FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Zayl

What am I doing wrong? Can't heal up the group ! Help please :(

Hello !

A little bit of background : I started healing in holy at BC, played a lot, played a little less at WOTLK and at Cataclysm, then stopped.

At the time I had NO problems, I would even say I was good at it.

Now, I think healing in heroics is like hell. I dont like so much the new gameplay.

1) PoM no instant anymore due to PvP balance (wonder why Blizzard still can't change a skill whether you are in a PvP or PvE zone...). I used to cast all the time this spell in fights that required mobility.

2) Heal is not a greater heal anymore.
Before : healed a LOT more and had a slow cast-time (normal for me)

Now : heals as much as Flash heal (lol) but still has a slow cast-time

So if i get it, Blizzard added a difficulty to healing since Heal is efficient only if u do 2 Flash heals before.

Nevermind, I have to get used to the fact that its not like in the previous extensions...

I've read the Icy Veins Holy Priest three times and I still don't get why I'm having a hard time.

When my group takes damage (during boss encounter for example) :

(assuming PoM is already on tank or other group member)

1) Immediately CoH

2) Renew on all members

3) Flash heal x1 on one member

4) Flash heal x1 on another member

5) Oh wait, the tank ! HW:Serenity on the Tank + Heal

6) Refresh the Renew 2 members doing Binding Heal (with Glyph) on one of them (both players will refresh renew)

7) Still, the group has 50-60% HP, same as tank.

Sometimes, i put HW:Sanctuary under the tank, because doing it on casters is useless since a lot of boss encounters require to be mobile...

What else? Nothing else. I just can't get it right, I feel like sh*t, I was a boss in BC/WOTLK and now I feel my heals are useless... While I have doubled my APM !

Anybody can save me? Tutor me ?

Armory link : http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/hyjal/It%C3%A0rill%C3%AB/simple

Thanks a lot.

Edited by Zayl

Okay, I can give you a few pointers from the short time I played holy at the start. 

Renew: keep on tank 100% of the time, and on you if you have trouble keeping yourself up, otherwise you'll gimp yourself for mana keeping 100% uptime on a spell that's not gonna save your butt. *IF* members take a small amount of damage and it's not urgent you heal it up right away, stick a renew on them at let it tick.

CoH: If everyone is constantly damaged USE IT ON CD it is your STRONGEST spell and does the MAJORITY of your healing. I just stayed in Chakra:Sancturary so I practically always had it up, and if I wasn't gonna hurt for mana I'd use it on only a couple of people damaged, but I don't know if I'd recommend this to you.

PoM: Because of the cast time, I tend to only use it pre-pull and in any downtime. Words of Mending your lvl 100 talent will make sure it's always rolling which is nice because it does a fair amount of healing.

I personally never found myself in Chakra:Serenity.

Okay, now for actually healing.

Before the pull, place down your Lightwell and when it comes off CD and you're still in the boss fight, cast it again!

Now lets say everyone has just taken some damage, okay cool use a nice CoH. DPS and yourself should be mostly topped off due to not taking hits to the face from the boss and lower health pools. But your tank needs healing. If it's not urgent, you can get away with casting a heal - but make sure renew is up on him! - if he's gonna take another big hit in the 2.8 or whatever seconds it's gonna take to cast renew, flash heal. Use your 90 talent on CD if it's not gonna overheal. ALWAYS keep YOU and the TANK alive over DPS if a DPS and the tank are gonna die within the next few seconds HEAL THE TANK he is important, if he dies you've probably wiped. If everyone is taking constant AOE damage, spam PoH and use CoH on CD.

Guardian Spirit is your friend! If the tank is gonna die and you're not gonna be able to heal him USE IT. EVEN on trash it's a LIFESAVER. Never be afraid to use it on yourself either. But I wouldn't recommend on a DPS. And remember, it increases the healing taken from the target it's cast on.

Divine Hymn is also nice, because not only is it a nice way to heal up AOE damage, it also increases healing done to the target! So before you Divine Hymn (as long as it's not urgent) maybe pop a renew on all targets.

Those are just a few pointers, I'm gonna leave it here tho as I haven't been playing all that long and been playing holy for an even shorter amount of time. But I hope I've helped a bit and that other people can give more insight into what I've said.

• Like 1

Hi,

In addition to what is already posted you could also make use of PW:S to give you a buffer too.

