Lockdupagain

Demonology Warlock Talent Breakdown

6 posts in this topic

My name is Lockdupagain, I love playing a lock, and I love PVP.

Before I get started I would like to say that this is my first guide like this so if I put something on here you disagree with comment and let me know, I have come to my opinions through experience and watching others succeed and fail. I want to help any other locks out there, there seems to be fewer and fewer of us, so I want all of us to represent well. I feel that Demonology is atm an underrated/underappreciated spec. I say this because, while many are playing it, I see more destro locks in arena because of CB and SB. Burst is a big deal right now with everyone killing each other in a few globals. With that being said here we go…

First, we are going to go over talents and glyphs. The beauty of this xpac is that we have the ability to change this prior to a fight (keeping tomes on you is a must these days).

Level 15 talents:

Dark Regeneration- This is a no brainer for me, as it restores 30% of you and your pets max health, and increases all healing by 25% over 12 sec. When used in conjunction with Glyph of Healthstone (we’ll talk about this later) this is pro. It also helps your healer, who will thank you later.

Soul Leech- This a passive heal for a % of the damage done, this feels like a PVE talent and I have not found use for it, as control over your heals in PVP is almost a must.

Harvest Life- This is situational and can be used against certain teams; mainly ones containing a BM hunter. Harvest life is like Drain life, but AOE style. It generates Demonic Fury as well as heals for a decent amount when there are a lot of targets. When a Hunter pops Zoo (Stampede) it summons more pets, meaning at that time there can be 8 or so targets, pop Harvest life, and you can survive the damage, and come out with plenty of Dfury to return in kind.

Conclusion: Dark Regen should be your go to talent, unless the situation dictates Harvest Life.

The level 30 talents are not as clear cut. This one is VERY situational and I will not go into great detail here just the basics, if you have more questions on this tier PM me and I’ll gladly explain further.

Howl of Terror- This is a good talent for team without the capability to immune your fears. i.e., Warrior/Priest/Shaman. With that being said, Melee teams that jump on you will be sent in all directions, stacking on your healer and poping this is great. The CD is 40 sec, but when you are hit by a damaging attack the CD is decreased by 1 sec. making this very valuable when you are being trained.

Mortal Coil- When MoP first dropped I thought this was a great talent, but it is actually the worst of the 3. The heal is ok, but it’s just not enough with a 45 sec CD.

Shadowfury- This is an AOE stun (3 sec) and is best when you are running against Fear immune classes. It is a great peel for your healer, or a good interrupt. With a 30 sec CD it is the shortest of the 3 (base CD), but be careful if you are running with a stun heavy class as you could DR their stuns.

Conclusion: HoT and Sf are the only two you should be using, given the proper situation, of course.

The Level 45 talents are easy for Demo. Sacrificial Pact is the only one under any circumstance. I'll explain why:

Soul Link- Shares the damage and healing between you and your demon. This is terrible, because melee teams can focus your pet if they cannot get to you and still hurt you.

Sacrificial Pact- As Demo your demon does a good percentage of your dmg so you ALWAYS want your demons out (Don’t Sac!!), but we will get to that in a bit. Sac Pact gives you a bubble for 10 sec of that’s half your pets current health, and when used with glyph of Demon Training, this is very powerful. You can also use this while cc’d (Mage stun, survive the shatter combo.) This is the only talent you need from this tier.

Dark Bargain- This prevents all dmg for 8 sec... Sounds good right? Keep reading. When the bubble fades you take half that dmg as an 8 sec DoT. This means when you survive the initial burst from that BM Hunter or Warrior then you take that dmg and the dmg that they are putting out post DB. This can easily backfire.

Conclusion: As Demo, Sac Pact is my only choice.

Tier 60 Talents have some debate as well, but the advantages of Blood Fear, I believe, out shines the other two.

Blood Fear- Replaces fear with an instant cast fear. That’s seriously OP.

Burning Rush- Increases movement speed by 50% at cost of your HP; this is not a good PVP talent, that’s about it.

Unbound Will- Purges all magic effects, and movement impairing effects. This is essentially a second trinket, which can be useful, but I feel like an instant fear is far superior in terms of viability. I know a lot of people are using this, but I think you lose out on too much cc ability.

Conclusion: My recommendation is Blood Fear, you do not have to worry about your CC being interrupted, no juking your cc cast, and personally I have only been in one situation in which I needed unbound will warrior at 4k HP and healer cc’d, and I got cc’d. Other than that I cannot tell you how many times my instant fear saved my butt, or my healers butt, with a clutch interrupt or cc.

