FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Gazooten

Necroblight

If you are running with a consistent group, boss movement is quite predictable and it is easy to get full value out of defile. It maybe difficult with pugs.

Is the intention to let Necro fall off right about when UB comes off cooldown so you can use more death runes on scourge strike (and then reapply with UB again)? Or is it better to just keep Necro going the whole time?

Is the intention to let Necro fall off right about when UB comes off cooldown so you can use more death runes on scourge strike (and then reapply with UB again)? Or is it better to just keep Necro going the whole time?

I plan to do a guide to really flesh out everything, just super busy with work atm.

In general it depends where in the fight are you. My general guidelines

Boss Health > 45% = keep up 100% of time and not use UB

Boss Health <45%  = let fall off and refresh with UB. the reason is that soul reaper is more powerful and has such a short cooldown now you want to prioritize that above all else and you get 2 soul reapers for your 1 festering strike. Since UB restores your stacks you lose maybe 0.5% uptime doing this. Again though this is when all your runes are transformed to death, with blood and frost you want to use festering. 

• Like 1

Even though PL and Defile is simming higher, i am actually getting more DPS (and enjoyment!) out of UB and NP. I always find theres one, maybe two defiles that i dont get 100% damage potential out of in a fight. NP is a nice failsafe.

I thought NP sucked shit for basically everything. So this spec you're talking about is for the ptr/6.1 right? not a serious spec for right now?

NP + UB is still viable on live currently for 2+ target situations and is competitive with Defile if you are having issues maximizing defile ticks. The 6.1 buff makes NP viable for ST situations as well.

NP + UB is still viable on live currently for 2+ target situations and is competitive with Defile if you are having issues maximizing defile ticks. The 6.1 buff makes NP viable for ST situations as well.

CAn you link the post explaining how exactly this works, like priority system and such?

CAn you link the post explaining how exactly this works, like priority system and such?

Read the start of this thread and you should be good. It's pretty straight forward, however there is no "guide" for it...yet :)

Ty for this topic.

I had some trouble understanding why PL+ Defile was graded "the to go spec" on almost all the sites - i was pvp and went pve this expansion (so i thought i was doing something wrong).

Even in single target fights UB + Necro pull ahead, and yes i can confirm under 45% hp on boss letting necro drop then UB + Soul Reapers will do the trick - 2/4k dps increase. (at butcher HC i was doing 29k without leting UB drop now is 32k+ with drop)

The catch is to never let necro drop off unless you have UB off cd - so yes this is a rune tetris spec but is way more fun than  PL+ Defile or Frost 2H (on those you can throw your keyboard down the stairs and still do 20k dps xD).

Also mastery is the safe way to go since you have only 1 dot up (prolly multistrike can also cut it but i have no ideea where the break point is since all the simulations are made for 2 dots up PL+ Defile).

Might be play style, but to be honest i dont see the fight where the boss will stay still in defile every 30 secs for 6 mins or more - theory is one thing the real world is another.

Ty again for this topic :) now i know im not the only freak out there.. (this spec is played by 0.1% of dks)

P.S. This is my dk

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/scarshield-legion/Inddigo/simple

I can record some logs  next time or you can just check out guild logs.

Ty for this topic.

I had some trouble understanding why PL+ Defile was graded "the to go spec" on almost all the sites - i was pvp and went pve this expansion (so i thought i was doing something wrong).

Even in single target fights UB + Necro pull ahead, and yes i can confirm under 45% hp on boss letting necro drop then UB + Soul Reapers will do the trick - 2/4k dps increase. (at butcher HC i was doing 29k without leting UB drop now is 32k+ with drop)

The catch is to never let necro drop off unless you have UB off cd - so yes this is a rune tetris spec but is way more fun than  PL+ Defile or Frost 2H (on those you can throw your keyboard down the stairs and still do 20k dps xD).

Also mastery is the safe way to go since you have only 1 dot up (prolly multistrike can also cut it but i have no ideea where the break point is since all the simulations are made for 2 dots up PL+ Defile).

Might be play style, but to be honest i dont see the fight where the boss will stay still in defile every 30 secs for 6 mins or more - theory is one thing the real world is another.

Ty again for this topic smile.png now i know im not the only freak out there.. (this spec is played by 0.1% of dks)

P.S. This is my dk

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/scarshield-legion/Inddigo/simple

I can record some logs  next time or you can just check out guild logs.

Glad you like it :D One thing for ya though friend. Your stat priority is still multistrike followed by mastery. The reason we still like multistrike is its interaction with dots. Each tick your multistrike gives your dot that percentage chance to tick again for free. So, lets say you have 50% multistrike. Necrotic Ticks 30 times per minute, in a perfect world with 50% multistrike you would the end up with 45 ticks per minute. Or if somehow we get to 100% multistrike you would get 60 ticks per minute. Of course the more bonus ticks the better :D

Glad you like it biggrin.png One thing for ya though friend. Your stat priority is still multistrike followed by mastery. The reason we still like multistrike is its interaction with dots. Each tick your multistrike gives your dot that percentage chance to tick again for free. So, lets say you have 50% multistrike. Necrotic Ticks 30 times per minute, in a perfect world with 50% multistrike you would the end up with 45 ticks per minute. Or if somehow we get to 100% multistrike you would get 60 ticks per minute. Of course the more bonus ticks the better biggrin.png

Update: Seems I was wrong. Multistrike actually grants 2 chances for your dots to tick again. So our numbers can get crazy here. So at 100% multistrike we could possible get 90 ticks of necrotic in one minute. 

So the stat prio is? My sim say's 3.2multi -> 2.7haste -> 2.6mastery. And it feels pretty wrong

its close

Multistrike>Mastery>Haste>Crit>other stuff  for unholy necroblight dks

You still want to prioritize mastery over haste because of your scourge strike damage and your soul reaper damage. However, haste is a close follow up in importance because it impacts rune regeneration rate. 

