FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
ChaiNspliT

I feel like my DPS is far off

Hey there guys.

I've finally reached an ilvl of 630:

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/garrosh/M%C3%A1dara/simple

And to be honest, I don't feel it's correct for me to have a mere 12-14k DPS Single target (measured in heroic dungeons), while keeping my diseases up 100% of the time.

My rotation usually consists of an Outbreak/PS opening, followed by 2x FS (to convert frost runes to death runes) and then spamming SS, until all runes reset. Basically repeating this step and spending my RP on DC as often as possible. At ~50% I start using SP, which does increase my DPS by quite a bit in comparison, but still under 16k.

For comparison, and this is driving me insane, to be honest. An IRL friend does a consistens 16k DPS Single target, while being 12 ilvl below me... 

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/Garrosh/se%C3%B1or/advanced

As far as I know, UH DK's should be above Ret Pala's in regards of Single target. 

I cant possibly wrap my head around what's happening there, can anyone help me?

I've tried to get into warcraft logs, but I couldn't find my character, so I apologize in advance.

Thanks for any help and greetings.

Edited by ChaiNspliT

Your dps is based on what?  1 minute fight, 5 minute heroic fight, target dummy.. etc.  Rets are pretty bursty and if you are talking heroic fights- they can end shortly after he's blown his load.

That said- you seem to know what to do but there is probably some mechanical failure happening since your numbers seem low and you should be above rets with a 12 ilvl advantage 90% of the time.

Hey there guys.

I've finally reached an ilvl of 630:

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/garrosh/M%C3%A1dara/simple

And to be honest, I don't feel it's correct for me to have a mere 12-14k DPS Single target (measured in heroic dungeons), while keeping my diseases up 100% of the time.

My rotation usually consists of an Outbreak/PS opening, followed by 2x FS (to convert frost runes to death runes) and then spamming SS, until all runes reset. Basically repeating this step and spending my RP on DC as often as possible. At ~50% I start using SP, which does increase my DPS by quite a bit in comparison, but still under 16k.

For comparison, and this is driving me insane, to be honest. An IRL friend does a consistens 16k DPS Single target, while being 12 ilvl below me... 

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/Garrosh/se%C3%B1or/advanced

As far as I know, UH DK's should be above Ret Pala's in regards of Single target. 

I cant possibly wrap my head around what's happening there, can anyone help me?

I've tried to get into warcraft logs, but I couldn't find my character, so I apologize in advance.

Thanks for any help and greetings.

Logs help more than anything but from what you put it seems your rotation is almost perfect but there are some things I didn't see. What is your lvl 100 talent? The go to talent for unholy is defile and it should be used on cooldown (it fits fine into our rotation). With proper usage of that you should see an increase. 

Also your gargoyle if a huge dps cooldown that does a lot of damage. Also are you using dark transformation on timmy? 

These things should give you some big boosts. In sims the BULK of a unholy dks dps comes from defile followed by soul reaper so i can't recommend defile enough :)

lemme know if this helps you

Kinda brushing on the subject, so I'll ask away.

Is it better to save up Death Coils while my Timmy is transformed as long as I dont cap RP, or should I keep doing the rotation as usual to keep proccing the regen talents to keep the strikes flowing? Whenever I do it saving up RP for when the transformation falls off it feels... well, so slow and there's a lot of waiting.

Also, how big is the actual DPS difference between saving RP and spending RP?

Edited by Ceraius

Kinda brushing on the subject, so I'll ask away.

Is it better to save up Death Coils while my Timmy is transformed as long as I dont cap RP, or should I keep doing the rotation as usual to keep proccing the regen talents to keep the strikes flowing? Whenever I do it saving up RP for when the transformation falls off it feels... well, so slow and there's a lot of waiting.

Also, how big is the actual DPS difference between saving RP and spending RP?

I tend to keep my usual rotation, however towards the end of transformation i try to pool at least 2, if i am lucky 3 DCs.

Best situation is to be in the last 5 secs of transformation with 90 RP and a Sudden Death proc.

Yo man, i've been working a lot on this myself, ran the sims, spent time running heroics purely for data, target dummy ect and i've come to the conclusion it's all about the length of the fight. Yes we have ok burst dps but we're a lot about lengthy fights, it's about soul reaper damage and your average damage over a long period of time.

At about 50% you should see your damage start to climb and overtake other people.

As raids open, LFR and raiding with guilds you'll see how much of an asset your dps is.

Also as far as i'm aware, i wouldnt FS twice then get rid of your unholy runes, you want all runes recharging so FS then SS then FS then SS, also make sure you build charges as fast as possible to evolve the ghoul. Defile is also a talent you should be using, even single target.

Logs help more than anything but from what you put it seems your rotation is almost perfect but there are some things I didn't see. What is your lvl 100 talent? The go to talent for unholy is defile and it should be used on cooldown (it fits fine into our rotation). With proper usage of that you should see an increase. 

Also your gargoyle if a huge dps cooldown that does a lot of damage. Also are you using dark transformation on timmy? 

These things should give you some big boosts. In sims the BULK of a unholy dks dps comes from defile followed by soul reaper so i can't recommend defile enough smile.png

lemme know if this helps you

Hey! Excuse my late answer, but to make it short: Yes, I was using DT on CD (saving some runicpower for DT aswell) and Defile on CD.

And as Terika already stated, the problem were the instance/dungeon length. I've run Highmaul a few days ago and noticed, that I was constantly topping the DPS charts, together with said Paladin friend (we were very close to eachother on Single target, I guess it can't be helped. Paladins are quite well in those regards.). 

And thanks a lot for all the answes!! =) 

Edited by ChaiNspliT