FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Chrona

Another shaman help question

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-wq6vvt1gfvuz5fip/details/8/

This is our world of logs report for today's raid. 
I'm really struggling with dps. However, on fights like the butcher I'm managing around 23k. I know I have a lot of mastery when I should be going for multistrike, but everything is badly itemized and I'd rather take something that's a stat upgrade than secondary stat upgrade. I know I mess up my rotation a bit, but I don't understand why my dps can sometimes be as low as 11k

Anyway, could someone help me work out where I'm going wrong?

Chrona

Edited by Chrona

On Tectus, you didn't have Lightning Shield on for the first 2/3 of the fight.. can that be right? That would completely murder your DPS with no Fulmination damage for such a long period. On the other kills it looks like it was up the whole fight.

It looks like you are using the Unleashed Fury talent. The ability has a 15 second cooldown and the buff has a 10 second duration, and since it's your #1 priority at all times, your uptime should be over 60%.

You only used Earthquake on Tectus. It is an integral part of the single-target rotation now. I do wonder about whether it takes priority over Lightning Bolt when the UF buff is active, but until I hear from someone who has done the math, I'm assuming the same priority list holds.

So I need to use lightning bolt (or wet fish bolt) as little as possible?

I did a few trial heroics today and my dps went from 13 over all to 17k

Yes, Lightning Bolt is dead last in our priority list. This is how I adapted the Unleashed Fury talent to Purge's priority list:

1) Unleash Flame on cooldown.

2) Lava Burst whenever available, if Flame Shock won't fall off.

3) Refresh Flame Shock with 9 seconds left. If you have 7-9 seconds and 20 stacks of Lightning Shield, use Earth Shock instead.

4) Use Earth Shock only with 17+ stacks of Lightning Shield.

5) Earthquake.

6) Keep up Searing Totem.

7) Lightning Bolt as filler until any of the above come off cooldown/need refreshing.

If you have two targets that are not together, keep FS on both of them and do your single-target rotation to whichever one you're assigned. If you have multiple targets that are together, use the multiple-target priority.

• Like 1

Tried this in a raid today. I got 18.9k on a single target. I should be doing about 20k. Do you think he could be a gear issue? My ilevel is 650

hi Chrona,

Seems like you have trouble dpsing while moving. That's why you do okay dps on dummy fights like butcher (which means your rotation is okay), and the dps falls below standard on movement fights such as twins or tectus.

Let's help you master your shaman!!

To simplify your rotation, you can try to use the primal elementalist talent.   (it actually is the best talent for fights that's just over 6 min because you get to use full duration fire elemental twice)

If you want to stick with unleashed (which is what I do), then here's what I think will help you:

1~3 targets: Keep flame shock up.  (Especially on 2~3 targets, it's REALLY important to keep flame shock up on all these targets!!  2 targets = 2x lava surge proc, 3 targets = pretty much lava surge procs ALL the time, for me I priortize the flame shock dot on 3 targets over Earthshock..  But still, use up those lightening shield charges when you get a chance)

3+ targets:  Chain lightning & EQ becomes your top priority.  

I really don't like how EQ is now our best AOE ability.  Used to be much simpler in 5.x where we can just spam CL.  Now it's important to know the timeline of the boss.  (Such as Tectus or twins..  If you just finished casting empowered EQ and they start to move out of the area, it's like FML...)

So for fights like twins, be aware of the charge/WW timeline, and don't use EQ when boss is about to use those abilities.

For tectus, anticipate the tank's movement and try to EQ where they're going to go.  (or just stick with CL spam)

When you HAVE to move, this is where I think you aren't doing well enough, and here are a bunch of things you can do:

- Refresh fire totem (if it's less than 5 sec)

- Flame/earth shock

- Unleash (very important as it also makes you run faster)

- cast instant lava burst

- cast liquid magma

- drop earth elemental totem

- dropping a healing stream totem is a viable option.

EACH of these actions incur a 1.5 GCD.  

So if you need to do minor adjustments to your position (ie: Mar'gok's destructive resonance), do unleashed + shock while running, which gives you 3 sec to run around without really losing any dps.

