FORUMS
Staff

Christie Golden No Longer with Blizzard

33814-new-warcraft-novel-by-christie-gol

Christie Golden announced today via Twitter that she has been laid off from Blizzard's Story & Franchise Development team, effective late January.

The New York Times best-selling author is no longer affiliated with Blizzard.

Here's what Christie had to say on Twitter:

GMWNrjAbkAAHWuf?format=png&name=large

We wish Christie all the best in her future endeavors.

Source: Twitter

• Like 2

I mean, when they revealed she had no influence on the actual, in game story and moreover wasn't given advance information on how they were "planning" it, it became clear that the "she's here to fix the plot problems guys" was BS.

• Like 1

This was unexpected. It's understandable why she didn't talk about it earlier, considering what happened.

She wrote some good things, but also some bad, my opinion about her writing is very mixed. Their writing team has shrunk significantly with all these recent layoffs.

Edited by Arcling
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Arcling said:

This was unexpected. It's understandable why she didn't talk about it earlier, considering what happened.

She wrote some good things, but also some bad, my opinion about her writing is very mixed. Their writing team has shrunk significantly with all these recent layoffs.

Honestly, I think it's for the best. A bloated writing team will only lead to more mix ups and inconsistencies, shown by the various films coming from hollywood these days.

Edited by Q
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Q said:

Honestly, I think it's for the best. A bloated writing team will only lead to more mix ups and inconsistencies, we shown by the various films coming from hollywood these days.

Yeah, "too many cooks in the kitchen" can be problematic for story's consistency. It's also important to note that most of those laid off from writing team were from their fact checking section, so I'm not sure if this will actually help. To be fair, there was never a lot of long term planning going on, story was secondary to gameplay. Which is why we had cases such as evil masterminds stacking on top of other evil masterminds. I wonder if they'll stick to their tie-in book formula, because usually much of the story doesn't make sense without them.

Edited by Arcling
  • Like 1

Good riddance. 

Only thing I really remember from her writing was when she described how Sylvanas was so proud to be the first female warchief. Because that's absolutely relevant AND in-line with her as a character.

6 minutes ago, ArktiqSloth said:

Good riddance. 

Only thing I really remember from her writing was when she described how Sylvanas was so proud to be the first female warchief. Because that's absolutely relevant AND in-line with her as a character.

I do so hate Californian culture

• Like 4

Thank God she's gone, but I'd still like to know who came up with many of the absurd ideas in Shadowlands. What I'm most interested in is who decided to reforge the Helmet of Domination into Crown of Wills xD

Edited by Twojastara

1 hour ago, Twojastara said:

Thank God she's gone, but I'd still like to know who came up with many of the absurd ideas in Shadowlands. What I'm most interested in is who decided to reforge the Helmet of Domination into Crown of Wills xD

Most would say Afrasabi or, after Afrasabi's departure from the company, Danuser. Neither of which are very good story tellers, tbh, with how much of a lack of consistency there is in the game's story.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Twojastara said:

I actually forgot this happened. My brain must have locked it away. Shadowlands isn't real in my happy place 🤣 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Twojastara said:

She wasn't in charge of in game story. She wrote books and various cinematics. Most of Shadowlands was Steven Danuser and whatever Alex Afrasiabi left before his forced departure.

Christie Golden was a part of old guard. Some of her books were written before WoW, like Lord of the Clans, which was loosely based on a cancelled Warcraft Adventures game.

Edited by Arcling
  • Like 1

Yeah it's a mistake to blame Golden for the wow storyline, she was only responsible for the books from what we saw with the inadvertant social media leak of "I don't know what they're going to do in the next part of the in game story".    

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Staff
      Reddit user contidivide has created a useful app for tracking your bronze purchases. It contains a list of all items you can buy from the vendors during MoP remix and all costs!
      For more details head over to Remix Checklist!

The app was inspired by Kalsith's spreadsheet posted on Reddit a month ago, so if you prefer to create your own copy and use it locally, you will find it here. It contains all prices and items available from the vendors.

Source: Reddit + Reddit
    • By Stan
      Gear in MoP Remix works completely different from what we're used to. Find out how to get gear and upgrade it in our latest guide!
      How to Obtain Gear in MoP Remix?
      You can obtain gear by:
      Killing mobs, duneong and raid bosses. Opening Cache of Infinite Treasure received from quests. Opening treasure chests. Clearing dungeons, raids, or scenarios. Any difficulty will do. Cloak of the Infinite Potential
      You will receive the Cloak if Infinite Potential from the intro questline. More details on that here.
      Where to Get Amulets, Rings, and Trinkets?
      During MoP Remix, you won't come across any amulets, rings, and trinkets. All 3 are locked behind achievements that you must earn. Please note the achievements are character-specific, NOT account-wide.
      Timerunner's Amulet — You will receive it upon completing all Pandaria raids on Normal Difficulty (Pandaria Raids). Timerunner's Ring is rewarded upon completing all scenarios on Heroic Difficulty (Heroic: Pandaria Scenarios). Timerunner's Seal is obtained by clearing all Pandaria dungeons on Heroic Difficulty from Heroic: Pandaria Dungeons. Timerunner's Beacon is awarded from completing any of the 3 achievements with a Timerunner (Escalation). Timerunner's Idol is obtained upon reaching Level 70 with a Timerunner (Timerunner). Gear Upgrading
      Gear can have 36 ranks in MoP Remix and you need to spend Bronze to upgrade it. Some of the higher upgrade ranks, however, are gated behind character level and item level.

