FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Kulia

Is it worth it?

I just simmed myself with Lone Wolf and Focusing Shot and there's a 238 dps difference(leaning towards Focusing Shot). I'm thinking that amount of DPS is negligible in terms of me switching. Would it be worth it to stay Lone Wolf? I just feel like I'd make up for the DPS loss with Lone Wolf on the higher movement fights anyway. (since Focusing Shot doesn't let you cast whilst moving).

What do you guys think? Is it worth it to switch?

Edited by Kulia

Whatever DPS advantage you might have gained by flawless use of Focusing Shot, will be instantly nullified if during the fight you will at least once cancel it due to need to move. 

Focusing Shot changes the rotation considerably, especially considering it pairs well with another rarely used talent - Steady Focus, so it's hard to use flawlessly. To get that flawless execution, you need to be used to it. 

But playing all the time with Focusing Shot + Steady Focus is not feasible, because highmaul encounters are mostly rich on movement.

If you spec Focusing Shot + Steady Focus for specific low-movement fights (non-mythic Kargath and Butcher, Brackenspore), you simply won't be comfortable with them enough to actually get that DPS advantage. 

I still suggest you try it out, experience is important. It's not like life and death depend on it anyway.

Edited by Iridar

Focusing shot + Steady focus are a nightmare for me rotation-wise. Maybe it's because I've been so used to LW/Thrill for so long, but even just standing there attacking a dummy, the rotation feels VERY clunky. There's very often a sort of "dead zone" of focus, around 50-60 -- where using a FS will focus cap me (considerably, thanks to SF) but using AS will starve me to the point that I don't have enough for CS when it comes off cooldown. Throw barrage into this mess and you can forget it. I'm either focus starved or focus capped with nearly no in-between. 

Focusing shot + Steady focus are a nightmare for me rotation-wise. Maybe it's because I've been so used to LW/Thrill for so long, but even just standing there attacking a dummy, the rotation feels VERY clunky. There's very often a sort of "dead zone" of focus, around 50-60 -- where using a FS will focus cap me (considerably, thanks to SF) but using AS will starve me to the point that I don't have enough for CS when it comes off cooldown. Throw barrage into this mess and you can forget it. I'm either focus starved or focus capped with nearly no in-between.

For MM, TotH/LW sims higher than SF/FS. For SV the opposite is true.

For MM, TotH/LW sims higher than SF/FS. For SV the opposite is true.

For SV, SF+FS doesn't play all that horrible. Arcane Shots dump focus pretty fast compared to AiS, while Explosive Shot has very low focus cost, so it's hard to mess up and end up without enough focus to cast it on cooldown.

There are some tight places in rotation, where you can end up at ~50 focus, and Black Arrow getting off cooldown in 1 GCD. In this situation, you either overcap using FS and delay BA, or delay BA by casting AS.

Just spent a few minutes hitting a target dummy with FS+SF and I can say that I don't really like it at all. The playstyle feels so weird and it just puts everything I know about focus-management aside. 50 focus is a LOT of focus for one thing to restore and I find it really clunky to use, let alone adding SF in there. I'm personally gonna stick with LW+TotH