If you need to do some major moving (ie: tectus barrage), then you can do unleashed + shock, drop a few totems while running, then use spirit walker's grace and stick with the regular rotation on your way back.

It does take some practice, and I hope you find this helpful!!!  GL.

• Like 1

On the fights where my dps is ok, I'm not using eq. Is that a problem?

(edited for stupid question)

Edited by Chrona

I use EQ every time the CD is up; no matter what. It's a huge boost for us with our Mastery: Molten Earth talent (if you got the mastery, generally). Honestly, I believe you should be using it no matter what. It takes about 10secs to do CL and lay down EQ. Of course, you need to make sure you put it down in the right spot (like if the boss is about to move and so on).

Again - just my personal opinion and what I do for my shaman.

It's not EQ that causes your dps to drop, it's movements.  In theory, your multiple target dps should always be higher than single target because there's additional targets affected by CL & EQ, and you get multiple flame shock dots that gives you 2 or 3 x more lava surge procs.

So please refer to my first reply about what can you do to maximize your dps while moving, then read this one, which will be on AOE.

single target, EQ is a minor increase than an unbuffed LB, but it's soooo minor that you don't have to strain yourself by casting EQ.  (if boss moves out of the area *such as Kargath Focus,  it's actually a DPS loss.  )

2 targets (twins & brak), your top priority is to maintain flame shock on both, and LVB on CD.

CL + EQ when LVB is on CD.  

Then LB as filler.

And always make sure you use liquid magma when there are 2 targets stacked together.  (this requires your tank to pull mobs very close to each other, which should be a standard, but some ppl are just not doing it properly)

Chain lightning increases EQ dmg by 20% for each target hit.  So if there's 5 targets, use CL -> EQ = 200% dmg EQ on 5 targets = uber dmg.

Again, pls make sure your tanks pull the targets close enough.  They have a big hitbox so sometimes they look like they're next to one another but it's actually too far apart for CL to hit both.

2 targets, use CL -> EQ = 140% dmg EQ on 2 targets, which is still much better than lava burst or LB.  Provided that the targets stay in the EQ area.

So basically, on tectus, Korgath & Margok, have the CL glyph, spam CL in aoe situations, EQ whenever possible.  

on Twins & braken, remove CL glyph for 10% more CL dmg.. 

Oh and lastly, use liquid magma as talent.  It pulls WAY ahead whenever there's more than 1 target.  (probably 1k+ dps increase just by itself)

Edited by JackDai

With my gear, what should I be aiming at on movement fights?

Hey Chrona,

JackDai's advice is about as good as it comes on these forums so you should implement his advice in your rotation and you will see great improvement.  In terms of concrete information, we can only give you an idea of what you should be doing, not what type of numbers you should be seeing.  Every fight is different in terms of number of adds and how long they are up, and also in terms of how the movement phases occur.  

My best advice is to try to master Spiritwalker's Grace because it is a godsend this expansion!

Good luck to you. 

if you can do 23k on butcher, you could be doing more than that on twins (need to play & use SWG very well though).  You definitely should be doing more on Tectus & brak, due to the nature of the fight.

Again, gotta learn your movements, and manage instant casts.  (say if you have lava surge proc & shock CD ready, you know you can run for 3 sec without losing any casting time)

Hi Chrona,

I think you should pay more attention to your Flame Shock uptime - in the log you linked, you have a 75% uptime compared to a 85% uptime you should have had (since you died early).

Try saving your third Ascendance for Heroism.

Note that if you're having trouble moving, you could try casting Unleash while Ghost Wolf is up. For Resto, the speed buffs stack and Unleash doesn't break you from Ghost Wolf form. I assume the same is true for the DPS specs.

It's hard to discern how your damage is so low from the logs.  On many attempts you are not using a second potion.  Because of the lower uptime on flame shock, I would guess you are struggling with putting down the correct rotation.  

In addition, your casts per minute seem a little low.  You're right about where the healers are.  Ele Shamans are generally low but I'm thinking that's a little bit lower.  If you are struggling with rotation I recommend Gold Proving Grounds as an excellent mobile training dummy.