FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Grautods

Analysis of Riptide and Chain Heal HPM and HPS from Emporer Logs

Hi Everyone,

This is just a FYI post if you are looking for information on healing spell HPM and HPS in raids base on my personal experience.. others may find different

I haven't done much healing in Highmaul as we seem to have an abundance of heals this expac but I got a change to spend a night healing on Normal Emperor.   I speced into High Tide, Glphy of Chaining  and Glyph of Riptide to see if it was viable to raid heal using Chain heal in a 12 man normal team.

These are the numbers I got from the actual logs:

HPS         HPM    Over Heal

RipTide                          15,913    8.594       19%

Healing Surge                44,823    8.524         4%

Healing Stream Totem   19,378    54.657     14%

Healing Rain                   56,220   13.665      24%

Chain Heal                     41,262     9.717       23%

Healing Wave                24,669     15.716      8%

Earth Shield                   31,983     9.995        4%

Unleash Life                     8,641    5.004         6%

NOTE:  Chain heal hit 5.1 Targets on average 

In summary it shows that for me, Riptide + Chain heal even with Glyph of chaining and High Tide is not really viable given it tendency to over heal and not given it doesnt always hit 6 targets.

Edited by Grautods
  • Like 1

Hi Everyone,

This is just a FYI post if you are looking for information on healing spell HPM and HPS in raids base on my personal experience.. others may find different

I haven't done much healing in Highmaul as we seem to have an abundance of heals this expac but I got a change to spend a night healing on Normal Emperor.   I speced into High Tide, Glphy of Chaining  and Glyph of Riptide to see if it was viable to raid heal using Chain heal in a 12 man normal team.

These are the numbers I got from the actual logs:

HPS         HPM    Over Heal

RipTide                          15,913    8.594       19%

Healing Surge                44,823    8.524         4%

Healing Stream Totem   19,378    54.657     14%

Healing Rain                   56,220   13.665      24%

Chain Heal                     41,262     9.717       23%

Healing Wave                24,669     15.716      8%

Earth Shield                   31,983     9.995        4%

Unleash Life                     8,641    5.004         6%

NOTE:  Chain heal hit 5.1 Targets on average 

In summary it shows that for me, Riptide + Chain heal even with Glyph of chaining and High Tide is not really viable given it tendency to over heal and not given it doesnt always hit 6 targets.

Wouldnt mind looking at the logs thats based off, thats really low overhealing generally though

Can's say anything about the numbers without the actual logs, because your overheal depends a lot (except of your healing style) on amount of healers in your raid, healers setup and damage that raid takes.

How many attempts, who was tanking, unnecessary damage that was healed through, ilvl of the raid.... There are millions of parameters that have to be taken on account.

Just number without the logs show nothing, sorry. 

• Like 1

Can's say anything about the numbers without the actual logs, because your overheal depends a lot (except of your healing style) on amount of healers in your raid, healers setup and damage that raid takes.

How many attempts, who was tanking, unnecessary damage that was healed through, ilvl of the raid.... There are millions of parameters that have to be taken on account.

Just number without the logs show nothing, sorry. 

I agree with Pandacho.

iLvL will change those numbers, which may even increase the overheal %.

As far as overheal numbers, those are actually fairly normal to lower, so it doesn't throw out that playstyle.

And this is just your experience, so you can't really comment on what's a viable playstyle for resto shamans in general.

What's more, this is just a table of some info from logs. 

How were these obtained?

only one fight?

Are they only logs of your character?

Is it all from the same boss?

More information is needed to make your claim smile.png

Why don't you read up on some of the info that's been posted in another thread: https://www.icy-veins.com/forums/topic/8008-resto-healing-in-wod/

It could provide some insights as to why you got the numbers that you did and maybe some other methods to think about. also, if you look at the t17 bonuses, you can't rule out a chain heal playstyle.

Edited by Regal

Wow.... Feel  the love from trying to share something

All I was looking to do was share some practical results from one boss ... I made no claims.

All I could find on WoD HPS and HPM for shaman was opinion and theory craft which did not consider overheals or the reality of how many chain heal would actually hit.

Didn't I say "For me" "other may find it different"  in my comment?. At no time did I try do define how others should play I will let you experts do that!

Yes iLevel will change things, so will secondary stat mix, so will healer composition, and especially raid composition.. how many RDPS grouped up for example will have a huge impact.  As Pandacho said "There are a million parameters that will change things"   HOWEVER if you take that viewpoint to the extreme why share anything with anyone because it will be meaningless to you!

This raid was 12 man Emperor and I was raid healing (stated in original post).. it was 15 attempts ending at about 6:30 each time.

The logs were obtained through combatlog.txt uploaded and put on warcraftlogs.com

They were recorded on the shaman

Yes there was plenty of avoidable damage taken by the raid..Not sure how that impacts HPS or HPM

T17 Bonus..seeing it not in game yet I don't think it had any impact in the recorded fight!

Edited by Grautods

Hello, Grautods

First of all, let me assure you that nobody in this thread or on this forum in general do not mean to dismiss your opinion, to question your playstyle or your ability to draw conclusions.

I think though that there was some sort of misunderstanding due to difference of your post from IV forums 'standard' (if I can define it in this way).

Our standard is to attach the source of numbers, math, theorycrafting or conclusions to which you came, to your post. In this case you can create a healthy discussion based on facts that everyone can check. In WoW these facts base are combat logs.

