FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Rautx

World Of Warcraft on Ubuntu.

Hello.

I'm looking for help.

I'm trying to get WoW work on ubuntu, and I'm not sure what I have to do.

Have anyone reading these forums tried it, or uses it and can help me?

• Like 1

Thanks Damien for your answer.

That helps a lot but it doesn't work yet, must be something with the newest version or something..

I'll work on it and try to take notes of it, so I can post the solution here to help others.

I tried it last year with Ubuntu and wine, everything worked great except I wasnt able to go ultra on all of my graphic settings like I can in windows. Also, from time to time the sound would just cutout alltogether and only a restart of the client would renable it.

I have used WINE on Ubuntu in the past but it's generally easier to just run windoze. WINE will also not have the same graphics API that you would get with the latest versions of windows so you may not see performance increases even though ubuntu is easier on a computers resources. You may also be unable to use the 64bit version of the client even with a 64bit version of ubuntu running. If you are having problems with the client I would suggest checking the "use 32 bit client" in the settings menu.

If you are having issues getting the client to work properly I first of all suggest copying an install from a windows formatted drive where the client has already been installed. WoW is really great in this way as it is able to have the directory where it was installed copied and the game will still function, and not having to muck with getting the installer to run will likely remove some problems from getting it to work.

You can also head over to http://www.playonlinux.com/en/ they have basically done most of the legwork on getting games to install and run using WINE

My wife's laptop has two hdd's in it and one has linux installed. I have ran the wow client directly from the windows drive in ubuntu with WINE installed just by clicking the launcher.exe and it worked fine.

I've got an AMD CPU & ATI 6770 GPU so it's possibly not the best to be  playing  games on or at least not through Wine.  However when I  edit  the  Config.wtf file to  use  OpenGL (gives me less issues than using  D3D9) and install WineTricks I'm  pretty much set to go. I think I was even using the open  source driver for a while until I figured out how to actually use  the proprietary one. I still haven't quite figured  out the new Xorg....

I  do play the  64bit version of Ubuntu and  it all seems to work okay but  Blizzard refuses to update to the  latest OpenGL so we're  stuck with far  less  features and  lower quality  graphics  that are  available  with DirectX in  the game.

Some times it's a pain / impossible to update the game when a patch hits but admittedly I  dual boot and tend to update the game and raid  (LFR & large flex groups)  in windoze. unsure.png On my setup I can't  say that  I'm  one  of the people  getting equal  or  better performance in Ubuntu/Linux. Oh well....

It's really a shame  too because Blizzard is indirectly promoting software piracy  by not supporting  Linux (or BSD etc) because I'm sure I'm  not the only one who only has windoze  around for WoW and possibly a few other games and some  of  those  games are being supported  under Linux, partly  due to Steam. Not  saying I pirated or anything  and I certainly do not condone anyone do it and should find a free/libre  alternative instead!

I've got an AMD CPU & ATI 6770 GPU so it's possibly not the best to be  playing  games on or at least not through Wine.  However when I  edit  the  Config.wtf file to  use  OpenGL (gives me less issues than using  D3D9) and install WineTricks I'm  pretty much set to go. I think I was even using the open  source driver for a while until I figured out how to actually use  the proprietary one. I still haven't quite figured  out the new Xorg....

I  do play the  64bit version of Ubuntu and  it all seems to work okay but  Blizzard refuses to update to the  latest OpenGL so we're  stuck with far  less  features and  lower quality  graphics  that are  available  with DirectX in  the game.

OpenGL isn't a function of WoW, it's a function of the Grahics.  OpenGL is developed by your video card driver, not Blizzard's fault.

The best experience is on Windows, Period.  If you want to use Wine on Linux then you have to deal with whatever average performance you will get.  There is a complaint Blizzard doesn't support Linux.

This thread is a good example why Blizzard does not want to support Linux, there is no standard in Linux.  Every Linux is different, even with Ubuntu, you can have KDE or Unity, you can download Wine or not.. there are different builds of Wine depending on the source you use to get the binaries.  It's too difficult to manage.

Windows is the only place for games because of that, if you use Linux you have to accept a mediocre experience.

I also have tried Linux and it worked.. OK.  It was far from GOOD.  Frame rates never went over 20 FPS.. but it was usable.. barely.  Not much to do about that.

If you truly want to play WoW well it's a Windows (or MAC) game.

Edited by rjparker1

Yeah, I mainly work in Linux and also had wow installed and up and running till recently. However DirectX and the actual hardware drivers for the display and sound just gives gaming on windows a much better performance and smoother experience.

I love Linux more than windows, but when I want to relax and enjoy games / multimedia stuff I will boot up windows 7 and play / experience the media as the designers intended.

It is nobodies fault really, one just need to use the best tool for the job :)