FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Soulcraft

Prismatic Crystal position

So after one week of Highmaul in the books, I have a fairly good feel for the fights/mechanics/positioning, etc for a mage.  As far as utilizing PC to the best of my ability... not so much.  I first tried using it in some heroics, only to find my dps tank horrendously.  I didn't think my positioning was that bad, I was hitting it, but it seemed like nothing was transitioning to the boss.

What are some tips you guys have found when using it?  As in, what's the actual rotation?  I've seen videos where they place it down, then pop frozen orb (targeting the PC), then go to town with fingers of frost.

Do you guys have a macro made for targeting it?  That might have been my problem as I was trying to locate the thing in the mass of bodies and spell effects.  On that note, is it only worth casting it when you have frozen orb to really maximize the dps or do you cast it on cooldown and hope you get some lucky procs?

I only use PC when I have Orb off cd, means that you're gonna get a few more procs out of it. Also, use orb first, it has a travel time so you should be able to get PC down by the time orb reaches the target. When you drop PC, your target should auto-switch to the crystal. 

So after one week of Highmaul in the books, I have a fairly good feel for the fights/mechanics/positioning, etc for a mage.  As far as utilizing PC to the best of my ability... not so much.  I first tried using it in some heroics, only to find my dps tank horrendously.  I didn't think my positioning was that bad, I was hitting it, but it seemed like nothing was transitioning to the boss.

What are some tips you guys have found when using it?  As in, what's the actual rotation?  I've seen videos where they place it down, then pop frozen orb (targeting the PC), then go to town with fingers of frost.

Do you guys have a macro made for targeting it?  That might have been my problem as I was trying to locate the thing in the mass of bodies and spell effects.  On that note, is it only worth casting it when you have frozen orb to really maximize the dps or do you cast it on cooldown and hope you get some lucky procs?

Always use Frozen Orb, with PC. (Unless, ofc you need your FO burst on some adds immediately. or the fight is ending soon) It has been simcrafted. :P

Use FO first, then PC (as it is also written in our guides). Firstly, FO has a travel time as stated above. Secondly, wasting 1 FoF is a lower DPS loss, than wasting ~1-1,5 second to cast the frozen orb, which is not going to damage your crystal immediately. Place your PC to the boss's hit box as close as possible, so Glyph of Splitting Ice can do the cleave.

I do not use a macro for targetting it. here it is automaticly targetted after i place it, isnt that normal? 

It's normal, it is automatically targeted.

When I cast PC it auto-targets 

Try to cast it as close to the bosses hitbox as possible, I tend to throw it directly ontop of the boss and then cast FB onto it > Ice lance spam

After bursting (1min Orb CD, 1.5 on PC) I tend to use my orb off CD and then save Crystal for the orb after that, feel as if im losing out on DPS by holding onto my orb for 30seconds and PC is also reasonably situational as you can hold it for extra CDs or procs. Was experimenting between using both off CD and holding orb for PC on Imperator last night and I felt I pushed more DPS with waiting with PC for 3rd orb.

When I cast PC it auto-targets 

Try to cast it as close to the bosses hitbox as possible, I tend to throw it directly ontop of the boss and then cast FB onto it > Ice lance spam

After bursting (1min Orb CD, 1.5 on PC) I tend to use my orb off CD and then save Crystal for the orb after that, feel as if im losing out on DPS by holding onto my orb for 30seconds and PC is also reasonably situational as you can hold it for extra CDs or procs. Was experimenting between using both off CD and holding orb for PC on Imperator last night and I felt I pushed more DPS with waiting with PC for 3rd orb.

I feel like i lose dps if I throw orb on CD instead of holding it for PC. The double dip with PC/Orb is amazing. 

For those who run with Icy Nova, do you pool charges of it waiting for next PC/ORB spam or do you just them as they come up(single target)? I find myself using both on PC then using my first charge as soon as it comes up. When I do that i notice both charges coming back up a little bit before my next PC burst phase. My opener after pre MI stuff is to throw out Orb/PC then try and unload both IN before orb hits the PC.

I tend to just throw Novas as and when they are off CD unless I have PC coming back with Orb etc for full burst.

I feel like i lose dps if I throw orb on CD instead of holding it for PC. The double dip with PC/Orb is amazing. 

For those who run with Icy Nova, do you pool charges of it waiting for next PC/ORB spam or do you just them as they come up(single target)? I find myself using both on PC then using my first charge as soon as it comes up. When I do that i notice both charges coming back up a little bit before my next PC burst phase. My opener after pre MI stuff is to throw out Orb/PC then try and unload both IN before orb hits the PC.

I tend to just throw Novas as and when they are off CD unless I have PC coming back with Orb etc for full burst.

Yeah, same here. If you run the timing just right, you can double IN at the start w/ the first PC/FO, then use one on CD, one on the second PC/FO, and a second before that second crystal fades.

Do you / can you / should you cast Frost Bomb on your PC?  The rotation would be launch orb at target, immediately place PC near / on boss, frost bomb, then burn all FoF prcos, FFB procs, etc.

Do people do that or is it just ORB -> PC -> spam all procs and win with NO bomb?

Do you / can you / should you cast Frost Bomb on your PC?  The rotation would be launch orb at target, immediately place PC near / on boss, frost bomb, then burn all FoF prcos, FFB procs, etc.

Do people do that or is it just ORB -> PC -> spam all procs and win with NO bomb?

Bomb on boss -> FO -> PC (as it is written in the guides.)

This is prolly a very dumb question but when i place PC do i target the PC with all my spells or cleave it with FO and ice lance  (splitting ice), and ice nova. Or do i just pump all my FoF/BF and hard cast FB's into the auto targeted PC?

Again i feel like a moron for even asking this question but i hope im not the only one that was wondering this ><

This is prolly a very dumb question but when i place PC do i target the PC with all my spells or cleave it with FO and ice lance  (splitting ice), and ice nova. Or do i just pump all my FoF/BF and hard cast FB's into the auto targeted PC?

Again i feel like a moron for even asking this question but i hope im not the only one that was wondering this ><

You want all your attacks to hit the PC and the cleave aspects of the spells hit the boss. Unless you run with Frost bomb you want to bomb the boss, but let your splitting ice hit the boss while you target the bomb.

As far as saving PC for FO i disagree, unless you know you can't fit another PC in there somehow you can plan ahead to have 2x IN, 1x BF & FoF, maybe more if lucky. I've yet to test what's best timing when running incanter's flow to pop PC since you want both IN on PC with 5 stacks for 35% more active dmg.

As far as saving PC for FO i disagree, unless you know you can't fit another PC in there somehow you can plan ahead to have 2x IN, 1x BF & FoF, maybe more if lucky. I've yet to test what's best timing when running incanter's flow to pop PC since you want both IN on PC with 5 stacks for 35% more active dmg.

Simcrafts, and my (+other magi's) tests proved that delaying FO for PC is a DPS gain in almost any cases smile.png