Tier 75 Talents, this is the source of my arguing with other Locks. Two are good, one is eh, and everyone has an opinion, so here is mine. Posted Image

Grimoire of Supremacy- Your Demons become upgraded, and deal 20% more damage. The Wrathguard is sweet, just saying. In all seriousness, if you are demonology then you obviously rely on your demons. This to me is a no brainer, but there is argument for others. Mastery makes your pets hit harder, and you hit harder in and out of demon form. The wrathguard hurts peoples feelings.

Grimoire of Service- Bring out a second demon for 20 sec. It’s a nice dps burst, but only 20 sec on a 2 min CD it doesn’t offer many advantages in comparison.

Grimoire of Sacrifice- Sac your demon and gain a passive heal and increase the power of some of your single target spells. This argument holds weight, but it does not make sense to me being Demo, Destro GET IT!! WE will talk about that later though.

Conclusion: While the argument for GoSac has some weight, I feel that the pets are too strong with Supremacy, thus making it the best choice.

Tier 90 Talents are fun and offer some interesting options, so without further adoo...

Archimonde’s Vengeance- Cause an enemy to take 25% of all damage you take for 8 sec. Also 5% passively. This is nice against KFC and high burst dmg teams where you can make the healer or your target take 25% of the dmg that you are being hit with, essentially making their teammates (or them) DPS their teammate. I love this talent, but it is situational. I’ll get into that in the conclusion.

Kil’jaeden’s Cunning- You can cast and channel while moving for 6 sec. Passively, you can cast on the run with a 50% increase in cast time. Super OP, if you have hard casts… As Demo we use instant casts so this is unnecessary.

Mannoroth’s Fury- This is great when you are running against Rogue, Druid, Mage, or any other class blizz lets have vanish/invis/camo (hunters) smoking a rogue out of stealth from half the map away if fun especially when you can literally see them piss themselves out in the open. I run this in RBGs to keep people off the flag.

Conclusion: Take AV when not running against stealth, otherwise take MF.

That is the talent section, I wanted to put the tooltips in, but i was getting errors every time I tried, so for that I apologize. I will have the glyph section following quickly, if you have any comments, questions, or complaints let me know. This is my first guide, but not my first xpac. Myself and GammO want the PVP Locks to get a good representation so we are putting in some work to help you guys. Feel free to PM us.

Edited by Lockdupagain

I just wanted to say - I have no enthusiasm for PvP, nor any experience with Locks. Nevertheless, I'm happy to see someone enthusiastic for it. Please do keep writing :)

• Like 1

Very nice start to what would be a complete guide to Demo PvP . I'm Destro and may be inspired to follow your example sometime and write a Destro PvP guide.

How do you find Demo against those nasty clothie killing classes? (Warrior, Rogue)

Great I actually think that demo locks are the best equipped to take down rogue/warrior its all about situational awareness, and using your terrain to your advantage. I have been contemplating postin links I vids, but idk yet. Also, the destro guide will be up soon. My only regret is that I can't put tool tips up due to icy veins restrictions. If you want the vids let me know.

Edited by Lockdupagain
  • Like 1

Also, the destro guide will be up soon. My only regret is that I can't put tool tips up due to icy veins restrictions. If you want the vids let me know.

I seem to remember Damien telling me that it auto-tooltips when you link to WoWhead. That may have changed, I don't know for sure.

Edit: I just tested this; you just have to link to the relevant WoWhead page for the item or whatever. Use the "Link" tool in the options at the top. Example:

Masterwork Ghost Shard

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By TheKaiser
      I have a few questions concerning the upcoming expansion:
      First I wanted to ask, how everything with legendarys and artefacts is now going to be, are there still gonna be legendarys with the same role as in Legion and what about artefacts, are the HoA armors the new artefacts ?

Furthermore I wanted to know wheter or not pvp is mandatory for warfronts and island plundering or if you don't need to be a top pvp player to still achieve some nice things and interesting rewards.

