FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
lockish

expected dps i level

I just want a straight answer to this:

at 630 I level what dps should I expect to see?

The average skill level wow lock should be pulling x on Heroic bosses.

I'm not taking this as 100% fact more like.. well you should be doing around x y z or.. you need to read more guides.

Thanks all for the help!

13-14k on ST boss with no potion or Terror Guard. 22-25k with pot/Guard is about what I was seeing at that ilvl if I remember right.

Demo is probably playing the best in 5 mans. I dropped destro as soon as I saw the hotfix notes though. Guessing it's a living ember hell. because RoF was so huge. Aff is fine in terms of raid dps competition, but it's likely to either suck on trash when your group is geared, or be amazing if your group lacks good dps, and stuff lives too long and lack of AOE doesn't mean much. I tried it all for all of abut 5 minutes before saying "fuck this shit" and moving right along.

On boss fights, they can all have their moments, but you're going to be most consistent sticking with demo and/or aff.

Edited by Astynax

Demo is probably playing the best in 5 mans. I dropped destro as soon as I saw the hotfix notes though. Guessing it's a living ember hell. because RoF was so huge.

On boss fights, they can all have their moments, but you're going to be most consistent sticking with demo and/or aff.

I'd say that this is accurate.

The patch cost me about 5K DPS on trash and pretty much any remaining fun that Destro held. If you're already geared into Destro, Demo will use similar weights and might be easier to transition to. It's also a lot less one-dimensional than affliction is right now and seems to have the strongest resource gen of all three specs.

Demo will use similar weights and might be easier to transition to. It's also a lot less one-dimensional than affliction is right now and seems to have the strongest resource gen of all three specs.

I'm sorry sir, are you implying that a spec with three whole DoTs AND a secondary resource could ever in any way be mind-numbingly boring to perform the rotation for? /s

i'm using Demonic Servitude instead of SB:H... i think the problem might be in my shard management... with DS i try to keep on the haunt debuff all the time (for the 30% increased dot damage) since i don't have good trinket to proc the big haunt damage..

maybe i need to try SB:H (which i use in pvp) and try to find a better management for my shards cause when i tried it i ran out of shards pretty quickly... but i must admit i was overgreedy and tryied to keep both up (the +20% buff and the +30% debuff)

You won't be able to keep the Haunt buff and the SB:H buff both up all the time, just no shards for it. Right now it's still hard to even keep the SB:H buff up 100% unless you get a little lucky.

Once we have the T17 2pc shards will be a LOT easier to take care of.

so i take SB:H.

if the fights it's a single target fight it's better to use the Haunt not-empowered (30%>20%) since if there is just one target we can keep the debuff 100% of the time (or very close to)

if it's a 3+ target fight it's better to keep (or trying to) the SB:H buff up cause it's 20% x 3+ target

but...

if it's a fight with 2 target?

whats better?

SB:H cost me 2 shards to have 20% increased dot damage on two targets.

but two non-empowered haunts costs me the same in shards but i'll have +30% on two targets...

it's impossible to keep 2 non-empowered haunts debuff? at higher haste ratings?

if you say that it's difficoult to keeb the SB:H buff all the time, and it's a buff that costs 2 shards every 30sec (with the pandemic) it would cost 3x to keep 2 non-emp haunt...

the math is correct?

so i take SB:H.

if the fights it's a single target fight it's better to use the Haunt not-empowered (30%>20%) since if there is just one target we can keep the debuff 100% of the time (or very close to)

if it's a 3+ target fight it's better to keep (or trying to) the SB:H buff up cause it's 20% x 3+ target

but...

if it's a fight with 2 target?

whats better?

SB:H cost me 2 shards to have 20% increased dot damage on two targets.

but two non-empowered haunts costs me the same in shards but i'll have +30% on two targets...

it's impossible to keep 2 non-empowered haunts debuff? at higher haste ratings?

if you say that it's difficoult to keeb the SB:H buff all the time, and it's a buff that costs 2 shards every 30sec (with the pandemic) it would cost 3x to keep 2 non-emp haunt...

the math is correct?

Math is correct. You've got some faulty logic though, so it's actually not. At least not the way I did it. Locky may correct me if I'm wrong here, because I'll be playing aff when I have to.

You're not going to have 100% haunt uptime without SB:H. So 2 shards nets you 16 seconds of 30% damage. We'll assume that you can generate 2 shards every 30 seconds, for ease of math. Lower will skew the math away from SB:H, to a point, and then return it. Higher will skew towards SB:H.

16/30 = 53.3% uptime. of a 30% increase.0.3 x 0.533 = 0.1599, or ~16% effective DPS increase from haunt.

