FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Calantha

HP frustrations

hey guys,

I was wondering if more people are running in to this problem.

I tried to pug a group yesterday, normal HM. On the trash the tank pulled an insane number of trash, healers couldn't keep him up. To me that sounds logical but ok. I hate healing meters as an indication of how good a healer is (i use it to see if I'm doing my things right mostly) but ok, i did look yday and I was ok. Two of the healers got kicked one of them being me. Both healers did ok btw. 

I'm getting a bit insecure here because of this shizzle. I am a holy priest since tbc when I started playing wow. I love her dearly and I love my healing role dearly.

My thoughts are that people do not realise that this expac we do not have the possibility to have infinite mana stuffed on all our gear anymore. This means, and personally I'm quite happy with that cause it gives back the challenge, that we have to actually take care of mana management again. 

The same happens in heroics. Allthough heroics are not much of a problem anymore now that i'm gearing up. But still there are groups that feel that they can pull the entire instance and the healer will fix it :S.

About the healing meters. I say I don't like them. That's a bit harsh of course. I just don't use them as an indicator if someone is a good or a bad healer. Healing myself I just know that we do a lot more than just raw healing. But I do find it a good indicator to see if I'm doing my stuff right.

Anyways, any of you experiencing the same? 

Healing meters are fine when they have a context. Without context they don't tell anything.

For example, you can look at healing meter in a period tank got pounded and you kept him up (or at least tried to). Compare HPS to his DTPS see what you casted and in what order and think how you could do better.

On the other hand collective number for the whole fight tells very little, because fights have phases with lulz in between, this is just a snipe contest in which disc usually wins. As holy, during lulz I just switch to red and go dps. On red, smite is mana positive and it contributes real dps. It destroys my overall healing meter and any chance to rank, but keeps me busy doing meaningful things and makes the fight easier. I doubt this will be viable in mythic as it seems there won't be a lot of lulz phases, but so far it's working great.

Also, I'm not worried over mana so much right now, but more about the lack of really strong single target heals. I mean I can spam FH->FH->H with renew running and serenity on cd, but still sometimes it just barely does it. Maybe sometimes it's tank's fault, but still I never felt this way in MoP where my strongest single target heals were always enough to keep the tank up.

• Like 2

I try to avoid random groups, only doing CM/Highmaul with my guild. So much more enjoyable with guys you know and can talk to in Teamspeak.

Regarding your heal meters: You are right to a certain degree, nonetheless the linked article describes it far better than I could: http://wow.joystiq.com/2013/09/20/the-right-and-the-wrong-ways-to-use-healing-meters/

To put it short: Healing meters may vary from class to class depending on the encounter, extreme differences though indicate mistakes/wrong spell usages.

• Like 1

Currently I am not able to even try holy in raids, purely because my output is so much larger as disc it doesnt make sense. Its arguable that other healers in my raid underperforming are causing the lack of usefulness for holy. Disc seems the lot more solid build to 'carry' healing in a raid. With a pug group, you could be the best single healer in the universe, but your group can still fail to heal as a team. I've recently joined a new guild, they arnt experienced at all, and its causing issues getting everyone to know how to do their individual jobs, and understand each others play style.

Healing is hard enough in this expansion, dont make it harder on yourself trying to pug group content.

• Like 1

Healing meters are fine when they have a context. Without context they don't tell anything.

For example, you can look at healing meter in a period tank got pounded and you kept him up (or at least tried to). Compare HPS to his DTPS see what you casted and in what order and think how you could do better.

On the other hand collective number for the whole fight tells very little, because fights have phases with lulz in between, this is just a snipe contest in which disc usually wins. As holy, during lulz I just switch to red and go dps. On red, smite is mana positive and it contributes real dps. It destroys my overall healing meter and any chance to rank, but keeps me busy doing meaningful things and makes the fight easier. I doubt this will be viable in mythic as it seems there won't be a lot of lulz phases, but so far it's working great.

Also, I'm not worried over mana so much right now, but more about the lack of really strong single target heals. I mean I can spam FH->FH->H with renew running and serenity on cd, but still sometimes it just barely does it. Maybe sometimes it's tank's fault, but still I never felt this way in MoP where my strongest single target heals were always enough to keep the tank up.

Agree on what you say about the meters.

