for 15 seconds. Ice Caller is now located at Snowstorm’s previous location. Fixed an issue that allowed Frost Spellslingers to generate Splinters with other player’s Winter’s Chill. Snowstorm removed. Nerub-ar Palace Class Set (2) Set Bonus has been redesigned – Ice Lance damage increased by 8%. (4) Set Bonus has been redesigned – Damage from Fingers of Frost enhanced Ice Lances invoke a Frigid Pulse, dealing Frost damage to nearby enemies. Damage reduced beyond 8 targets. Developer’s note: The previous Frost Mage set bonuses were benefitting Spellslinger far more than Frostfire, which contradicted our stated goals for the 11.0 Tier Sets. We’re glad everyone liked the designs of the previous iterations of the tier sets and are investigating implementing them into the Frost tree. MONK Brewmaster Heightened Guard reduced to 40%. Windwalker Chi Burst has been redesigned – Your damaging spells and abilities have a chance to activate Chi Burst, allowing you to hurl a torrent of Chi energy up to 40 yards forward, dealing Nature damage to all enemies, and healing to the Monk and all allies in its path. Healing and damage reduced beyond 5 targets. Fixed an issue that caused Chi Burst to deal more damage than intended while Storm, Earth, and Fire was active. PALADIN Hero Talents Herald of the Sun (Holy/Retribution) Holy Sun’s Avatar healing reduced by 40%. Dawnlight healing reduced by 20%. Sun’s Avatar now activates 1 Dawnlight when Awakening activates Avenging Wrath (was 4). Second Sunrise can no longer active Divine Purpose. Sun’s Avatar will now always pick players when applying its friendly Dawnlights. Fixed an issue that caused Awakening to stack from Second Sunrise. Fixed an issue that caused Sun’s Avatar to not activate when Awakening extends an Active Avenging Wrath. Retribution Sun’s Avatar now triggers 1 Dawnlight when Avenging Wrath is triggered by Radiant Glory (was 4). Lightsmith (Holy/Protection) Sacred Weapon now deals area of effect damage/healing. Shining Light stacks to a maximum of 2. Holy Divine Favor has been redesigned – Now a passive that triggers automatically after you cast Holy Prism or Barrier of Faith. Several talent locations have moved to facilitate Divine Favor’s choice node moving below Holy Prism’s choice node. PRIEST Cauterizing Shadows can now trigger from enemies dying with Shadow Word: Pain or Purge the Wicked active regardless of the duration of the effect. Added 5% spell variance to Power Word: Shield and Luminous Barrier. Hero Talents Voidweaver (Discipline/Shadow) Void Blast damage reduced by 25%. Discipline Fixed an issue causing Dark Reprimand to consume 2 charges of Premonition of Insight. Holy Fixed an issue causing Holy Fire with Empyreal Blaze active to consume Premonition of Insight. Fixed an issue causing Holy Word: Chastise to consume 2 charges of Premonition of Insight. Shadow Fixed an issue causing the range of Psychic Link to not be increased by Phantom Reach. ROGUE Hero Talents Deathstalker (Assassination/Subtlety) Deathstalker’s Mark damage increased by 100% and it now applies 2 marks baseline (was 3). Hunt Them Down damage increase by 100%. Lingering Darkness increased to 30 seconds. Flensing Knives damage increased by 100%. Darkest Night now grants 40 Energy (was 60), applies 2 stacks of Deathstalker’s Mark (was 3) and its damage has been increased by 100%. Developer’s note: These changes were applied via hotfix during last week’s Beta testing. WARLOCK Hero Talents Diabolist (Destruction/Demonology) The cast time of Infernal Bolt has been increased to 2 seconds (was 1 second). Ruination damage is now reduced beyond 8 targets. Overlord, Mother of Chaos, and Pit Lord are now visible to other players at a reduced scale and will retain their original scale for the summoner. Overlord now charges its target rather than leaps. Mother of Chaos’ Chaos Salvo visual has been updated. Hellcaller (Destruction/Affliction) Seeds of Their Demise has been redesigned for Destruction – Blackened Soul damage increased by 30%. When Blackened Soul deals damage, you have a chance to gain 2 stacks of Flashpoint. Zevrim’s Resilience healing increased by 90%. Soul Harvester (Demonology/Affliction) New Talent: Gorefiend’s Resolve – Targets resurrected with Soulstone resurrect with 40% additional health and 80% additional mana. Spirited Away has been removed. Affliction Death’s Embrace has been redesigned – Increases Drain Life healing by 30% while your health is at or below 35% health. Damage done by your Agony, Corruption, Unstable Affliction, and Malefic Rapture is increased by 10% (was 5%) when your target is at or below 35% health (was 20%). Malediction has been redesigned – Increases the critical strike chance of Agony, Corruption, and Unstable Affliction by 10%. Malign Omen has been moved to row 9. Dark Harvest has been moved to row 10. Demonology Blood Invocation has been redesigned – Power Siphon increases the damage of Demonbolt by an additional 25%. Doom is now passive and has been redesigned – When Demonbolt consumes a Demonic Core it inflicts impending doom upon the target, dealing Shadow damage to enemies within 10 yards of its target after 20 seconds. Damage is reduced beyond 8 targets. Consuming a Demonic Core reduces the duration of Doom by 2 seconds. Impending Doom has been redesigned – Increases the damage of Doom by 30% and Doom summons 1 Wild Imp when it expires. Doom Eternal has been redesigned – Demonic Cores reduce the duration of Doom by an additional 2 seconds. Infernal Presence damage reduced by 50%. Destruction New Talent: Unstable Rifts – Bolts from Dimensional Rift deal 25% of damage dealt to nearby enemies as Fire