FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
MojoTank

Prot issues in HC dungeons

Hi there,

I'm kinda new to warrior tanking after switching from DK&Druid to Warr&Monk. I have some issues with tanking as a warrior. I've read through the icy-veins guide to prot warriors but still; after queuing to random hcs I have a pretty high chance of getting that awful question: "Tank why are you taking so horrible damage?!". Well after getting in another dungeon with other than pala or monk healers it doesn't seem to be such a big issue but still have downsides.

My stats:

hsucZuZ.png

My talents:

Y2pUnyr.png

And as a bonus here's a log that I made recently: http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/x8VDgcyBWkmQfr9d

I also tried a chilled CM today, well... first boss obliterated me with a pala healer while getting 10kdmg + 30k peaks along with a steady 5k heals. Any tips would be appreciated how to decrease the incoming damage and how to improve in general.

Thanks,

Mojo

You seem to be gearing appropriately, but I'd suggest some different talents. Stormbolt is atrocious. Dragon Roar is better for single target and Shockwave is a better stun. There are basically no situation in which Storm Bolt is an ideal choice. Avatar is also a very sub-optimal choice. 20% every three minutes does not compare to 30% every one minute. Bloodbath outperform Avatar in all situations except those where the target(s) will not live until the expiration of the DoT and any time that the Bloodbath DoT cannot be applied, which is exceedingly rare. I've seen it once. You can also switch Heavy Repercussions out for Sudden Death, which does better damage.

As far as your playing goes, it seems as though you are under-utilizing your active mitigation. For the fight you linked me, you have only a 24% uptime on Shield Block where the maximum uptime possible is just over 50%. So you're getting less than half of the benefit from your SBlk than you could be. Further, I see only 8 SBar casts in 5 minutes. Shield Barrier is really weak right now, but it's definitely something you should be using if your healer can't keep up with your damage. You should prioritize SBlk though. I see good use of Shield Wall, Last Stand, and Demo Shout, but no uses of Spell Reflection. From what it looks like, I think you linked me that last boss in Skyreach, who has some frequent, hard-hitting casts. Definitely make good use of Spell Reflection, it's an incredible tool that you can get a lot of mileage out of.

Thank you for your feedback. The log is the whole Skyreach dungeon; well not quite. I joined right before the first boss and started the log recording at that point finished after last boss. With the spell reflect I'm still practising to find out where it'll be an optimal choice.

I'll however try to improve the uptime on SBlock as you mentioned and make the modifications to my spec. Seems really logical after taking another closer look. Dragonroar and Bloodbath seems to be better choices than my original ones. Thanks again for taking your time looking at the logs I provided! 

No problem! Also, don't be afraid to use Spell Reflection. It doesn't have to be the absolute perfect time to use it for it to be useful. It also has a short CD that you can glyph to be even shorter.