FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Hayate

Boosted Mage Low Damage

I decided to return to WoW after a few years, and used the character boost that blizzard gives you to finally level a mage like I'd been meaning to do for a long time. I like the playstyle, currently a frost mage, but I can't help but notice my underwhelming damage. I've replaced some of the starting gear they give you and am just under 500 item level, but my dps rarely goes above 1500 and my spells hit for anywhere from 700-5000. This seems pretty low to me and I was wondering if there was something in particular I'm doing wrong?

In general we always say: logs. We can never know if you are doing something wrong if we do not know what you are doing.
However keep in mind your gear IS low and you have very low stats.

Also you might not have noticed, but there has been a stat squish. I mean I generally do 30k dps on burst (2minute) with 90 item levels higher than you + meta + cloak. 
Undoubtedly you are doing some things wrong, but a) WoD is released b) LogsLogsLogs
Berlinia

In general we always say: logs. We can never know if you are doing something wrong if we do not know what you are doing.

However keep in mind your gear IS low and you have very low stats.

Also you might not have noticed, but there has been a stat squish. I mean I generally do 30k dps on burst (2minute) with 90 item levels higher than you + meta + cloak. 

Undoubtedly you are doing some things wrong, but a) WoD is released cool.png LogsLogsLogs

Berlinia

Why do you ask for logs from leveling, mate? :333

I decided to return to WoW after a few years, and used the character boost that blizzard gives you to finally level a mage like I'd been meaning to do for a long time. I like the playstyle, currently a frost mage, but I can't help but notice my underwhelming damage. I've replaced some of the starting gear they give you and am just under 500 item level, but my dps rarely goes above 1500 and my spells hit for anywhere from 700-5000. This seems pretty low to me and I was wondering if there was something in particular I'm doing wrong?

Have you read the leveling guide on our forum? About the rotation, little tricks, etc.?

I thought he was already level 100 and dummy testing. But that's a bit stupid from my part xD

Have you read the leveling guide on our forum? About the rotation, little tricks, etc.?

Yeah that was actually the first thing I did. I have my talents in line with what you guys recommend and my rotation generally looks like Rune of Power>Frost Bomb>Spam frostbolt until something procs (icy veins or brain freeze). Sometimes I open with my elemental's freeze spell. It feels like I'm doing everything right, my DPS is just lackluster. Is this normal for a frostmage of ilvl 493? I mean something just seems to be missing when I see people two shot mobs, where it takes me a solid minute of combat.

Yeah that was actually the first thing I did. I have my talents in line with what you guys recommend and my rotation generally looks like Rune of Power>Frost Bomb>Spam frostbolt until something procs (icy veins or brain freeze). Sometimes I open with my elemental's freeze spell. It feels like I'm doing everything right, my DPS is just lackluster. Is this normal for a frostmage of ilvl 493? I mean something just seems to be missing when I see people two shot mobs, where it takes me a solid minute of combat.

Umm, if you have these talents, then you didn't read my leveling guide.. :D

I was referring to this one: https://www.icy-veins.com/forums/topic/2605-frost-mage-leveling-guide-1-to-100/

And of course, those people are in heroic/mythic gear. Obviously, they one or two shot things. I usually just pull everything and use a chain of: Freeze-->Ice Nova-->Ice Nova and everything is dead. If not, then Frozen Orb.. and everything is dead in a sec.