FORUMS
Stan

Blizzard Released Hotfix to Identify Frog Farmers in MoP Remix

79348-the-frog-meta-mop-remixs-best-farm

Ladies and gentlemen, the show is on! Blizzard has released a hotfix on live servers to identify players who participated in Frog farming. Will the affected players be banned or have their gains reverted?

As first reported by Wowhead, the hotfix targets the CriteriaTree database table, which is an unusual method to identify those who participated in the farm before it was nerfed. The said table has been updated with a new "10.2.7 Timewalking Season - Is a Frog Farmer" entry.

Frog farmers are about to get banned
byu/cub4nito inwow

We're waiting on Blizzard's comment regarding this hotfix. Stay tuned for more updates!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Personally, they should not only have gems removed, but should be banned for 5 days or so. We ALL know it is against ToS regulations and like it or not, this is why. They gained an unfair advantage and knowingly participated in farming frogs to get those gains. I wondered what was up when I opened the group finder and saw all this frog farming. I was involved in leveling so did not go over to Timeless. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

soooo they put a system in that pretty much revolves around farming mobs so people farm mobs that have a high respawn timer and now those people could face a ban/suspension... so pathetically typical of Blizz

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Borgoff33 said:

soooo they put a system in that pretty much revolves around farming mobs so people farm mobs that have a high respawn timer and now those people could face a ban/suspension... so pathetically typical of Blizz

You're jumping the wagon a little bit here. It's still completely unknown what the tracker will be used for. You have farming and you have farming way faster than intended. In this case a rollback for those characters sounds like a decent solution to me, as long as they're not losing everything but still get power for their time spent. It's possible that players who didn't farm will get something extra. It's also possible nothing happens at all.

Try to hold a judgement until you actually have the information about what you're judging. If they end up banning people then by all means complain, but this isn't helping anyone.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Borgoff33 said:

So, by your logic, if I create a society that revolves around money, then put a bunch of money in a bank- it is ok to rob it! I mean, afterall, I made the society, the money and put it there...... right? That literally makes no sense at all if you think about it.

The frog farmers knew what they were doing was an exploit. So blizz can: side with a few exploiters and slight 99% of the player base in favor of exploiters or they can do the right thing. Knowing Blizz- I have it at 50/ 50. Blizz tends to easily fall prey to exploiters, it literally happens every season now, they do not have an answer for it.

The sad thing is this was meant to bring people back to the game and get them excited for War Within. The cloak, without exploits, levels up somewhat slow (not as exciting as was promised) and when returning players see this whole exploit thing, they will say "ah, same old Blizz..." Stunned they didn't move faster on this (being a limited time event and all).

I think a good punishment could be put a frog head on their toons (that they can't remove) and give them a frogee debuff and let the regular, no exploitive (fair), players decide how to treat them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

No one should be banned…but they could just revert progress. 

People saying they should be banned worry me. Revert it for sure, but there's no rules against efficiently farming. It was Blizzard's mess up, not the players. By this logic they should ban me too for farming Atal'dazar skinning during BFA to pay for the Brutosaur just because it was the most efficient way...

• Thanks 2

It's amusing that they'd even think about action against players using a farm that was perfectly suitable in MOP classic. Just goes to show how little effort they put in when it comes to testing anything.

So much shilling / spite on this topic advocating the banning of players because they were more efficient than you and that's what Blizzard has turned WoW into with their lack of competence 😂

Edited by Cham79

3 hours ago, Cham79 said:

It's amusing that they'd even think about action against players using a farm that was perfectly suitable in MOP classic. Just goes to show how little effort they put in when it comes to testing anything.

So much shilling / spite on this topic advocating the banning of players because they were more efficient than you and that's what Blizzard has turned WoW into with their lack of competence 😂

That's a really unfair comparison you're pulling there. Yes, it's the same area and content, but everything else is a system we haven't seen before and was not active during MOP classic. It's a system to power up endlessly, and it's that system that got abused. So personally I find it an incredible bad comparison. Back during MOP Classic I farmed the reputation on Timeless Isle to exalted (people who did the same know how extremely long and tedious this was) and I can promise you that the frogs weren't even near as popular.

Most people here are against the banning and think a rollback is much more fair, including me. I personally did every questline, dungeon and stuff and doing a few raids on a daily basis now. In this legit way I'm now at around 1600 bonus stat in everything. If frog farmers were around the same powerlevel or slightly higher then sure, I'd agree they found a more efficient way. But by now I've seen many people with all stats at 9k on some people even with all stats above 10k each. That's just ridiculous and obviously not as intended.

As much as I like the occassional player that oneshots every raid boss and carries a complete raid through, it simply feels very wrong.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Pandabuffel said:

That's a really unfair comparison you're pulling there. Yes, it's the same area and content, but everything else is a system we haven't seen before and was not active during MOP classic. It's a system to power up endlessly, and it's that system that got abused. So personally I find it an incredible bad comparison. Back during MOP Classic I farmed the reputation on Timeless Isle to exalted (people who did the same know how extremely long and tedious this was) and I can promise you that the frogs weren't even near as popular.

