FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Shananigans

Just a little log help please

My Armory (Shananigans): http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/anetheron/Shananigans/advanced 

Other Rogue Armory(wonderful): http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/magtheridon/Wonderful/advanced

Kargath:https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/Xg3VC2Bz7H1njZh4#fight=2&type=summary

Tectus: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/Xg3VC2Bz7H1njZh4#fight=12&type=summary

Ko'ragh: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/Xg3VC2Bz7H1njZh4#fight=19&type=summary

Imp: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/Xg3VC2Bz7H1njZh4#fight=25&type=summary

So despite mt better ilvl and SnD up times, I can't quite figure out why I'm being out dps'd on a majority of the fights in Heroic Highmaul by my fellow rogue, I'm still pretty bad at reading logs myself so I thought I would ask for some advice here, thanks so much! 

Happy New Year!

Shananigans!

Edited by Shananigans

Only have time to look at one of the logs atm, but I'll outline a few reasons you might be seeing a difference just from the Tectus fight

1) He has 2 slow weapons, you have slow / fast. It's not a huge deal, but with Mastery hits being based off your OH damage, you'll see more benefits with a higher damage weapon in your OH. His MG procs did 723k, while yours did only 473k.

• Note that the important bit here is Weapon Damage, not the Weapon DPS
  • It's even more pronounced on fights where there's lots of AoE, because Blade Flurry reduces energy regen and so moves a larger percentage of damage to your white swings, which includes your MG procs
  • In keeping with the above point, there was some talk in the Rogue theorycrafting community of weapon swap macros, because it's good to be able to swap from 2 slow weapons (slow / slow) and go to fast / slow any time you're able to hit more than 2 targets (more MH hits from the dagger means more MG procs which hit with your OH)

2) He has more skills cast than you, which leads me to believe he has more uptime on the boss. If he's hitting the boss more than you, he'll do more damage

• You missed a lot of SS casts during Lust - he has 6 more
  • You used KS late - try and avoid using it after AR, cause you can get a lot of good cdr for it with the faster casts during AR
  • That led to him getting a whole other KS off than you did, because he used KS first

3) You were late on some of your KS casts, which helped with him getting the bonus cast when you didn't

None of these are super huge issues, but together they add up and make up the difference. I can look at the other logs later, but I believe that they'll offer pretty much the same basic info

So other than making sure to use KS as soon as it comes off CD, and the AR before KS, what I'm understanding is that on fights with lots of Blade Flurry, I would be better off switching my MH and OF weapons?

Only on the parts where you actually use blade flurry. Like I would have a weapon swap macro attached to blade flurry

That or just get yourself another heroic weapon tongue.png

Just to clarify, since your post confused me for a minute, always try and use KS before.AR

Thanks! I've been trying to get another heroic weapon for a while but just don't have the rolls haha, I'll definitely set up a Blade flurry weapon swap macro though, hopefully that'll increase my tectus damage. Sorry about the confusing nature of my posts    >.<

I feel like I'm hijacking this thread so sorry in advance just reading your reply made me rethink how i've been playing! Been max dps in most of heroics which isn't really brag worth i guess.

Is running double slow weapons better? I thought fast/slow was the way to go.

And if you use KS during AR won't you energy cap?

That's why you KS before AR - avoids the energy cap and allows you to pump out more finishers to get more cdr on KS.

Yes double slow is better - fast / slow was better during Beta, but they fixed it before Live hit. You're probably doing decently with it in heroics cause there's a lot of stuff to cleave, but slow / slow is better single target

Is there any way to get a dagger in the MH as combat on Shadowcraft to see BF/cleave numbers?  I only see slow weapons on the list.  I don't have a heroic Boot Knife to log out with.  I just want to see how much difference fast/slow is on fights with adds.

So I've been looking around trying to find some sort of macro that will switch my weapons to a fast MH and a slow OH when I turn Blade Flurry on and then back to my normal set up when I turn it off, but I've been having trouble finding one that does that, could anyone offer any pointers on either how to make the macro or where I could find one?

Alright so I'll explain in a decent bit of detail how this kind of macro works, then I'll give you the one I use and why I use it afterwards. That way if you don't like mine, you can make your own.

Ok so to equip an item in a certain slot, you have the command

/equipslot #

Where # is the InventorySlotID. For example, MH is 16 and OH is 17, but this works for every equipment slot. This command has a lot of different ways you can change it up to suit what you need.

/equipslot 16 The Bladefist

This equips The Bladefist in your MH. If you have more than one, it will take the first one in your bags, regardless of ilevel. You can call a specific bag slot if you like. 

Bags are numbered 0-4, with your Backpack being 0 and the leftmost bag being 4. Slots in the bag are read from top to bottom, left to right. So for a 10 slot bag, you're looking at

X X 1 2

3 4 5 6

7 8 9 10

/equipslot 16 0 1

Calls a specific bag slot, by bag number then slot number, in this case Backpack slot 1.

You can also call a specific InventorySlotID. So to swap MH and OH, you use

/equipslot 16 17

Note that this method is kind of funny - if you have another weapon of the same name in your bag after you swap 16 and 17, pressing the same button will result in it taking the one from your bag to equip. Don't bother asking me why, I don't know.

If you have more than one weapon of the same name, or even if you just have 2 slow weapons, you're better off just using the Bag Slot method. For this reason, I have a macro that reads

#showtooltip Blade Flurry

/cast Blade Flurry

/equipslot 0 1

If your only weapons are a Sword and Dagger though, feel free to use the MH OH swap.

#showtooltip Blade Flurry

/cast Blade Flurry

/equipslot 0 1

It would be /equipslot 16 0 1 right?

And I'm sure I could find the information somewhere... but how do weapon swap macros work with the GCD these days?  Don't they trigger a fresh global, but can be used even if you are on a GCD?

You're right, it would be.

And honestly I can't remember - I'm at work right now or I would have just tried it lol

Thank you so much Carrn! Since I currently only have 2 weapons I ended up using a macro that looks like:

#Showtooltip Blade Flurry
/cast Blade Flurry
/equipslot 16 17

This way my currently equipped weapons just swap slots, however due to the GCD on Blade Flurry spamming the button can result in weapons being equipped into the wrong slot. So if any other rogues are thinking of doing it this way, be aware!

I also set up a weakauras for Blade Flurry to help keep this from happening which can be found here:

Blade Flurry:http://pastebin.com/8nUXH4D7

Edited by Shananigans

Thank you so much Carrn! Since I currently only have 2 weapons I ended up using a macro that looks like:

#Showtooltip Blade Flurry

/cast Blade Flurry

/equipslot 16 17

This way my currently equipped weapons just swap slots, however due to the GCD on Blade Flurry spamming the button can result in weapons being equipped into the wrong slot. So if any other rogues are thinking of doing it this way, be aware!

I also set up a weakauras for Blade Flurry to help keep this from happening which can be found here:

Blade Flurry:http://pastebin.com/8nUXH4D7

That reminds me! I've been meaning to update my WeakAuras post for a really long time now, I just always seem to get distracted