damage. Chaos Incarnate has been redesigned – Chaos Bolt, Rain of Fire, and Shadowburn always gain at least 70% of the maximum benefit from your Mastery: Chaotic Energies. Dimension Ripper has been redesigned – Incinerate has a chance to tear open a Dimensional Rift or recharge Dimensional Rift if learned. Raging Demonfire now extends Immolate by 0.5 seconds (was 0.2 seconds). Summon Infernal has been moved to row 6. Crashing Chaos has been moved to row 7. Rain of Chaos has been moved to row 7. Crashing Chaos and Rain of Chaos now share a node. Ruin has been moved to row 8. Dimensional Rift has been moved to row 9. Diabolic Embers has been moved to row 9. Improved Chaos Bolt has been moved to row 9. Dimension Ripper has been moved row 10. Infernal Brand has been removed. WARRIOR Reverted an unintentional change to Intervene’s tooltip. Hero Talents Arms Reap the Storm now also triggers from Cleave for Arms. Arms Blademaster’s Torment has been redesigned – Activating Avatar casts Sweeping Strikes and while Avatar is active the cooldown of Cleave is reduced by 1.5 seconds. Developer’s note: With recent updates to Bladestorm, this talent went from strong synergy to a near-lock-in, particularly for Slayers. Total Bladestorm uptime was also becoming disruptive, so we’ve redesigned this talent to be useful in AOE situations and provide a different rotational cadence during Avatar. Warlord’s Torment tooltip updated with detailed information. No functional changes. Fury Berserker’s Torment tooltip updated with detailed information. No functional changes. Titan’s Torment tooltip updated with detailed information. No functional changes. Odyn’s Fury damage increased by 133% overall. Reckless Abandon now buffs your next Bloodthirst and Raging Blow. Protection Immovable Object tooltip updated with detailed information. No functional changes. PET BATTLES
      Added a gossip to Questzertauren so that players can unlock 3 battle pets from The War Within as well as 3 ultimate battle pet training stones to test the new pet battles. PLAYER VERSUS PLAYER
      CLASSES DEATH KNIGHT Strangulate (PvP Talent) now overrides Asphyxiate, but its cooldown is decreased to 45 seconds (was 60 seconds), its duration is increased to 5 seconds (was 4 seconds), and its range is increased to 20 yards (was 15 yards). DEMON HUNTER Cleansed by Flame now cleanses 1 magical effect (was all). DRUID New PvP Talent: Tireless Pursuit – For 5 seconds after leaving Cat Form or Travel Form, you retain up to 40% movement speed. High Winds has been redesigned – Increases the range of Cyclone, Typhoon, and Entangling Roots by 5 yards. HUNTER Tranquilizing Darts (PvP Talent) has been removed. MAGE New PvP Talent: Fireheart – Blazing Barrier’s damage is increased by 500%. Flamecannon (PvP Talent) has been removed. MONK Grapple Weapon (PvP Talent) range reduced to 20 yards (was 30 yards). Mistweaver New PvP Talent: Rodeo – Every 3 seconds while Clash if off cooldown, your next Clash can be reactivated immediately to wildly Clash an additional enemy. This effect can stack up to 3 times. Windwalker New PvP Talent: Rodeo – Every 3 seconds while Clash if off cooldown, your next Clash can be reactivated immediately to wildly Clash an additional enemy. This effect can stack up to 3 times. New PvP Talent: Rising Dragon Sweep – Whirling Dragon Punch knocks enemies up into the air and causes them to fall slowly until they reach the ground. The following PvP talents have been removed: Mighty Ox Kick Alpha Tiger PALADIN New PvP Talent: Wrench Evil – Turn Evil’s cast time is reduced by 100%. Judgments of the Pure (PvP Talent) has been removed. SHAMAN Skyfury Totem has been redesigned – Now triggers when casting Primordial Wave (was actively cast). WARLOCK Call Fel Lord damage increased by 80%. Fel Obelisk (PvP Talent) has been removed. WARRIOR Master and Commander now reduces the cooldown of Rallying Cry by 90 seconds (was 60 seconds). Battlefield Commander (PvP Talent) now increases the radius of Piercing Howl by 50% (was root targets for 2 seconds). Death Sentence (PvP Talent) has been removed. Arms Storm of Destruction has been redesigned – Now reduces healing on affected targets by 25% for 10 seconds (was reduce the cooldown of Bladestorm and Ravager). Duel (PvP Talent) duration increased to 12 seconds and its sound effect has been changed to be more noticeable. Fury Enduring Rage (PvP Talent) can now activate Recklessness without Enrage active and the duration of the Recklessness granted has been increased by 1 second. Slaughterhouse now stacks its effect if another healing reduction effect is active and overrides its effect once its effectiveness would surpass the active healing reduction effect or the active healing reduction effect is removed. The following PvP talents have been removed: Bloodrage Storm of Destruction (Fury only) REWARDS Developer’s note: In conjunction with the conquest earned update, we wanted to provide additional context on how players will earn their weapons. In 11.0 Season 1, players can earn a set of Conquest weapons suitable to their specialization without having to spend Conquest. Players can pick up the quest, “Weapons of Conquest” either by entering a Rated PvP match or by going to Dornogal to speak with the Conquest Quartermaster, Lalandi. This quest will task them with earning 2500 Conquest, which is achievable on Week 3 of the season. Players can then complete this quest by speaking with Lalandi. She will give you weapons, shields, and off-hands appropriate for your specialization. After completing this quest, players will be able to use Conquest to purchase weapons from Lalandi as normal.