FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
VRDRF

Ilevel 661 -2H Frost DK low dps- what Am I doing wrong?

Hey Guys,

I have the feeling that my dps is way below what it should be so Im thinking that I must be doing something wrong here but no matter how much I read up on noxxic, icyveins or these forums I just can't figure it out.

Logs from last nights Imp attempts:

I currently use Storms Weakaura rotation helper from over here:

My Armory:

Im currently doing about 18-20k dps in frost spec and about 14-15k in unholy spec on a single target dummy, so not the ones in your garrison wink.png

I really feel this is to low so I would appreciate any comments or help to get my dps up smile.png

Things I think I might be doing wrong:
-The Weak Aura rotation usually makes me wait for obliterate to come off CD when I got a KM proc and primarily do not use this on frost strikes.
-I might need to get more frost strikes in, not sure tho.
-Is my weapon the problem since frost is pretty reliant on weapon dps?
-Are my stats all wrong?

My rotation:
Defile on CD
Outbreak to apply diseases
Obliterate on KM
Howling Blast on Rime
Plague Leech on CD
Frost strike when rune capped

Now this is a part I'm not sure about:
-Do I use Obliterate when I do not have a KM proc or should I spam frost strike instead?
-Should I use a KM proc on frost strike when Obliterate has a CD of 2 sec or more?

I'm starting to think I'm over complicating things :P
Edited by VRDRF

You should obliterate enough to make sure you always have 1 of each rune regenerating. This can be difficult sometimes with death runes because they're always used last, so sometimes you'll have to burn through all of your runes to use the death runes. Whenever you can you should save 1 obliterate incase a KM proc comes up.

I actually need to update the weak aura for frost strike. you should definitely frost strike for a KM proc if you have high RP and obliterate is going to be on cooldown for more than 2-3 seconds.

Your obliterate Crit% vs. Frost strike crit% seems a little low though. you're usually around 55% obliterate crit and 40% frost strike crit. On most of my better logs my difference is more like 65% to 40%. You may be getting a little bit too spammy with your frost strike when you do have high RP.

Some fights you aren't pre-potting, some fights you don't use a second pot, some fights there wasn't any pot at all. that can definitely make a difference, maybe not a huge difference in the overall dps, but at least a few hundred.

your soul reapers seem inconsistent, probably mostly due to swapping to adds. all the target swapping and movement really hurts melee's dps on Imp specifically, but once I know Imp is below 35% I always make a point to switch back to him and soul reaper on CD even if I'm switched to adds. It's easily made the difference between 22k and 25k dps for me.

In general Imp can be a hard fight on the melee's dps, just knowing where your tanks pull the boss in different phases and always planning on where he's going to be moving next to maximize your uptime can make a huge difference. I can easily have a 4k+/- dps swing from one attempt to the next just based on how well I can stay on the boss/add/mage/etc. for the whole fight. A good way to look at this is to have warcraft logs graph the dps of your auto attacks

Good attempt

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/9Nf1mVqcAkvt2bGW#type=damage-done&fight=14&pins=0%24Separate%24%23244F4B%24damage%240%240.0.0.Any%2497249311.0.0.DeathKnight%24true%240.0.0.Any%24false%241

Bad attempt

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/9Nf1mVqcAkvt2bGW#type=damage-done&fight=8&pins=0%24Separate%24%23244F4B%24damage%240%240.0.0.Any%2497249311.0.0.DeathKnight%24true%240.0.0.Any%24false%241

This is a good way to look at one attempt vs. and determine how 'active' you were. the more peaks and valleys you have throughout the fight the less consistent your dps will be from one attempt to the next, and consistency of staying on a target performing actions at all times will make the biggest difference of anything for Imp. just by doing (#auto attacks / fight duration) I can tell you that you were attacking something about 5% more often on the good attempt vs. the bad attempt

Your obliterate Crit% vs. Frost strike crit% seems a little low though. you're usually around 55% obliterate crit and 40% frost strike crit. On most of my better logs my difference is more like 65% to 40%. You may be getting a little bit too spammy with your frost strike when you do have high RP.

You mean that I waste a KM proc on Frost strike to much? I've started using a swing timer so that should make things easier smile.png

Some fights you aren't pre-potting, some fights you don't use a second pot, some fights there wasn't any pot at all. that can definitely make a difference, maybe not a huge difference in the overall dps, but at least a few hundred.

Correct, fixed that smile.png

your soul reapers seem inconsistent, probably mostly due to swapping to adds. all the target swapping and movement really hurts melee's dps on Imp specifically, but once I know Imp is below 35% I always make a point to switch back to him and soul reaper on CD even if I'm switched to adds. It's easily made the difference between 22k and 25k dps for me.

Good one! will deff look into that.

Thanks for taking the time to help me Storm, greatly appreciated smile.png

Edited by VRDRF