FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Bronwyn

Having trouble with soul swap

Is anyone else having this problem:

I have a macro to use a soul shard and then apply soul swap. About 50% of the time all three dots are applied, but the other 50% of the time one of the three does not get applied. Any thoughts as to what is going wrong? Any one else having this issue?

Bronwyn

Is your hit rating capped? I've been finding that SS+SB doesn't ensure all of them will actually hit the target.

It would seem each has their own individual chance to hit, and that may be where you are having the issue.

I am loving macros as an afflock now. I'm having the same issue though and I attribute it all to hit rating. At 85 and hit capped it was great and dots never missed, now with 8% hit rating while I'm gearing up I'm constantly having to reapply dots manually so I don't waste soulshards on misses. I'm sure it'll even out when I reach 14% again.

Get used to the misses as the guide here and the askmrrobot stat weights show hitcapping to be a dps loss. Best advice is to use a good add-on to track your dots if you arent already. I personally love Power Auras. That way you can see instantly which DoTs missed and renew them individually. A bigger problem I've had while multi-dotting is losing track of soul shards and having the macro actually suck all my DoTs off the target. Currently trying Nugcombobar right under my power auras to keep an eye on those easier.

It also seems to me that if I don't time the casting of my SB-SSwap macro right it will occasionally cast a non-Soulburned Soul Swap which is preety much the absolute worst thing that could happen. To avoid this I try to delay hitting the macro until the GCD spark is in the red latency indicator on my Quartz castbar. Just wanted to add in some other disasters that I've run into, hope it helps.

Just wanted to add in here that I HATE missing, and I would love for Zagam or Damien to come in behind me and say "WTF are you doing noob?! Get hit-capped ffs!!!" :)

Edited by Skyrge

If you are not hit capped it is a dps loss.

Some people use Mr robot but I personally think it is garbage. It only sees hit as a weight number. Actually if there was some way you could set it so it would require a certain amount of hit before anything else it would be fine.

You don't need those if you remember these simple things. This is for affliction BTW.

If you are not hit capped...

-Use any enchant that has hit/expertise.

-Use combo gems with hit.

-If a piece of gear has hit and mastery, leave it alone.

-If it has hit and another stat, reforge the other stat to mastery.

-If it has neither hit nor mastery (so basically haste and crit) reforge the least important stat (crit) to hit.

Anything else Mr robot tells you is fluff and seems to actually confuse more people than it helps.

Also, what macro are you using because when I'm out of shards my macro is greyed out and won't even cast swap.

Edited by vaeevictiss

The macro I'm using is the one suggested by Zagam in Affliction tips and tricks.

#showtooltip Soul Swap

/cast Soulburn

/cast Soul Swap

I would agree with you about mrrobot if other sources didn't support the non-hitcap reforge strat with extensive theorycrafting. Namely the affliction guide on this site.

http://icy-veins.com...ority-reforging

The stat priority for an Affliction Warlock is:

• Intellect;
  • Mastery Rating;
  • Haste Rating;
  • Hit Rating (until 15%);
  • Critical Strike Rating.
These statistics have been obtained by combining common sense, in-game testing, and simulations using Simulation Craft.

Like I said above, I wish it weren't true, but my GM has told me it's the same for Shadow Priests at the moment. Could this be a sign of Blizz changing things up as far as caster stat strategy? While I am not exactly comfortable with it yet, my results are still very good (60k on most single target boss fights in Heroics). My ilvl is only 458 and I am actually forging out of hit and into mastery or crit. While my work schedule and ilvl haven't allowed me to try MV yet, I have done a lot of extended runs on the raid dummies and this strat hasn't really hurt me there either.

So I've gotten closer to the hit cap and they definitely aren't missing as often... I am (and have been) using the same macro that Zagam posted. However, I'm new to the whole macro business. HOw do i create a macro that grey's out when i run out of soul shards. I have been inhaling my DoT's too and am working on ways to develop a hand that will come out of th monitor and slap me if i try to refresh dots this way when my soul shards are low but i haven't mastered that yet either. Can you please post your macro Vaeevictiss?

HOw do i create a macro that grey's out when i run out of soul shards. I have been inhaling my DoT's too and am working on ways to develop a hand that will come out of th monitor and slap me if i try to refresh dots this way when my soul shards are low but i haven't mastered that yet either. Can you please post your macro Vaeevictiss?

I don't know about a macro but "Inline Aura" is a great addon that will display the number of shards you have on the button itself and if you like Inline aura grab "Omni CC" another great addon that doesn't clutter up the screen and puts dot timers right on the button. Hope this helps

I'm using the same macro. It may actually be some addon for my UI that's doing it lol. I have too many addons haha.

Edited by vaeevictiss