With warfronts I also wanted to enquire how the gameplay most likely will look like, they are pve events so you shouldn't need to be a pvp player, right ?
      Also one last question, how hard do you think the warfront rewards will be to get ? The transmog does look quite nice and I wanted to ask if it is gonna be something, that is going to be locked and only available to hardcore players
    • By Frostjin
      <Currently Online> US - Illidan - Horde - Is recruiting raiders for all difficulties, and social/casual players of all levels!
      _______________________________________________________________________________________________
      About Us:
      <Currently Online> Founded 2014 by a core group that has been playing World of Warcraft since Vanilla. Currently Online has since evolved to far more than a guild; we are a full scale gaming community with our roots in World of Warcraft. 
      _______________________________________________________________________________________________
      What We Offer: 
      The largest and most active World of Warcraft community in the world, with over 9,000 members across 9 guilds (6 Alliance, 3 Horde), we offer a huge slate of activities to our players, both in WoW and out...
      Raiding: 
      9/9 H ToS Progression 2 Raid Teams - ranging from Casual to Mythic Progression See the teams and their needs on our website: http://currentlyonline.gg/raiding
      PvP:
      1 RBG Teams Countless members always looking for BGs and arenas! Learn more about our PvP offerings on our website: http://currentlyonline.gg/rbgs
      For Socials:
      Always active guild chat - 3 guilds linked with the add-on Greenwall. In-game activities and competitions: XMog Contests, PvP Events, Mythic+ Spams, Achievement Runs, Alt Raids, Yolo BGs, and more! Bi-Weekly In-Game Lottery! New Member Orientations! Come make some new friends! Room for advancement as an officer. Out of WoW:
      Private Gaming Servers such as Minecraft & 7DaysToDie Destiny 2 Clan Steam Group FFXIV Company Rust Clan Always active Discord w/ thousands of users Drinking Nights Monthly Giveaways _______________________________________________________________________________________________
      To Join:
      If you find yourself on Illidan Horde, simply "/who Currently Online" and ask for an invite! If you're not on one of our realms yet, let us know on our website and we'll keep your seat warm!
      http://currentlyonline.gg/join 
      Contact Us: 
      You can contact us by Btag, or email as listed below.
      Add one of the following officers to your Btag:
      Coldcrow#1329
      Joberty#7753
      OR
      Email us at:
      Coldcrow@currentlyonline.gg
      Swampage@currentlyonline.gg
      We hope to see everyone in game!

