FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Hazenjong

Question about base healing, disc vs holy

Hello, I'm relatively new to the Priest class since I have recently switched from a Mage because my guild required more healers. So far I'm enjoying it quite a bit as a Holy priest and these forums and the guides have answered many of my questions so far, but I can't seem to find an answer regarding the following.

Why is the base healing of Discipline higher than that of holy?

For example, when in Holy specialization my Flash Heal heals for 21,702 + 2767 (Mastery). But when I am in Discipline it heals for 30,425. Now I know that the Disc Mastery boosts the healing, but with my current Mastery that only increases the Direct healing spells by 7%. Why is there such a big difference, does Discipline just have better base healing or am I missing a passive of sorts that boosts Discipline so much? It's almost like the Spiritual Healing Passive isn't functional on Holy, that's the only thing I can think of at least, since that would put the total healing to about 30,500 for me.

Thanks for taking time to read and/or answer my question.

• Like 1

Thank you for the answer, found it myself aswell. Couldn't find it at first because Blizzard has hidden that passive from the spellbook. Still is too big a difference if you ask me, but that is a different discussion. Thanks again. 

Grace was added when back in beta Discipline was, rightfully, judged to be healing much less than any of the other healing classes. They couldn't really change the spec much, this was somewhat late in the beta so radical change of gameplay was out of the question. Their solution was simply to boost all healing discipline did by first 10, then 20 and latest 30%. Ìt's not the most elegant solution considering how it ended up, but it was nonetheless a fix.

It's also hard to compare fairly the effect of Grace to disc and any healing holy can do. A vast majority of healing as holy comes from spells exclusive to Holy namely CoH and Renew and they are most definitely balanced around this.

Edited by Espiee