Gems
      Gear in MoP remix comes with a lot of sockets. There, you can insert gems that boost your character in various ways. We've got a gems guide here with more details.
    • By Stan
      WoW Remix: Mists of Pandaria starts later today and here's a short guide for the Cloak of the Infinite Potential that gains stats as you collect threads!
      Upon completing the MoP Remix intro, you will be granted an artifact cloak - Cloak of Infinite Potential. The cloak is very important, because during your journey, you collect threads that permanently add stats to it.
      How to Check the Current Stats?
      Your character will be affected by the Timerunner's Advantage buff that displays the stats of your cloak when you hover with your mouse over it.

Threads
      Depending on your current level bracket, you'll unlock the following types of threads and stats:

Level 1-29 Bracket — You can obtain common (white) threads that add +1 stat to your cloak. Level 30-49 Bracket — You can obtain uncommon (green) threads that add +3 stats to your cloak. Level 50-60 Bracket — You can obtain rare (blue) threads that add +7 stats to your cloak. Level 60-70 Bracket — You gain access to epic (purple) threads that give your cloak +12 stats. What Stats Do Threads Provide?
      Depending on their quality (white/green/blue/purple), threads will grant you the following stats:

Thread of Critical Strike — Increases Critical Strike by 1/3/7/12. Thread of Experience — Increases XP gains by 1/3/7/12. Thread of Haste — Increases Haste by 1/3/7/12. Thread of Leech — Increases Leech by 1/3/7/12. Thread of Mastery — Increases Mastery by 1/3/7/12. Thread of Power — Increases Primary Stat by 1/3/7/12. Thread of Speed — Increases Speed by 1/3/7/12. Thread of Stamina — Increases Stamina by 1/3/7/12. Thread of Versatility — Increases Versatility by 1/3/7/12. How to Obtain Threads?
      You can get threads by:
      Killing mobs, raid and dungeon bosses; Opening Cache of Infinite Treasure that you receive after completing quests; Opening treasure chests; Clearing dungeons, raids, and scenarios on any difficulty. Rewards
      When you gather 40/100/150/200/250/300/400/500/600/700/2200 threads, you will receive achievements that makes Future Timerunning characters begin with threads collected.
      Upon collecting 4,200 threads for your cloak, you will earn the Infinite Power XII achievement and receive a toy that gives you wings from the legendary cloak questline available during MoP.
      Essence of Yu'lon Fortitude of Niuzao Kindness of Chi-ji Fury of Xuen
    • By Staff
      The Remis has arrived! Players can now head into Pandaria with the new mechanics and loot, as the limited time event is on its way! Blizzard have posted a new launch trailer to celebrate, and you can check out the official preview here and our event overview here, and our full guide here. 

The event lasts until August 19th.
    • By Staff
      The WoW Remix: Mists of Pandaria event is here with new challenges, epic rewards, and nostalgic journeys. Don't miss this limited-time event—check the release dates and details below!
      WoW Remix: Mists of Pandaria Release Dates
      Region Release Date Time (Local) North America May 16, 2024 10:00 AM PDT Europe May 16, 2024 7:00 PM CEST Asia May 17, 2024 2:00 AM KST
      Event Highlights
      New Quests: Complete the WoW Remix Intro questline to gain access to new abilities and the Cloak of Infinite Potential that infinitely gains stats. New Powers: Empower your gear with powerful gems (Bulwark of the Black Ox) and gain access to new powers Epic Rewards: Earn exclusive rewards, such as mounts, pets, and gear available only during this event and transfer it over to retail when the event's over! Did you know you can buy Tusks of Mannoroth straight from a vendor? 1% Mounts: If you've been unlucky farming 1% mounts from Mists of Pandaria raids, we've got some great news for you! They can be purchased directly from vendors! Countdown to Launch
      WoW Remix Pandaria launches globally at the same time. Here are the countdowns for your region.
      North America
      Europe
      Asia
      WoW Remix Mists of Pandaria Trailer
      Blizzard has provided us with an overview covering the main features of the patch.
      Join the Community
      What are you most excited about in the WoW Remix: Mists of Pandaria event? Share your thoughts and plans in the comments below!
      Stay tuned for more updates and tips as we explore Pandaria. Happy adventuring!