FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Storm

Simcraft Frost dps after hotfix

Edited

New Result are posted on Simcraft, so I deleted all the math. Frost got buffed more than I was estimating and is now very competitive with unholy. Unholy is still the clear winner in a few fights because they can go into a full aoe roation with just 2 adds and see a dps gain, but Frost is definitely close enough to be viable at any level of raiding.

• Like 2

It's updated now, Looking at 635i frost 2h is way above, at 665i frost is behind by like 300dps, which is nothing considering how much easier frost is. Looking at 695, frost is way ahead again, i dont understand the curve.

Well guys, I guess it's save to say, that we can happily go back to Frost 2H (or DW, if that's your thing).

I'm really excited about the current sims, DK's seem to be doing fairly well this expac.laugh.png

Edited by ChaiNspliT

I will be. the new guild I'm with raids Sun, Mon, Tue. so I've been rather busy the last few evenings. my plans for tonight are to do a few tweaks to the unholy weak aura and then start on a frost weak aura, with the primary focus on the frost weak aura being maximizing our killing machine procs.

Then RBG's to conq cap for the week. I'm excited about going back to frost for PVP also. I prefer the burst of 2H frost over unholy.

1H frost could possibly be better than Unholy in AoE now, I'll need to get some 1h weapons again to test it out, but Unholy is definitely still better than 2H frost in aoe/cleave situations. The biggest reason is because unholy only needs 2 targets for blood boil to be a dps gain over scourge strike, and blood boil continues to keep your death runes as death runes, so you can spam a lot of blood boils.

For 2H frost you're going to need at least 3, and possibly closer to 4 targets before howling blast spamming is higher dps than just continuing your single target rotation. This means Frost may edge out unholy on Tectus, but Unholy will be way better for Twin Ogron, add cleave on Brackenspore, and add cleave on Margok.

That sounds about right, they'll be fairly close on most fights though honestly. The only one I could definitely see a big difference on is Twin's because unholy's blood boil spam is really strong with 2 targets the whole time.

For Unholy Blood boil is a DPS gain in any situation with 2 or more targets.

for 2H Frost blood boil is weaker than howling blast, but if you include spreading blood plague it's equal, or maybe just slightly higher. So in regard to Blood boil vs. howling blast for aoe, it's would only make sense to blood boil once to spread diseases, and then continue to use howling blast.

Blood boil is only a dps gain over howling blast to spread blood plague, after that go back to howling blast for aoe

But then there's obliterate single target vs. Howling blast AoE. across 10 tectus attempts last night, my average obliterate is 37k, and my average howling blast is 10k. Per rune that's 18.5k per rune for obliterate, and 10k for howling blast, which would make howling blast a small gain on 2 targets. However you then also have to figure for rime procs, so 45% of the time obliterate is going to give you a free howling blast. if we take 45% of my 10k average howling blast and add half that to the per rune dps of obliterate it would be 21k obliterate vs. 10k howling blast. So howling blast is a small dps loss on 2 targets, but a huge gain on 3 targets.

The Single target rotation is higher dps on 2 targets. Howling Blast spam is best for 3+ targets.

• Like 2

"The Single target rotation is higher dps on 2 targets. Howling Blast spam is best for 3+ targets."

That and the mobility for DW is great, if you're smart and have runes up you can be anywhere and just continue the HB onslaught.