30/30 = 100% uptime of a 20% increase. 0.20 x 1 = 0.20, or 20% effective DPS increase from haunt.

This ignores the fact that you can apply haunt as well, if you're drowning in shards, and during execute.

Shorter fight times are going to shift the curve away from SB:H. Getting more shards in the fight, for whatever reason, is going to shift the curve away from SB:H. Considering that when I was playing destro, I was getting like 28% of my damage from my terror guard, this seems pretty shitty, but I'm literally just plugging in numbers. The short answer is going to amount to that IF YOU CAN AFFORD THE SHARDS, it's probably almost always better to have the stacking damage amp.

As for your 2 target question, the answer is pretty simple. Just change the math to 8/30 sec, or  26.7% uptime, giving you 0.08, or 8% effective dps increase, compared to 20%.

Anything past this, is probably a job for Ghada in Simcraft.

Way to early for me to read and understand that math.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VgrKMcynD5K1OwdpvRqZkygrRzKviD8szX20q26G5rI/edit#gid=63878043

Spreadsheet I made for the aff guide showing average shards per fight time and haste level.

The shards you get will (normally) be higher then what is listed since it doesn't account for Bloodlust or DS. for my warlock I sit at about 8% haste with raid buff and am able to keep around 95% uptime on SB:H

From my quick read what your math is forgetting is that you still get the 30% haunt from SB:H,  you just dont get it for as long. Also taking SB:H turns your terror guard into a cooldown again, a very powerful one.

From my quick read what your math is forgetting is that you still get the 30% haunt from SB:H,  you just dont get it for as long. Also taking SB:H turns your terror guard into a cooldown again, a very powerful one.

true i miss the fact that with SB:H i still get the debuff.

anyway today i've made like 10 hc runs with SB:H.

On trash my dps was ridicolous compared to others when there are aoe situation i'm simply useless.

even when there are just 3/4 mobs (and i should shine there as affli) witouth playing Misery i'm simply behind everyone (around 8-10k).

On bosses i'm around 11-15k but i see around people that can easily outdamage me.

If the fights require a lots of movement of course in the long run i can do a good amount of damage, since my dps is not so high but is very stable, but most of the fights i see myself behind.

is this the hc affliction standard?

Agravian - Sounds fairly standard to me. I tried aff today and yesterday and i'll use everbloom examples for the DPS.. AoE was horrible, just awful so I hardly felt useful of trash getting anywhere from 8-14k depending on what felt like luck. Witherbark was a static single target DMG fight and I sustained 21k DPS on him. The 3 council guys surprised me, as there was no INCREASE in DPS keeping up 3 sets of DoTs, but rather the same 21k. Seems I just traded my single target burst for more even dmg spread. Overall, AFF felt nice for boss fights nd I hope it makes it into my finalised dual spec for wednesday.

ON THAT NOTE ;D What are people planning to run in Highmaul? I'm leaving towards Destro-Aff, but they're different gear sets.

Destro sac/cata feels good for trash and multi-target fights - but falls behind at higher ilvl simcraft so I don't wanna gear for a spec soon to die.

Demo sup/DB felt icky. It's probably a L2P issue but I hate the stance dance mechanic. Fairly 'decent' dps on all target numbers from 1-8.

Aff sup/SB:H was great single target, but the more targets you added the worse it got.

Witherbark takes increased damage when he is in his drought phase so not really as great of a static encounter as you think but this can help for explaining purposes.  Aff is great for boss fights because you start out with all of your secondary resource.  That being said, two are used up on SB:H and the next two should not just be wasted.  They still need to be used primarily during trinket procs and/or increased boss damage like on Witherbark.  Misery is  great CD but at 2 min, it can be great to line it up even mid fight on dungeon bosses with trinkets instead of blowing it on the pull for ST like most people do without thinking (extra targets that can die mid fight means Misery early because obviously moar dots are up with more targets alive). If you weren't doing this before, start thinking about it now.

Ah thats good to know. I did 24.5k un 634 gear with my feral druid yesterday and was wondering how my warlock was ever going to come close. I did 18k on a couple other bosses as well. I did flask but not pot.

I am leveling my warlock as affliction, I missed it being viable. I also kind of miss demo feeling like its more about powerful demon pets vs the metamorph stuff.

Also I thought it was simmed out somewhere that DS is > SB Haunt until like ilvl 665

I've got an alt spec thats demo more focused on AOE for trash clearing but I don't really like it much.

Edited by Jaynen

Also I thought it was simmed out somewhere that DS is > SB Haunt until like ilvl 665

I was downloading simcraft to test it, but i don't know where to start, someone had already tested it?

why in simcraft the affli lock has DS for all ilevels? also at 695...