FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
freshe

Paladin Tank - gearing (confused)

Hello,

I have been using the paladin tanking guide here on icy-veins. I know that my stat prio is  bonus armour, mastery and versatility. The first one I understand only applies to back, neck, rings and trinkets. So my question is this - for every other part of armour should I aim without exception for the mastery and versatility ? I'm bit confused because I have checked the best in slot list and there is a lot of gear with just one of the important stats where the second is either haste or crit or multistrike.

Yes. Having Mastery/Crit is definitely good as well, so for your plate pieces you're aiming for Mastery/Versatility, with Crit as the useful 3rd stat.

Note: An extremely important part of gearing is sockets. They are amazingly overpowered, so you'll find that some pieces are way better than others even at a lower ilvl just because of the socket.

Example: Say you have the neck thats 636 with a socket, Bonus Armor/Versatility. I think it's better than even the 670 necks you can get, unless you get one with a socket, or the one from Blackrock Foundry (BA/Mastery)

(I chose the BA/Vers neck, because the Mastery/BA one has really low BA on it)

Another thing to lookout for is the trinket (ilvl615): inv_misc_trinket6oih_lanternb2.jpgMunificent Soul of Compassion. It comes from the inv_misc_pvp_trinket.jpgMunificent Trinket (Protection Spec) you get from the follower mission: Industrial Espionage 

Right now it's pretty OP with all the changes to the trinkets blizzard made. Mine proc'd as Warforged and like Fouton said w/socket it and anything else would be amazingly overpowered.

EDIT: I would also like to mention you can get that follower mission more than once, so you can keep re-rolling it and test your fate and maybe get a better version.

Edited by Necrosniper

I did something like this with wowhead when I was trying to gear up. In this order.

(Neck/Finger/Back)

(Head/Shoulder/Chest/Waist/Legs/Wrist/Hands/Weapon/Shield)

It's also good to remember all crafted material can be Mastery/Versatility. That's my rule of thumb. It's definitely not an end-all-be-all formula.

Everything other than my pvp gear trys to follow this (My Pally: Necrolight)

Edited by Necrosniper

Thanks for all the feedback. I checked your main Fouton and see you only prioritise mastery over the versatility which can be then replaced by pretty much any other stat. I looked at my current gear and in fact I also have some gear with haste and crit. 

Yeah, Haste/Multistrike is complete garbage, but it's hard to get rid of sometimes.

For example I hate my pants, and could easily replace them with something from heroics that has mastery on it.

Short version: Blizzard hates us xD

Long version: The only way to get decent stats as a protection paladin right now is via blacksmithing. But it takes a lot of time and effort to upgrade all the items to 670. And when you get there, you'll propably end up in the next raid stage... hoping, that no tank plate will drop because it has bad stats on it once again.

Lets just hope, blizzard will let us upgrade our blacksmithing stuff even more or puts in some good new recepies.

btw: have you guys looked at our T17? Its a mess :-/