FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Haulstrum

Picking up Adds as Prot Pally

Hey guys. I've been playing WoW only since MoP and started as ret. Moved to prot this expansion and having been running normal progression with my guild.

We have made it to koragh and though we only had 3 attempts before the end of the night I feel like my performance was rather underwhelming in the add phase. I haven't had any other tanking issues thus far and we have been running quite smoothly as a whole (1 new boss downed per night).

I would like to know if you guys have any tips on picking up adds in general as well as specific tips for that phase of this fight. If it helps to mention I am tanking with a prot warrior, would he be more suited to this role or should I be able to do it fine?

I find they tend to go all over the place, Try to spend the whole transition just consecrating near the center between the main area your ranged are and the center of the room, so that you catch them as they move in. Some melee will get aggro from cleave, so you'll have to put extra Avenger Shields into adds near the melee to try to rip aggro. You won't get them all, so once you feel you have the core cluster and are going to move them to a silence field, youll want to taunt the remainder that are on melee. You should also be getting help from hunters, and your other tank should be picking them up as well.

Since they don't melee hard, don't worry if a few are on melee. They should be helping kill them after Koragh is recharged, so theyll be nearby the field for you to cleave aggro again. It can be tough, but overall you should be able to get them all off the melee once you focus them. If you're still having trouble, it's likely because you've got DPS on the adds which they should not be DPSing when Koragh loses his shield.

Thanks man. The guilds having a bit of a break over Christmas and new years but I will be pugging with my other tank and ill give it a go. Thanks for the advice on standing between ranged. I found myself panicking trying to run around picking them up one by one and it wad going horribly :S Thanks for taking the time to reply :)

• Like 1

So another prot question for this encounter.... Any specific suppression field to jump into?  Also what about defensive cooldowns?  Should i be moving out slightly to pop a CD and then moving back in or just stay in?

I recommend having someone put a marker on the most recent suppression field as they spawn so that you know which one wont despawn on you. It's best to encourage your range to get them to spawn near the middle (without covering all of the middle) so that you can just stand on the outside edge of it and have them all walk into it when moving to you. You don't want to stand in it, because as you get higher up in raid difficulty the field starts ticking for 50k+.