FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Getemoffme

First dk, looking for dps guide/help

I have been all over the forum here, and across the web.     I don't actually need any specific information based off of my toon.   I am looking for broader information.

For someone just starting to join the raiding world, and wearing gear from heroics and a little LFR.      What is the suggested spec?       Does unholy, or frost push out more dps with sub par gear?

Like i said, i don't need very in depth information.   I am mainly looking for a "When first raiding i would go unholy"   or "To get your foot in the door i think you should give frost a shot"

I understand it will be peoples personal preference for spec, but Im willing to take any ideas at this point.

Thanks for the time

Get

With the most recent hotfix, you will want to go Frost to begin with. DW vs 2h depends on the weapons available to you.

Ty for the quick reply.     Currently I only have the option for a 2h.        Ill have to go read the hotfix more to see what all changed

In my opinion Frost is easier to play than unholy also. Some lifelong unholy dk's may disagree, but as a Blood DK recently turned mainspec dps, I have a much easier time with frost than I do with unholy. 

For guides I'd recommend starting with our DK guides here. that will point you in the right direction for talents, glyphs, stat priorities (although with the haste buff today, haste is likely at least equal to multistrike, and possibly better, so prioritize haste higher than where the guide has it right now).

https://www.icy-veins.com/wow/frost-death-knight-pve-dps-statistics-priority

After that I would also recommend downloading weak auras and trying out my 2H frost weak auras

https://www.icy-veins.com/forums/topic/8360-storms-2h-frost-rotation-helpers-weak-auras/

They aren't perfect but they're another way to help you get a good start. I follow almost 100% what the weak auras tells me to do, and when I find something different I try to figure out a way to change it in the aura, so it's pretty accurate.

after that try to get some logs and we can go over them fight by fight and see where you can improve.

In my opinion Frost is easier to play than unholy also. Some lifelong unholy dk's may disagree, but as a Blood DK recently turned mainspec dps, I have a much easier time with frost than I do with unholy. 

For guides I'd recommend starting with our DK guides here. that will point you in the right direction for talents, glyphs, stat priorities (although with the haste buff today, haste is likely at least equal to multistrike, and possibly better, so prioritize haste higher than where the guide has it right now).

https://www.icy-veins.com/wow/frost-death-knight-pve-dps-statistics-priority

After that I would also recommend downloading weak auras and trying out my 2H frost weak auras

https://www.icy-veins.com/forums/topic/8360-storms-2h-frost-rotation-helpers-weak-auras/

They aren't perfect but they're another way to help you get a good start. I follow almost 100% what the weak auras tells me to do, and when I find something different I try to figure out a way to change it in the aura, so it's pretty accurate.

after that try to get some logs and we can go over them fight by fight and see where you can improve.

Wow that was very helpful!     Im off to get that addon right now and read the guide you linked.       Tonight will be my first real raid (other than LFR) so I will get logs and come back.

Thanks both of you for the help.   I have never played a DK before and just had no idea where to even start.

I'm in the upper perfecntiles for both unholy and frost (foxes-thrall if you want to look me up) and I have to say storms weak auras are a major reason I do well. Highly recommend them (though it sounds like you are already getting them) Just wanted to add that they really are an amazing resource.