Without linked logs nobody can agree or disagree with you or use your conclusions because it can't be checked.

I hope that now it's clearer smile.png

I'll give an example of what I mean.

For example, I say: "I tried High Tide and Cloudburst Totem and came to conclusion that High Tide is better on Imperator Mar'gok".

Here are my logs:

Imperator kill (14N 3-healed, CBT):

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/HDXtmLxby9cFYM4f#type=healing&source=25

Imperator kill (19N 4-healed, HT):

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/4pxJg8PDaqKCYNTr#fight=4&type=healing&source=5

You can see on 14N kill that overheal of my CBT was very high (21.3%) and total healing from Chain Heal +CBT was 3.43M, while on 19N kill CH overhealing was lower (18.2% vs 19.6% on 14N kill) but made 4.5M of healing which is 1M more than CH+CBT together on 14N kill.

Here some other people could come and point that my CBT usage was't perfect not in timings, nor in amount of casts and show their logs to prove that CBT usage on Imperator could be better because from checking the logs you could see that I casted CBT only 16 times in 10 min fight.

Somebody could point that 14-man raid just took less damage and link another bunch of logs to compare.

This is the way how discussion works in our section smile.png

Hope, it helps.

See you on forums,

Panda 

• Like 1

OP doesn't really provide much data, and less 'analysis' (also, 'viable' is rapidly becoming my least favorite word.)

Assuming chain heal is hitting five targets, un-talenting high tide will reduce its healing done by roughly 30%.  Obviously that percentage increases if you're averaging more than five.  In my experience cloudburst has not generally been able to make up that difference.

The arguments for taking CBT would be that chain heal is either hitting < four targets or is doing a large amount of overhealing, neither of which is true in your limited sample.  If you're having trouble with mana it might also help with that, I suppose.

Thanks Pandacho

I see my mistake was in adding the last line In summary it shows that for me, Riptide + Chain heal even with Glyph of chaining and High Tide is not really viable given it tendency to over heal and not given it doesnt always hit 6 targets

I wasn't trying to start a discussion on play style, get feedback on my logs (I did spend lots of time looking over them and working out what I need to improve)

All I wanted to do was share the HPS and HPM data since there isn't any actual data on HPS or HPM the forums.  I didn't want to offer an in-depth discussion on talent choices, play styles or analysis of my logs.

As to the our standard is to post data, I would agree it is ideally what would happen if people wanted to make suggestions on play style optimal builds etc.  

Thanks Pandacho

I see my mistake was in adding the last line In summary it shows that for me, Riptide + Chain heal even with Glyph of chaining and High Tide is not really viable given it tendency to over heal and not given it doesnt always hit 6 targets

I wasn't trying to start a discussion on play style, get feedback on my logs (I did spend lots of time looking over them and working out what I need to improve)

All I wanted to do was share the HPS and HPM data since there isn't any actual data on HPS or HPM the forums.  I didn't want to offer an in-depth discussion on talent choices, play styles or analysis of my logs.

As to the our standard is to post data, I would agree it is ideally what would happen if people wanted to make suggestions on play style optimal builds etc.  

Ah, thanks for posting that. Clears things up.

And I'm sorry if I sounded harsher than I meant to. Re-reading what I typed earlier, I could've definitely re-worded some things.

I was under the impression, because the title says 'analysis', that you were trying to contribute to the theorycrafting aspect and the goal of your post was to start a discussion, not just contributing a log.

You're absolutely right, there aren't many logs on here, but that's because there is a lot of public data. Are you looking for some of that? Or just wanted to contribute?

Hello, Grautods

First of all, let me assure you that nobody in this thread or on this forum in general do not mean to dismiss your opinion, to question your playstyle or your ability to draw conclusions.

I think though that there was some sort of misunderstanding due to difference of your post from IV forums 'standard' (if I can define it in this way).

Our standard is to attach the source of numbers, math, theorycrafting or conclusions to which you came, to your post. In this case you can create a healthy discussion based on facts that everyone can check. In WoW these facts base are combat logs.

Without linked logs nobody can agree or disagree with you or use your conclusions because it can't be checked.

I hope that now it's clearer smile.png

I'll give an example of what I mean.

For example, I say: "I tried High Tide and Cloudburst Totem and came to conclusion that High Tide is better on Imperator Mar'gok".

Here are my logs:

Imperator kill (14N 3-healed, CBT):

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/HDXtmLxby9cFYM4f#type=healing&source=25

Imperator kill (19N 4-healed, HT):

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/4pxJg8PDaqKCYNTr#fight=4&type=healing&source=5

You can see on 14N kill that overheal of my CBT was very high (21.3%) and total healing from Chain Heal +CBT was 3.43M, while on 19N kill CH overhealing was lower (18.2% vs 19.6% on 14N kill) but made 4.5M of healing which is 1M more than CH+CBT together on 14N kill.

Here some other people could come and point that my CBT usage was't perfect not in timings, nor in amount of casts and show their logs to prove that CBT usage on Imperator could be better because from checking the logs you could see that I casted CBT only 16 times in 10 min fight.

Somebody could point that 14-man raid just took less damage and link another bunch of logs to compare.

This is the way how discussion works in our section smile.png

Hope, it helps.

See you on forums,

Panda 

Thank you smile.png

Excellent format. You should draft a template to be pinned for contributing to theorycraft!

and then win an award.

Edited by Regal