FORUMS
Grimtooth

Am I interpreting Simcraft correctly?

So previously ran Simcraft on my hunter, prior to last nights clear of normal HM and was right below 21k on my BM specced hunter (link in sig).  Now my interpretation of Simcraft is that it is the ideal DPS that can be reached on a Patchwerk type dps race fight with no movement and ideal actions.  Am I correct in this assumption?

Now what percentage of that ideal DPS would be be expected to get on the closest we have to a Patchwerk type fight now, aka, The Butcher?  I was thinking that if my ideal dps is just shy of 21k, then my "real" dps would be around 16-17k on Butcher.  Last night I ended up at 19k.  That was a huge improvement over last week where I was in the 16k range on him, but I did get a couple upgrades and now have Barrage pretty well practiced into my rotation.  So I knew I would be higher, but didn't think I would be that close to the Simcraft numbers.

So previously ran Simcraft on my hunter, prior to last nights clear of normal HM and was right below 21k on my BM specced hunter (link in sig).  Now my interpretation of Simcraft is that it is the ideal DPS that can be reached on a Patchwerk type dps race fight with no movement and ideal actions.  Am I correct in this assumption?

Now what percentage of that ideal DPS would be be expected to get on the closest we have to a Patchwerk type fight now, aka, The Butcher?  I was thinking that if my ideal dps is just shy of 21k, then my "real" dps would be around 16-17k on Butcher.  Last night I ended up at 19k.  That was a huge improvement over last week where I was in the 16k range on him, but I did get a couple upgrades and now have Barrage pretty well practiced into my rotation.  So I knew I would be higher, but didn't think I would be that close to the Simcraft numbers.

If you are within 95% of your Sim dps I would consider you in a good place. However don't consider it your upper limit, players often play above their simc DPS.

Alright thanks.  I know that I am still fumbling on some aspects of my rotation and my internet has been pretty crappy lately with some serious freeze ups in the middle of fights.  Here was my Butcher log from last night,

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/NMzQJKa6dBZyHjvR#fight=8

And looking at my actions, I think I am doing alright keeping Kill Command going off and weaving in Barrage.  But I am thinking I am coming up short on Arcane Shot.

Your assumption is pretty much correct.

You should, if you're playing 'perfectly', be able to beat SimCraft more often than not. SimCraft naturally assumes completely average procs,  but you as a human can still make slightly better usage out of those same procs. The sim APL -is- a robot, after all. It doesn't make any decisions we don't tell it to, and a lot of those are beyond the scope of what such an APL can achieve.