FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Rinco

[Frost]Help with my DPS

Hey guys, just switched to mage for WoD since our guild wanted more ranged. Still learning the class, but was wondering if anyone could help me figure out why I'm pulling lower damage than the other mage in our run.

My armory:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/korgath/Rinco/advanced

His armory:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/korgath/Heanthor/advanced

We had similar item level in the run last night but he would consistently pull 2k-4k more damage than me:

Here are the logs:

Butcher:

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/2tk1bBcmX9GNQKWf#type=damage-done&fight=16

Tectus:

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/2tk1bBcmX9GNQKWf#type=damage-done&fight=27

Twin Ogron;

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/2tk1bBcmX9GNQKWf#type=damage-done&fight=34

Koragh:

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/2tk1bBcmX9GNQKWf#type=damage-done

My opener is:

Pre-pot and Mirror Images before pull

Frost Bomb the boss

Frozen Orb

Prismatic Crystal

Icy Veins

Spam procs into crystal

Use up remaining procs once crystal fades

Water Jet for 2 more FoF

------

I try to save FoF charges until I have 2, then Frost Bomb the boss and use them both. If one's about to expire, before I get a second, I just use it without Bomb

I don't use Orb off CD. I wait for Crystal to come off CD and use them together.

The one thing I noticed is that he is always using Nova and I always use Bomb. It seems that all of the top mages use Bomb, but Heanthor's Novas outdamage my Bomb. Maybe Bomb should only be used with better gear? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I don't know if that will explain the 3k dps difference, but your fellow mage has a very expensive enchantment on his weapon, and his gear is a bit more optimised, since he has less haste and more crit than yours.

I  will let the more experienced mage talk abour your DPS cycle smile.png

I might be wront but regarding your opener, it might be wiser to get two RoF proc through water jet first, then cast your PC, water bomb it, and then cast your ice lance/icyorbs and the rest of your procs on it. I don't get the point of frozing bomb the boss if you target the cristal afterwards.

Edited by tapif

Ah, I guess I'd missed the enchant. That could make a huge difference given how important Multistrike is.

I've read a few sites that suggest Frost Bombing the boss before placing Crystal. I believe the Ice Lances from the Glyph of Splitting Ice will trigger the Bomb so you can still get dps from it while shooting at the Crystal (as long as they're close enough.)

He is also not using mirror images, for some fights especially butcher I get much better numbers out of rune of power even as frost.  That tier I really like to change fight to fight, incanters flow can also be really strong if you sync your cooldowns and instants to the high end of the damage.

He is also not using mirror images, for some fights especially butcher I get much better numbers out of rune of power even as frost.  That tier I really like to change fight to fight, incanters flow can also be really strong if you sync your cooldowns and instants to the high end of the damage.

If you are referring to Heanthor he is using mirror images according to the logs, and i believe mirror images comes out on top for frost for single target dps as does ice nova, I am a little unsure about Ice Nova but the top ranking frost mages on butcher are using ice nova and not frozen orb.

If you take frost bomb you frost bomb the boss, not the crystal.

Getting 2 FoF procs from water jet before placing PC is a good idea.

dont just burn your 2 FoF procs all the time, when you shoot a FoF procs with ice lance you release all your icicles, that means that if you have 2 FoF proc's burn 1 and cast frost bolt until you get 5 more icicles above your head UNLESS you get another FoF proc, always burn 1 if you have 2 FoF procs.

From the time of looking at both of your armory Rinco has more multistrike than Heanthor, but that may have changed from the time of the original post, also Rinco has more Int than Heanthor, meaning Rinco has more of the 2 best stats for frost mages, so im inclined to believe its a player issue and not a stat issue, not sure how much the good enchant Heanthor is using distorts this figure.

If you are referring to Heanthor he is using mirror images according to the logs, and i believe mirror images comes out on top for frost for single target dps as does ice nova, I am a little unsure about Ice Nova but the top ranking frost mages on butcher are using ice nova and not frozen orb.

If you take frost bomb you frost bomb the boss, not the crystal.

Getting 2 FoF procs from water jet before placing PC is a good idea.

dont just burn your 2 FoF procs all the time, when you shoot a FoF procs with ice lance you release all your icicles, that means that if you have 2 FoF proc's burn 1 and cast frost bolt until you get 5 more icicles above your head UNLESS you get another FoF proc, always burn 1 if you have 2 FoF procs.

From the time of looking at both of your armory Rinco has more multistrike than Heanthor, but that may have changed from the time of the original post, also Rinco has more Int than Heanthor, meaning Rinco has more of the 2 best stats for frost mages, so im inclined to believe its a player issue and not a stat issue, not sure how much the good enchant Heanthor is using distorts this figure.

ah also I should note that the above info is based on single target such as butcher seeing as that is what the OP was linking in the logs.

• Like 1