• Like 1

(on those you can throw your keyboard down the stairs and still do 20k dps xD).

Pretty funny stuff right there.

I have a question though being serious.  First let me say that I play DK mostly as an alt, but my guild needs more melee dps so Im switching, and i really wanted to play UH this xpac since I've strictly played frost/blood since i made the toon.  So I may be asking a very noob UH fundamental question.

First, does NP drop off at 15 stack no matter what you do like it says in tool tip, or will plaguebearer extend it because it specifically says it extends diseases. 

Secondly, does UB add stacks or just apply the buff.  Nowhere in the description does it say applies every second, or two seconds or whatever.  It just says "infects". 

The reason I'm asking is I'm trying to figure out the stacks/spreading/falling off/reapplying mechanics.

Again sorry if these are fundamental UH questions, I've just never played UH before.

I will definitely be looking for a more in depth write up demonardvark, especially with recent buffs/debuffs.

Pretty funny stuff right there.

I have a question though being serious.  First let me say that I play DK mostly as an alt, but my guild needs more melee dps so Im switching, and i really wanted to play UH this xpac since I've strictly played frost/blood since i made the toon.  So I may be asking a very noob UH fundamental question.

First, does NP drop off at 15 stack no matter what you do like it says in tool tip, or will plaguebearer extend it because it specifically says it extends diseases. 

Secondly, does UB add stacks or just apply the buff.  Nowhere in the description does it say applies every second, or two seconds or whatever.  It just says "infects". 

The reason I'm asking is I'm trying to figure out the stacks/spreading/falling off/reapplying mechanics.

Again sorry if these are fundamental UH questions, I've just never played UH before.

I will definitely be looking for a more in depth write up demonardvark, especially with recent buffs/debuffs.

1. Festering Strike extends the duration, but Plaguebearer will only add one stack as opposed to refresh duration (correct me if I'm wrong someone).

2. UB will add stacks at a frightening pace.

UH is the only spec that can extend NP beyond it's normal duration (which also means Blood can't refresh duration, which is one of the reasons why we tend to stick to PL-Defile). The idea of necroblight is to apply NP with UB, then work in enough Festering Strikes to extend the duration of NP until UB is up again, at which point it's not a huge loss if you drop NP (or in other words, at which point you can lash out more Scourge Strikes with your death runes instead of the odd Fester to keep that duration up). Normally you want to only use Blood and Frost runes for Fester, but it's very important to not drop NP before UB is up again, so sometimes a couple death runes gets used for Fester. This is a DPS loss as Scourge Strike is stronger, and costs less. However, once UB is up you can do the normal "spam SS until Blood and Frost runes, then use Fester".

Welcome to the DK party :)

The thing with multistrike is that in PvE, character spells and abilities have two chances to deal an additional 30% damage. Each hit can offer up to 100% + 30% + 30% = 160% total damage.

So on maximum stacks necro will still be anywhere between 100% (0% multistrike) 130% (50% multistrike) 160% (100% multistrike). All simulations except ask mr robot give multistrike on top of mastery, mr robot on the other hand gives mastery on top of multistrike (in all simulations the difference is marginal).That's why I said that I still don't know where the break point is (by breakpoint I mean the % value where 1 stat becomes significant more valuable than the other).

Cheers and keep up the good work

At a glance, DnD does not deal the same amount of damage as a SS to a single target. You'll probably want to use DnD on 2+ targets.

I have a question about UB and FS. Let's say that UB is on CD and you have death runes instead of blood/frost pairs. Do you use the death runes on FS or on SS?

Also, what are your thoughts on Plaguebearer + NP? It is definitely a slower way of stacking NP, but does it compensate with the consistency and the freedom to always use your death runes on SS instead of FS?

At a glance, DnD does not deal the same amount of damage as a SS to a single target. You'll probably want to use DnD on 2+ targets.

I have a question about UB and FS. Let's say that UB is on CD and you have death runes instead of blood/frost pairs. Do you use the death runes on FS or on SS?

Also, what are your thoughts on Plaguebearer + NP? It is definitely a slower way of stacking NP, but does it compensate with the consistency and the freedom to always use your death runes on SS instead of FS?

Part one of your question, it depends on the duration left of necrotic. If you are down to a MAXMIMUM minimum of 15 secs left you would refresh with FS. If you have 25+ seconds go ahead and just use SS. The goal is to keep your remaining uptime of necrotic > to the CD of UB. You can rapidly build up by running through you runes twice then popping empower runic to refresh and run again.

Plaugebearer is way to slow and you can't maintain your uptime on your stacks. Understand the terminology people use isn't quite right. Festering DOES NOT refresh necrotic it adds 8 seconds to your remaining time. There comes a point where if you fall below 15 seconds left on necrotic it isn't worth extending because you will run out of time. At this point you just run out the SS and rest of your rotation and pop unholy to get a higher duration fresh stack.

I'm really glad this is picking up. I much prefer this playstlye than the generic dk one.

I know you've mentioned this before and put it in your guide but from my own experience and testing it's a dps increase to let NP drop off instead of extending using death runes and go back to only extending it with frost and blood runes. Once it drops you can insta get it back up with UB and you've used them 2 death runes(per extension) you would have spent on extending on additional SS :)

Edited by Lewie4

Also, the Nether Ray heroism effect was renamed in 6.1 from Ancient Hysteria to "Netherwinds" (I don't have the ID). Others may have changed as well These will need to be added to anyone's auras for them to affect the rotation priority. It's an uncommon situation, but if you have a Marksman / Survival Hunter in the group and no mage or shaman, that's the only pet they can provide heroism with.