Cooldowns cooldowns cooldowns, dont be afraid to use them.

I forget the chakra names regularly but, i found chakra of single target spell (lol) better than chakra of sparkly aoe in some 5 mans :P

Be sure to track your EoL on the tank at least and once you replace those lackluster trinkets it should get better.

I have found the DMF trinket quite nice and got it relatively cheap on my server but i cant speak for yours.

Funniest thing about the DMF tinket is that mine always seems to proc when i log in ROFL.

• Like 2

Win smile.png

If it helps Brew, Sanctuary is the aoe one; I think of Sanctuary as a place for people to gather

I forget the chakra names regularly but, i found chakra of single target spell (lol) better than chakra of sparkly aoe in some 5 mans tongue.png

Edited by Maplefire

Hello guys,

I hear what you say. And I do what you tell me.

Yesterday, I just tried Auchindoun in challenge mode, couldnt do anything on the last boss.

I've never felt so powerless, the dps took so much damage I couldntt heal it.

I did dispell the Immolate and Corruption, when the dps took damage i CoH and Renew on them. But couldnt Flash heal because I had to heal the tank and because i always have to move to not take the flames.

Spam PoM + CoH when it is up, Renew on the DPS (and the tank of course), sometimes Flash heal on the DPS but it's like i'm healing 7-10% of their health with that spell, and thats not so much considering they lose so much health...

I was about to delete yesterday seriously... Coudlnt take it anymore, this is the first time I have trouble healing and the fact i'm feeling powerless now is crushing my ego.

Before you delete the toon, I would say at least try disc and/or shadow. No reason to waste a perfectly good toon.

I found when I tried holy, that I also had problems keeping up. What are you using for your level 90 talent? For dungeons, I've found that halo works if you can get to a good place to use it. I always use it whenever it comes up, that may help. 

Also, keep in mind that many random dungeons aren't doing mechanics. That can make it harder for you to heal. 

• Like 1

Zayl it sounds like you might be running into people failing at mechanics and preventing damage to themselves.  There is only so much you can do as a healer.  I haven't really tried out Holy yet, I'm bloody determined to do everything as Discipline right now.

• Like 1

I see no mention of Lightwell. That one is rather mandatory on bossfights aswell.

I myself find Divine Hymn rather lame for 5 men grps, So I rarely use it.

I also have the talent that procs the instant Prayer of Mending (its not recommended by teh guide but I like it alot)

I mostly play in the serenity chakra and im not afraid to use flash heal if needed, but "try" to stay relaxed and use Heal as much a possible (thus proccing the PoM regularly)

Holy in dungeons is largely about Renew.

Glyphed BH and Renew make it an incredibly powerful dynamic, but don't be afraid to use Flash Heal or Heal when needed! When you're not geared or doing CMs, the damage can be overwhelming.

Healing is all about keeping a cool head in tough situations and make good judgments. Know your spells and the damage pattern and you'll do fine. Remember that fights in dungeons are short and mana is less of an issue then.

• Like 1

Hi, I was in the same boat, played healer for the first 8 years of wow, have been in some of the top guilds, and I came back for WoD pulling my hair out. Totally changed my play style in order to improve as we wiped and it was my fault in a CM, couldnt believe it. I've found however that disc is almost mandatory for some fights. Even after starting raiding last night I was pulling my hair out, swapping between disc holy. I found Auchindon to be a ball buster as holy, changed to disc, and did the whole place first time. I'm yet to see a fight where I prefer holy, but I keep swapping back and forward trying to find the niche for it.

I suspect (Not currently in a large raiding group) that holy is very much a support healer for larger groups.

• Like 1

I have had a lot better luck in CMs with Dics.  When it came time to do Auchindoun, I didn't even try Holy so unfortunately I cannot speak as to how to approach the last boss in that spec.  I have been able to Medal in all CMs as Disc with relative ease as opposed to falling behind as Holy.  Without a doubt though, pugging CMs will eventually leave you bald!  Getting a solid group together that CC properly and does not stand in fire will do wonders for your mana and your ego (Holy and Disc)!

Holy really does shine a lot more prominently in raids.  Both specs rely heavily on a very narrow part of their toolkit, which I am not a fan of at all BUT the point being made which I do love is that they are both competitive!