FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
druzle

mage proving ground struggles

I would just like to say that I'm so happy to see people actually trying to help here rather than the crap posted on the battlenet forums.

I'm having issues too with both my mage and warlock. My disc priest got silver fairly easily but these 2 dps...ugh! It seems I may have been doing the amber stuff incorrectly though. My idea was to down the amber guy immediately so he wouldn't drop any amber blobs but they give you a dps boost???

• Like 1

I would just like to say that I'm so happy to see people actually trying to help here rather than the crap posted on the battlenet forums.

I'm having issues too with both my mage and warlock. My disc priest got silver fairly easily but these 2 dps...ugh! It seems I may have been doing the amber stuff incorrectly though. My idea was to down the amber guy immediately so he wouldn't drop any amber blobs but they give you a dps boost???

Yes, the blobs will make your life a lot easier if you position them right.

I found it better not to interrupt the amber weavers.

In higher waves you'll need your interrupt CD for the healers.

If you take the glyph that gives your blink two charges, it's really easy to evade the globes. Just blink through them and position youself behind the target you want the amber globe to hit.

Also as already mentioned Ice Nova is great because it gives you an additional interrupt for the healers.

I don't know what people have been talking about with this being hard for mage my friend said he couldn't beat it took but 37 tries but my thing is like I did it on my first try on my mage who was ilvl 590 and fire which is deemed to be the worst of all 3 specs, I've also don't it as arcane just to see if it was harder as arcane. It was not.

Had a bit of a struggle at first also. Took 6 tries. Ilvl, talents, spec, etc didn't make a difference. What DID make a difference was positioning for 8th wave. Instead of facing straight at adds with door behind me, I moved to the right side so adds kinda lined up. That way the amber was certain to hit a healer, then blink to opposite side and the other amber will hit other add. Focus on healer and DONT miss interrupt.  Using the amber to your advantage is a must.  I only had 8 sec left so still pretty tight.

• Like 2

I haven't been playing years like you all have.. And I know this is an old post but wanted to say I hope you were able to find a way past the proving grounds... AND that you are still playing!! If I were on an eu server would gladly run with you!! What you may be losing in dexterity doesn't mean you do not have the knowledge to get this done and much more useful game advice, by no means!! If someone were to write macrs's for you and maybe a different keyboard/mouse might help!! <3

• Like 1

Sheep the banana tossers & get the orb on the sheep & nuke the banana tosser while it's ambered (get used to this, if you ever want to try gold!!) 

Sheep was the spell that got me over the edge, never thought of it before. Chasing banana tosser around, even with icyfloes was just insane.  

Sheep was the spell that got me over the edge, never thought of it before. Chasing banana tosser around, even with icyfloes was just insane.  

As Frost it was no issues :D but idd it can just make it easier

I've been playing wow since the beginning (am senior in years).  Had no problem doing silver proving grounds on my hunter (one-shot), took a few tries on my shammy, but am really stuck with my mage.  Casts are too long on frost, although the AOE is good for small adds.  Tried arcana, but don't seem to have any good AOE and I run out of time on the small adds in the 2nd round.  I've done Heroic HM and am doing BRF, but can't get the blasted silver proving grounds, so can't do the heroic dungeons to get my first tier legendary ring.  Is there a video or something I can watch?

• Like 1

I'm having a nightmare trying to get through silver lvl in proving grounds with my frost mage.  It just seems to me that resetting the entire scenerio every time you crash and burn is counter productive.  If the idea is to test skills for heroic dungeons and raids then repetition of each level doesn't move you toward solving the level you burn on.  But if you restarted at that lvl, even if you repeat it a few times it would be practicing the area that you need to improve to move on.  Not starting at the beginning where you've already shown your competent.

I agree with the older players on here. Some of this seems to lean heavily towards the more adroit generation raised on video games and the nimbleness they've acquired is truly astounding but some of us old farts just like to play.  In fact we've been playing long enough that this proving grounds thing seems a bit punitive to players who are not as facile but do know what they're doing in raids and dungeons having done upteen of them. 

Check the age and longevity of the account and give us an alternative that doesn't make us feel we're being discriminated because of our age.  

I'm finding the silver proving grounds quite difficult on arcane spec. I have tried over 60 times and fail when on wave 6 7 and 8. I fail to comprehend why I have to do proving grounds in order to do dungeons when dungeons are put forth as a group task not a solo task. I refuse to change my preferred spec simply to do an achievement in order to do heroic dungeons which i get quests for everyday yet am unable to do due to  blizzard putting a limitation on doing them without proving myself. 
I did not have to do any proving ground in previous expansions to do heroic dungeons..so why should I have to do it now? It can't be as simple as working with a group since it is not done as a group and 70% of groups I have been with in dungeons do not work well together. Most seem to be friends that like to kick other members of the group or berate people for their chosen race/class.