FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Tazz

(PvP) Destruction Warlock in Warlords of Draenor

Hello guys.

I guess I should clarify that it's been 5-6 years since I've played WoW and much has changed.

I've always played destruction warlock and enjoyed PvP. 

Enjoying PvP was also my intention when I recently came back to WoW as a destruction warlock although all it brings me is pure frustration. My talents are shown in the bottom of this post.

I am lvl 100 and my ilvl is merely 606, but the more I play the more I realise that my problem goes beyond gearing.

Yesterday, I engaged a lvl 98 priest since we wanted the same ore vein. 

CC:

None of us moved much during the battle - we were basically just firing spells at each other. He didn't interrupt me at any times while I feared him, stunned him, and silenced him with my fel hunter (almost always to interrupt his heals).

DPS:

Immolate was up for some of the fight and RoF was up for most of the fight and as stated, he didn't move much, so he was hit a lot by it. 

I used both of my dark soul charges during the fight + a trinket to increase my damage. I conflagrated to take advantage of the 30 % reduced cast time for my next three incinerates and when I had enough burning ember, I would use chaos bolt.

I ended up being the one dead even though I used a healthstone. I got him down to about 21-25%. Shadowburn could not be used at any times.

Now, this was a specific example.

To be more general: Fighting DK's, druids, rogues, warriors, paladins, shamans and monks I don't stand a chance at all.

I have no idea how they're able to put out so much damage while I'm hardly able to get them below 70 % of their maximum hp. I'm using Unending Resolve, Blood Horror, Seduce, Fear, Demonic Circle to get away from melees or reduce their damage only to have them on my back a second later and outdamaging me by far! Having a 2.5 sec cast spell hitting for about 25k (chaos bolt) on melee's with 200k hp seems ridiculous with all the healing going on for most classes. 

I desperately seek advice on how to improve the way I pvp as a destruction warlock.

Where's my BAM-BAM-you're-dead ability?

Have I turned into a terrible player? If so, any tips on how to improve my play?

Is destruction useless in pvp?

Thanks.

Talents:

15 Soul Leech

30 Shadowfury

45 Soul Link 

60 Blood Horror

75 Grimoire of Service

90 Archimonde's Darkness

100 Cataclysm

I am lvl 100 and my ilvl is merely 606, but the more I play the more I realise that my problem goes beyond gearing.

Yesterday, I engaged a lvl 98 priest since we wanted the same ore vein. 

At level 98, you get a higher bonus to secondary stats per point of secondary stats than you do at level 100.  This is why 100 Multistrike rating was worth a lot of Multistrike percentage at level 90 but diminished, as did your other stats, as you came closer to 100.  At 98, he's likely toting more secondary percentages than you are.  The level, actually, with the item squish and changes is an advantage, not a disadvantage, so long as the person you're fighting isn't 3 levels ahead of you.  Also, at 606, you're almost at the very bottom of secondary stat percentages.  Get more gear - it matters a lot.

You really need full 675 or close to it to start thinking about class balance. It's very easy to acquire full blue honor gear right now and the difference between it and even middling 620-630 gear is huge. With that said, destruction will almost never kill someone with a healer or a healer themselves. CC and interrupts are so worthless that I started running succubus sac.  You're really relying on people not noticing you in the back or just throwing people off the battleground right now, as destruction.

I've heard good things about Charred Remains and have been running it myself. It has been good and you aren't really doing much with incinerate spam anyway

At level 98, you get a higher bonus to secondary stats per point of secondary stats than you do at level 100.  

Aha, I didn't know this. It makes a bit more sense to me then!

You really need full 675 or close to it to start thinking about class balance. It's very easy to acquire full blue honor gear right now and the difference between it and even middling 620-630 gear is huge. With that said, destruction will almost never kill someone with a healer or a healer themselves. CC and interrupts are so worthless that I started running succubus sac.  You're really relying on people not noticing you in the back or just throwing people off the battleground right now, as destruction.

Okay, hopefully you won't see me around on the forums whining when I get 675 gear ;) I did actually outdamage a moonkin-druid yesterday, so I'm on the right track. I just thought they sort of scaled the gear in BG's. Some of my gear suddenly had "650" written on it. 

I guess I do rely on staying in the back not getting noticed. Still miss more overall damage or nuke though. Heard something about warlocks being buffed lately though? Someone told me destruction got an overall 8 % more damage - I haven't confirmed it yet. 

I've heard good things about Charred Remains and have been running it myself. It has been good and you aren't really doing much with incinerate spam anyway

I'll give it a go for my pvp-spec, since I believe you're right about incinerate. Cataclysm is just amazing PvE :)

I'll give it a go for my pvp-spec, since I believe you're right about incinerate. Cataclysm is just amazing PvE smile.png

I'm finding cataclysm is awesome to use in PvP, combine it with shadowfury and procs/dark soul and it will do some damage.

Edited by Kink

I've also found cataclysm to be quite good combined with shadowfury. It just took a while to get the combo executed properly. Our mobility is also quite crap, but if you're in BGs like AB and you're able to set up different portals to protect a certain flag, then it's actually possible to kite an opponent and take them down. 

My greatest discovery must be sacrificial pact though, which basically gives you a shield absorbing 80 % of your pets current hp. It's quite powerful providing great survivability in combination with blood horror, unending resolve, and healthstones. 

I can accept the fact that our mobility is bad now that our survivability potentialy can be really good (requires the right talents obviously). 

Assuming my faction is winning in BG's, I would usually end up with a pretty good score in BGs (judged by the amount of kills). This is mainly because of shadowburn though, which is an extremely powerful spell. My overall damage in BGs on the other hand is most of the time only around 25-33 % of the top DPS'er in the battleground (usually a hunter or paladin topping the damage). 

With proper use of havoc, dark soul and cataclysm I guess I should be able to get my damage up, but it seems hard to get people down to 20 % hp so you actually can use shadowburn. Incinerate just doesn't do the job and this is by far the spell I'm using the most - how else are you supposed to generate your burning embers?