FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
ZookCloak

[BALANCE] Need Help with Flamethrower (Brackenspore)

Hey all,

So to start off I want to say that I'm very comfortable with Balance in general. I'm able to pull top DPS in my guild on Normal/Heroic Highmaul fights.

Feel free to check my logs here: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/character/138082/latest/

And armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/lightnings-blade/Starlite/simple

However, I seem to be completely missing something apparently very obvious to other Boomkins: Flamethrowers on Brackenspore. Several websites say things like, "Obviously Balance Druid is best for Flamethrowers!" but none really explain how/why. Is it because we can DoT + Starfall, then run around burning and stack the buff up? What is the best way to use the Flamethrowers? I see Boomies talking about hitting 45k+ DPS while on Flamethrower duty and I'm just totally lost on how that's possible.

I do understand the basic mechanics of it. Make sure to never overheat (float around 80), and keep the moss in check to avoid it growing exponentially and overtaking the field. Rapidly turning it on/off seems like a popular strategy. I'm just wondering if there's something hugely obvious I'm missing.

I tried Flamethrowers for the first time on Heroic Brackenspore last week (no log unfortunately). We downed him easily, and the moss never overtook us (it wasn't even an issue at all really), but my DPS was awful. 18k I believe, last place in the group.

What should I do, with the Flamethrower as a Balance Druid, to pull such high DPS and keep the moss in check? Any feedback is appreciated!

Thanks,

-Starlite

I think a video will make it easier to understand. Basically starfall and dots with high stacks of the buff is what gives you all the damage.

Watch how this druid does it, as well as /when/.

Em, I just want to check - as far as I've understood he just basically mashes extra action button to get short bursts of fire? Like active and then asap deactivate flamethrower. And as I've seen this enables him to get tremendous amounts of stacks - I've only gotten to like 10 stacks, not more.

Ok, just run the dash glyph and alternate roar, dash, and displacer beast to clear moss. Wait until the first infesting spores before you go to do it. You can get some good dps from doing flamethrower, but to get great dps your guild needs to coordinate the fight better with boss placement.

Edited by Randytaylor

If you know the basics of flamethrower than you should be okay. But don't rapidly turn it on and off this doesn't work as the moss takes a tiny little bit to burn and spamming the button won't give enough time for that, bind your extra action button, pop some movement CDs press button, destroy as much moss as possible, press button to turn off flamethrower. To increase your DPS, try and make sure you ALWAYS have a stack of the DPS/HPS buff, but only if it's not gonna hurt your flamethrowers heat for later on. Then again, there are moments where you can let it cool for a bit - second use of CDs, blue shrooms(unless moss burning is urgent!)

And when your CDs come off again delay them for a little while, go burn a shitton of moss and pop your CDs/second pot and go ham on the boss. Also, when blue shrooms come up, try and clear the moss around it to get a few more stacks of the buff so you can use the blue shroom lust with extra damage.

Other than that it's pretty much what others have said.

But I see why people can think druids are best for flamethrowers, because of travel form :D

And try and co-ordinate with your fellow flamethrower a side of the room to burn moss on. So take where the boss spawns and split down the middle there then facing the boss is left and right. Assign someone to each side, that way you don't burn moss in the same area(also a good way to see who's bad at flamethrowers!). Only exception to the "sides" thing is if the moss around a mushroom or the boss is too close then whoevers got less heat should burn it away. (focus the other flamethrower as you can see their heat-bar. Try and communicate when you need to burn moss around the boss or a shroom yell out that you've got it so they know not to bother and get heat).