FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Kulia

Just checking I'm doing things right.

Hey all, I just got done wiping on Butcher normal a lot with a PuG and I logged it and I want to know how well I'm doing as a hunter, so I know if I need to improve and what areas I need to improve on.

Here is my armoury: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/amanthul/Amorsius/advanced(which I can finally link now because yaaay Blizzard fixed Oceanic armouries)

and the logs can be found here: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/z1qHMc3JDZCQBtfV/

Looking at the last attempt (4:58):

76.66% uptime on sniper training?  That's way too low, even if you're the person to balance the melee groups.  You don't need to move that much for the butcher for it to be that low.

Rapid Fire should be used on pull, just after crows.

26/31 Chimeara Shot uses, should be closer to 28-29 (some missed ones is expected, but not nearly 1 per min).

8/23 Glaive Toss uses, again a few missed ones can be accounted for, but this is too low, try to bring this up.

Sniper training uptime might be low because of the way the group was doing the fight - until the 30% mark everyone soaked the bounding cleave, then at 30% only the healers did, so I was in one of the melee groups but I wasn't the one balancing (yay for not getting the shit job as a hunter!). But that could've been better.

As for rapid fire, I tend to use that when he reaches 80% because of Careful Aim. But would it be better to use it on the pull for raid bosses because of how long it takes to get them down. (unless it's a lust at the start fight, then it'll probably delay rapid fire til after lust).

Yeah, Chimarea was probably a bit low probably need better focus management. As for the glaive toss I was only using that when Aimed Shot wouldn't be buffed by Thrill of the Hunt. OR when rapid fire is up I don't use glaive toss at all. Is this wrong? Should I be doing otherwise?

(as an off-note I only started logging about halfway through the attempts and that last log is when people called it)

Edited by Kulia

Yeah, Chimarea was probably a bit low probably need better focus management. As for the glaive toss I was only using that when Aimed Shot wouldn't be buffed by Thrill of the Hunt. OR when rapid fire is up I don't use glaive toss at all. Is this wrong? Should I be doing otherwise?

(as an off-note I only started logging about halfway through the attempts and that last log is when people called it)

GT should always be used before Aimed Shot outside of Careful Aim, even if the Aimed Shots benefit from ToTH. ToTH lasts long enough that you should be able to use them before it falls off.

GT should always be used before Aimed Shot outside of Careful Aim, even if the Aimed Shots benefit from ToTH. ToTH lasts long enough that you should be able to use them before it falls off.

Okay, is that the same rule for barrage as well?

Okay, is that the same rule for barrage as well?

These are the different ways you should prioritize your spells. Thrill changes nothing. Only careful aim does.

1 Target Careful Aim:

1. Aimed
  2. Barrage

1 Target <80%:

1. Barrage
  2. Aimed

2 Target Careful Aim:

1. Barrage
  2. Aimed

2 Target <80%:

1. Barrage
  2. Aimed

3 Target+ is exactly the same as 2 targets.

Okay, so I need to be using level 90 talent a lot more often then.

Since I'm prioritizing TotH aimed shots over it.

Edited by Kulia

Okay, so I need to be using level 90 (FTFY) talent a lot more often then.

Since I'm prioritizing TotH aimed shots over it.

Yeah Glaive is very very useful right now, super cheap, high damage. No reason not to use it. Aimed is really only a dump anyways, Thrill changes nothing about our rotation.

Sniper training uptime might be low because of the way the group was doing the fight - until the 30% mark everyone soaked the bounding cleave, then at 30% only the healers did, so I was in one of the melee groups but I wasn't the one balancing (yay for not getting the shit job as a hunter!). But that could've been better.

Sniper Training is not THAT important, until we get more mastery, it should be just a few % of DPS. But it's a good idea to learn proper movement now, monitor that buff using a Weak Aura or something. Butcher is basically a  stationary fight, if you get 75% uptime there, I'm afraid of what will happen on a heavy movement fight. 

As for rapid fire, I tend to use that when he reaches 80% because of Careful Aim. But would it be better to use it on the pull for raid bosses because of how long it takes to get them down. (unless it's a lust at the start fight, then it'll probably delay rapid fire til after lust).

It was simmed, and delaying Rapid Fire for that reason is a DPS loss. 

As for the glaive toss I was only using that when Aimed Shot wouldn't be buffed by Thrill of the Hunt. OR when rapid fire is up I don't use glaive toss at all. Is this wrong? Should I be doing otherwise?

For my gear, using Glaive Toss vs. not using GT at all is the difference of 200 DPS. I don't even bother with it. Using it only when you have one spare GCD or when TotH  is not up is probably a smarter way to deal with it. 

• Like 2

Looking at the last attempt (4:58):

76.66% uptime on sniper training?  That's way too low, even if you're the person to balance the melee groups.  You don't need to move that much for the butcher for it to be that low.

Rapid Fire should be used on pull, just after crows.

26/31 Chimeara Shot uses, should be closer to 28-29 (some missed ones is expected, but not nearly 1 per min).

8/23 Glaive Toss uses, again a few missed ones can be accounted for, but this is too low, try to bring this up.

As someone who has no idea how to analyse logs, where do you find stats like Sniper Training Uptime and 26/31 CS Uses ?

Edited by Bertoga

As someone who has no idea how to analyse logs, where do you find stats like Sniper Training Uptime and 26/31 CS Uses ?

In the log, click on the hunter's name, and then click on the Buffs tab.  It will show you Sniper Training uptime as a % of the fight.

To see casts, go to the Damage Done tab and look at the casts column.