The single target heal is a pain indeed. I do the same. FH --> FH --> H. As if nothing comes out of my hands :S. FH --> FH --> PoH --> very strong. Strange. 

I also find Hymn quite useless lately. I find my power infusion much more effective then Hymn. Do you guys experience the same on that?

Currently I am not able to even try holy in raids, purely because my output is so much larger as disc it doesnt make sense. Its arguable that other healers in my raid underperforming are causing the lack of usefulness for holy. Disc seems the lot more solid build to 'carry' healing in a raid. With a pug group, you could be the best single healer in the universe, but your group can still fail to heal as a team. I've recently joined a new guild, they arnt experienced at all, and its causing issues getting everyone to know how to do their individual jobs, and understand each others play style.

Healing is hard enough in this expansion, dont make it harder on yourself trying to pug group content.

True. Unfortunately at the moment I'm guildless, well, in my own guild alone :P. So I have little choice but to pug. 

What frustrates me most is the fact that people don't look at this as a team job. It's not that I don't make mistakes. Ofc I do. I'm learning this expac too and things have just become a lot harder this expac. Somehow they don't see that. Raiding is teamwork. If it was not Blizz would have made solo instances wouldn't they? :D

I will os Disco. Never liked disco so much but certainly will try out. 

Thank you all for your input so far!

Either spec is viable at the moment but you will find that the LFR and casual "Heroes" wont understand the way heals will work in  this first tier because their short term memories only remember going into SoO overgeared for content with a few very broken classes.

Going into a raid group with 2 druids, a monk, a pally and a shaman of course the holy priest is going to look worse than a disc priest would on the meters because there are other topup/HoT classes to compete with. That being said, when the raid is taking hit after hit of people exploding the void zones on Imperator then disc wont save your ass one bit, its the tranq, tranq, hymm that will.

Once there is people with enough gear to carry and the first tier is over then it will imo return to the SoO way where people are so easily fed gear and will hit the next tiers pre geared and not in dungeon blues.

Proof is the "Normal is too hard qq" threads already up on the blizzard forums that were posted after 3 or so days of the content being out.

TL;DR

Both specs are viable but have very different roles in the healing team.

Wait for a few weeks til the casuals get some gear then pugging wont be so bad.

• Like 1

Either spec is viable at the moment but you will find that the LFR and casual "Heroes" wont understand the way heals will work in  this first tier because their short term memories only remember going into SoO overgeared for content with a few very broken classes.

Going into a raid group with 2 druids, a monk, a pally and a shaman of course the holy priest is going to look worse than a disc priest would on the meters because there are other topup/HoT classes to compete with. That being said, when the raid is taking hit after hit of people exploding the void zones on Imperator then disc wont save your ass one bit, its the tranq, tranq, hymm that will.

Once there is people with enough gear to carry and the first tier is over then it will imo return to the SoO way where people are so easily fed gear and will hit the next tiers pre geared and not in dungeon blues.

Proof is the "Normal is too hard qq" threads already up on the blizzard forums that were posted after 3 or so days of the content being out.

TL;DR

Both specs are viable but have very different roles in the healing team.

Wait for a few weeks til the casuals get some gear then pugging wont be so bad.

Short memory is always a pain indeed smile.png

I always have been holy and I always have loved it. I don't know it's the versatility that makes it so challenging for me. I enjoy it to the max. I guess it's just the change from before LFG/LFR to now. Before you were always with a steady group, now that's not always the case. I tihnk you are right and in a few weeks things will be much different. It's just a bit frustrating cause when you enjoy your role and toon so much and you get this bs....

And again, not saying that I'm not able to do something wrong. Oh I prolly will. I too am learning this new expac. People just should be a little more mature sometimes instead of the 'fuck this and fuck that' tongue.png

Edited by Calantha

Short memory is always a pain indeed smile.png

I always have been holy and I always have loved it. I don't know it's the versatility that makes it so challenging for me. I enjoy it to the max. I guess it's just the change from before LFG/LFR to now. Before you were always with a steady group, now that's not always the case. I tihnk you are right and in a few weeks things will be much different. It's just a bit frustrating cause when you enjoy your role and toon so much and you get this bs....

And again, not saying that I'm not able to do something wrong. Oh I prolly will. I too am learning this new expac. People just should be a little more mature sometimes instead of the 'fuck this and fuck that' tongue.png