• By Caldyrvan
      A few days ago I posted a cheap priest deck. I have no idea how many actually have been interested in it but maybe we had some none registered visitors who knows. So here another deck. Again inspired by Chump but I had a similar deck before. Compared to Chumps' version I replaced 2x Twilight Summoner with 2x Spawn of N'Zoth (beause Epics are not budget :D) and I didn't want to craft Forbidden Ritual myself so I've put in 2 commons instread, Mortal Coil and Zealous Initiate.
      It's technically a Zoo but it plays differently which is a nice change to the "we know it all" stuff :)
      Total Arcane Dust Cost: 1500
      2x Flame Imp 1x Mortal Coil 2x Possessed Villager 2x Sanguine Reveler 2x Voidwalker 1x Zealous Initiate 2x Dire Wolf Alpha 2x Volatile Elemental 2x Darkshire Councilman 2x Devilsaur Egg 2x Spawn of N'Zoth 2x Unwilling Sacrifice 1x Void Terror 2x Ravenous Pterrordax 1x Cobalt Scalebane 2x Despicable Dreadlord 2x Bonemare Deck Code: AAECAf0GBMQIxQmNrQLKywINMNkHwgi0rAL2rgKNrwLnwQKrwgK0xAKXywL3zQKmzgKJ4gIA
      Guide:
      This deck is basically a Zoo, you can find a well written guide here, but maybe somewhat slower and less reliable due to the fact that you need to combo with your deathrattle cards but the value you get out of them should make up for it. As with any Zoo deck you want to put early pressure on your opponent and establish board control with cheap minions and playing on curve.
      In your starting hand you want to see a couple of 1 mana minions and a 2 (and/or maybe a 3 mana cost) mana cost to put something on the board and plan for your next turns. Flame Imp is always a good choice as well as Sanguine Reveler and a 1, 2 or maybe a 3 mana deathrattle minion to combo with. Against more aggressive decks a Voidwalker could be a good choice as well, against slower decks you might consider to keep a Devilsaur Egg. To be able to play a Darkshire Councilman on turn 3 is great too.
      You have good tools to maintain board control (besides the minions you already have) like Volatile Elemental which has great synergy with your cannibal cards like Ravenous Pterrordax. Unwilling Sacrifice is a bit like Deadly Shot and needs accurate play to be not a waste but the potential value you can get out of it is great. And later in the game Despicable Dreadlord helps a lot to maintain board control.
      Have fun :)
      -> Budged Aggro Priest Deck
    • By Violentravi
      Hello,
      The Sworn is recruiting DPS.  We are a Horde guild on Arthas and our current progression is 4/9 Mythic TOS.  We only raid two nights a week, Tuesday and Wednesday from 9:05 PM until 12:05 AM Eastern.  Currently, our main goal is to push Mythis TOS progression versus clearing farmed content, please keep this in mind if you wish to join us.
      From you, we would expect 100% attendance during your trial period; after that if you cannot make a raid or will be late it is mandatory to keep the raid leader updated.  In order to continue making good progression while raiding only two nights a week, we expect that you know your class inside-out and will research any bosses you are unfamiliar with prior to raids.
       If you are interested, you can either reply to this thread and link your most recent combat logs for review or hit me up on battlenet, Violentnacho, recruiting officer (violentravi#1826.
      Thank you for your consideration
      Xoxo
      Violentnacho
    • By warsongministries
      The clock is ticking ladies and gentlemen.  In these dark hours we are fighting off Armageddon on a dozen fronts. It is easy to be weary and it is easy to forget purpose.
      My name is Reverend John Hagee and I am the seventh son of the seventh son. 
      I have come to bring you a holy message engraved upon my very soul by the light. Evil exists; it is has been recorded in the books of history. Written in the blood of our families who have died fighting the unholy horde. We cannot hide from this evil, it has shaped us.  It has become part of who we are.  My grandfather fell fighting at the dark portal in the first war and my father fell fighting the undead in Stratholme. My family has served the light with a fiery faith for generations.  And I know one day the light will see fit to call me home from the field of battle and so shall my sons take up the holy banners of the alliance and meet the cowardly horde on the fields of battle. 
      Arthas tried to consume our world with his undead masses.  Deathwing shattered the very grounds of Azeroth.  The Iron Horde tried to accomplish when the Azerothian horde have always been too weak to do, annihilate us all. We are living in age of enemies. There is the savage inhuman orc that drank of the demon’s blood before invading and slaughtering our kin.  The forsaken whose souls are so twisted they no longer feel the light, who are led by the banshee queen who soul is owed to the old god Yogg Saron. The once great tauren, an old race that is supposed to guardian nature yet allies itself with corruptions of nature!  The trolls who so readily excepted the horde..who have been the enemies of humans and elves alike for more than an age. We are living in age of enemies. Surrounded and attacked on all sides.
      I have served the light all my long and weary life.  I have come to the conclusion that while we idolize its ideals we have missed its personification that dwells amongst us.  Surely, the night elf goddess Elune is the very manifestation of the light we worship.  Elune is herself is a goddess of the light, shining on us and guiding us in the dark hours.  How many times has her power been manifest when we need it the most? How many wounds mended by the night elf sisters that serve Elune?  Is it not she who cleansed the soul of the fallen dragon aspect Ysera?  The dreamer who had been our ally for countless fights fallen by the legion but cleansed by the might of Elune!
      If we accept Elune as the lights will incarnate, then you must accept that the Night Elves have a sacred place within our faith. We must provide support to this conflict for they are Elune’s chosen people.  What we do for them, we do for ourselves. They are a race brought into existence by Elune, blessed by Elune.
      In Ashenvale the horde rears its head, destroying the sacred forests of Night Elves.  It is an ever-growing struggle between our allies, the forces of good and the horde, the corrupting darkness that consumes our world.  In the bellies of Warsong Gultch the great evil of our time struggles against our persecuted brethren, the Silverwing Sentinels.  If there is one thing I can make clear it is that Elune has chosen the Night Elves as her people and we have chosen ourselves to be there allies. To the savage horde know this, we shall meet you on the fields of battle and you shall know the power of a mighty god.  We will be the tool that smites you and washes your stain from this land.  We shall condemn you to the ravaging maw of the twisting nether. I call all those who serve the light to answer the needy call of the Night Elves. Alliance, I call on you.

For the advocates of peace remember this, to see evil and call it anything other than evil, is to be evil.

Okay, probably bad rp attempt aside, <warsong ministries> is looking to build some twink teams.  I ran a 19 guild called <I found the flag honest> prior to the separation of the brackets and only recently discovered twinking was viable again.  I personally run 19s, 60s, and am working on a 99.  I have a few other 60s and 19s in guild but would like to expand.  If you have a homeless twink or want to build one, please consider rolling on Khaz Modan or Azjol nerub and joining us.  Any bracket welcome as well as mains.  I will help you get set up in any bracket to the best of my ability. catch me in game under Johnhagee, historical, absolution, moonseed, or undying. or just add the battletag omega#1452

This Alliance will disintegrate if we do not come together and drive away the demons, whatever form they take.