Most people here are against the banning and think a rollback is much more fair, including me. I personally did every questline, dungeon and stuff and doing a few raids on a daily basis now. In this legit way I'm now at around 1600 bonus stat in everything. If frog farmers were around the same powerlevel or slightly higher then sure, I'd agree they found a more efficient way. But by now I've seen many people with all stats at 9k on some people even with all stats above 10k each. That's just ridiculous and obviously not as intended.

As much as I like the occassional player that oneshots every raid boss and carries a complete raid through, it simply feels very wrong.

How is a comparison of something that happened then and was happening now unfair lol. If it was a popular place to farm then, then it will be again when the content is re-released. The players aren't the ones being paid to test and remove things that aren't intended before the game goes live nor is it our job to differentiate something that shouldn't exist in the game against something that should.

The frogs weren't and aren't killed to farm reputation with Emperor shaohao (timeless isle rep), the Mogu / Yaungol were and are so unsure why you're trying to fact check me on how popular frogs were when that's not what they were farmed for lol.

Never-the-less, the comparison is more a statement of Blizzards incompetence than anything. It existed and exists as the best farm for lesser good charm of fortunes and then they can be turned in for a stat box and reputation to max every main story faction. Even without the cape stats it would be efficient to farm frogs for maxing reps and timeless coins.

I agree this forum is more tame than most others when it comes to dishing out bans to players who wanted to be efficient, I did mean overall and not just here.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, Ken007 said:

So, by your logic, if I create a society that revolves around money, then put a bunch of money in a bank- it is ok to rob it! I mean, afterall, I made the society, the money and put it there...... right? That literally makes no sense at all if you think about it.

The frog farmers knew what they were doing was an exploit. So blizz can: side with a few exploiters and slight 99% of the player base in favor of exploiters or they can do the right thing. Knowing Blizz- I have it at 50/ 50. Blizz tends to easily fall prey to exploiters, it literally happens every season now, they do not have an answer for it.

The sad thing is this was meant to bring people back to the game and get them excited for War Within. The cloak, without exploits, levels up somewhat slow (not as exciting as was promised) and when returning players see this whole exploit thing, they will say "ah, same old Blizz..." Stunned they didn't move faster on this (being a limited time event and all).

I think a good punishment could be put a frog head on their toons (that they can't remove) and give them a frogee debuff and let the regular, no exploitive (fair), players decide how to treat them.

an "exploit" (the way you are looking at it) means a bug in the system that they took advantage of and that is not in anyway what these people did. what they did was "exploit" (make full use of and derive benefit) from a non bugged farm that was designed by blizz to have the spawns it does so no none of them should face anything. they played the game as is and since this was a complete oversight that blizz never looked into its 100% on them the people did nothing wrong in a mode that will revert everything they did when its over.

58 minutes ago, Borgoff33 said:

an "exploit" (the way you are looking at it) means a bug in the system that they took advantage of and that is not in anyway what these people did. what they did was "exploit" (make full use of and derive benefit) from a non bugged farm that was designed by blizz to have the spawns it does so no none of them should face anything. they played the game as is and since this was a complete oversight that blizz never looked into its 100% on them the people did nothing wrong in a mode that will revert everything they did when its over.

Most players have been playing this game over a course of years. Certainly if you are doing something like farming frogs, you know the game well, the mechanics well and how it all works. You also know what Blizz intends and what they do not want you doing. In short, you should know that Blizz does not want you farming frogs. Yet, they did it anyway. That's a risk and it comes with all the dangers that taking a risk entails. 

If you speak to the players that did this, I guarantee they knew there was a chance that they could face repercussions, yet they did it anyway. They chose to do as and face whatever comes their way. I personally wouldn't have risked it over a limited time event and a 90 day cloak, but hey, each person has their own priorities in life.

On 5/23/2024 at 6:49 AM, Ken007 said:

this is more like.. if you had a bunch of money, climbed to a tall building and dropped  it off the edge the expected the people below the building not to collect the raining money.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Ken007 said:

Most players have been playing this game over a course of years. Certainly if you are doing something like farming frogs, you know the game well, the mechanics well and how it all works. You also know what Blizz intends and what they do not want you doing. In short, you should know that Blizz does not want you farming frogs. Yet, they did it anyway. That's a risk and it comes with all the dangers that taking a risk entails. 

If you speak to the players that did this, I guarantee they knew there was a chance that they could face repercussions, yet they did it anyway. They chose to do as and face whatever comes their way. I personally wouldn't have risked it over a limited time event and a 90 day cloak, but hey, each person has their own priorities in life.

they broke no ToS and farmed something not broken or bugged in anyway if Blizz is going to punish people for farming content in that way they will have to punish damn near all the WoW population 

12 hours ago, Toraus said:

this is more like.. if you had a bunch of money, climbed to a tall building and dropped  it off the edge the expected the people below the building not to collect the raining money.

This is actually illegal and falls under theft. If you take no appropriate measures to find the owner of the lost goods then it is considered theft. Sure, it might not feel like it and in most cases you can run off and keep it a secret. But if the police ends up at your door you will be at a disadvantage.

Maybe not the best example 😉