FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
tradebro

Set the record straight for shadow

Alright, I been searching the forums non-stop. Let me give you my sob story about how bad I am. I raided Heroic High Maul last night at 636 Ilvl. Long story short I was at the bottom of the charts at Butcher. Now logically I would just spam Blizz priest forums about how Spriest needs buffs and blah blah blah, but I was raiding with a Priest who had I think 2-3 levels higher of Ilvl. He was consistently putting out 16k dps and higher. Usually he was top 4 behind hunters. I also have hit 20k plus dps popping all my cds on Heroic dungeons. But the minute I try to do damage on a raiding dummy my dps is lucky to make it to 12k. I also watched Midwinter raid and their priest were hitting 16k plus in raids. So it obviously possible. But I already know what half of you are thinking, go to the howtopriest shadow section on the site. Look if I took the time to write this I obviously have checked as many guides and other areas of information as possible. I also have looked up top shadow priest from midwinter and other guilds and their stat priority are mastery first then the others in no particular order with versatility on the bottom.Which is not what the guide says.I have personally talked to a few shadow priest and they to prioritize shadow, which is super confusing when I read the guides stat priority. I looked at their gear and other than a few percent hear and there and the obvious difference in spell power usually cause of higher gear their aren't any drastic differences. None the less they could still put up way higher numbers than me. Here is my profile  http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/bleeding-hollow/Phosule/advanced. If it's needed I can later on, link a video of my rotation on dummies etc, I just want some one to help me. It's possible, I know it is. I'm following the correct rotation for dot weaving with CoP which is also what the other priest are following. So what's the difference between me and them? What is it that I have to improve on so I can be up there and not a burden to raids. Also what's going on with stat priorities, I just want the final say I guess, or someone to be like yo this is what's up! Thank you for any replies I greatly appreciate any help and yes I am very frustrated.

Hi, first time posting, been reading icyveins forums for quite awhile now though.  I'm not sure if I'm the most qualified to answer this, however, I am currently maining Spriest as of the start of WoD.  For my guild's run on tuesday on heroic highmaul, we were able to get kargath down but were not able to beat enrage timer for the butcher.  However, my numbers on both were #1 in the raid comp holding consistently at or above 20k.  What tier 7 talent are you using? because those talents can make or break your dps.  Also, are you dot weaving with CoP? Are you casting MB on cd? are you removing your devo plague ticks by casting a mind spike directly after casting devo plague? Hope this was of some help 

here are logs from the night. im currently trying to learn to log myself but I'm having some difficulty figuring out how to upload. any help would be much appreciated from anyone btw :D (I'm Irôny) these logs he still had some SoO in them, its just the normal kargath and butcher kills though.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/Nmg23d9tYF7hzRWr

Edited by Fisperne

Hey thanks for the reply but, I linked my profile and you can check my spec there. No I am running the usual rotation mind spike as filler till I have 5 shadow orbs from mind blast. Then vamp touch and shadow word pain the target follow by a devouring plague where I insanity twice as a filler and then do another Mind Blast into Devouring plague followed by a final 2 insanity. 

Carefully read the section about dot weaving, your normal rotation only continues until four orbs, then you mind spike once, SWP, VP, MB, DP, I, I, MB, DP, I, I, MB, repeat.  I assume you can understand the abbreviations.  This way you don't have mind blast off cooldown with 5 orbs.

I don't usually play shadow but I did last night on our 1m butcher wipes. I noticed a few things about shadow:

-No incredible DPS cooldowns, this prevents us from spiking like monsters at the start of a fight, like ret/hunt/feral/mage can, in turn causing our dmg to look very low in the early stages of a fight

-Unless you start with Orbs your dmg is going to be pretty shit at the beginning, 12-14k even if you prepot. At least at my ilvl(641 with incorrect enchants for shadow).

-We become the monsters at sub 20%.  This is where we catch up.  Spamming SWD MB DP and Insanity like crazy.  Always break insanity casts if MB or SWD is up.  You can maintain high uptime on DP, so only insanity if DP is up, and MB/SWD are on CD.

On our learning wipes before we were getting to enrage I was barely above the tanks, not even visible on my meters.  Once I got the rotation and feel of the fight down, I looked down after a wipe and I was top 3. Our last pull I was top DPS(probably because people died but still at around 20k.

As for dummies, they are worthless unless you find a sub 20% one.

Here's the log, its only a couple pulls. My autolog isn't working in heroic for some reason. https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/wYtvQZ6Lrbhg4X8x

Hope this helps.