FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Frost666

Review my Prot-Warrior

Hail, fellow Warriors!

Since we're engaging the heroic content of the actual raid I'm want my DPS to optimize their performance.

To do the same thing myself - as far as I can do as an tank - I would like to ask you to check my gear and my playstyle (regarding logs) for major faults. Am I doing something wrong?

So if you have some time and are willing to spend it helping a prot-warrior to improve on his play I would really appreciate any critic.

Armory:

http://eu.battle.net/wow/de/character/azshara/Frostglow/advanced

Recent-Raid-Logs:

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/guilds/28676

Thank you very much in advance!

Cheers,

Frost

I'll get to the logs later today, hopefully, but I took a quick look at your armory. I would recommend going to a crit-focused build with crit enchants and gems except for your weapon, on which you should use Mark of Blackrock. Mastery is behind crit right now because of the damage but also because of diminishing returns. What I mean by that is that crit's diminishing returns are so small at current stat weights that you're getting almost exactly the same percent chance to parry from crit as you would get percent chance to block from mastery. Normally, mastery give you better smoothness at the expense of a bit more damage taken. Currently, you're taking significantly more. If you have the same chance to mitigate 30% of damage as you do to mitigate 100%, the latter is simply stronger even if it is slightly spikier. You can make up for some of the spikiness with the extra rage that crit gives you as well.

I also noticed you have the Pillar of Earth. If you can, get the Knight's Badge or the Evergaze Arcane Eidolon from Imperator.

Thank you very much for this first info! So I wll change my enchants and gems to crit!

Some words on the logs would be very appreciated if you find time...

Cheers,

Frost

I'm starting off by looking at your heroic logs from the 12th.

I'm looking at your heroic Twin Ogron kill first. I see 1 Last Stand, two Shield Walls, and 6 Demo Shouts. I also see 4 trinket uses. For an 8 minute fight, you could have more CD uses overall. I see 7 Bloodbaths and 6 Dragon Roar. Make sure youre syncing up your BB/DR uses for best effect. You have 3 Vigilances, so it's good to see you're thinking about your cotank's survivability.

For your mitigation, I see a 48.79% uptime, so you're making good use of SBlk. You also had 14 SBars with an average size of just under 18k. Makre sure you're using SBar with 60 rage so you're getting good use out of it.

Looking at your damage taken, it looks like you took about one stack every Quake phase except one. It's not a horrendous amount of damage, but it's still an area you could improve on.

I see you're not using Glyph of Cleave, which is a glyph I'd highly recommend for Twin Ogron. It's a pretty ideal situation for that glyph. I also see 43 uses of Thunder Clap, which is rather high. You also hit only one boss on eleven of those uses. Thunder Clap's damage is pretty low and it doesn't generate rage, so other than applying Deep Wounds, you could be making better use of those GCDs.

As far as GCDs used, I'd expect around 320 for an 8 minute fight. From your logs, I see 258 used, so you could probably use a few more. It looks like you're tanking Phemos. I'd recommend running out for the Whirlwind and Heroic Leaping back in. You'll be able to keep hitting Phemos while you're running out and you can hit Pol once you Leap back in and you're waiting for Phemos to run back in.

Your rage usage was pretty good. Looks like only one or two hits wasted any rage at all, for a total of 23 rage wasted. Good work!

Looking at your normal Mar'gok kill, I see pretty much the same pattern of CD usage. I see a lower SBlk uptime, but I would expect that for this fight since you're not going to be tanking the whole time. This is another fight where I'd recommend Glyph of Cleave. I see in your armory that you're using Heavy Repercussions, I would recommend switching that out for either Unyielding Strikes or Sudden Death. I prefer US for fights with lots of cleave opportunity or where you're not tanking for long periods of time. I prefer Sudden Death for fights where you won't have the time to build and use US stacks or where you'll be tanking often enough that you won't be able to spam HS during the lower stacks of US. Your SBar uses had low average size again.

Your rage usage on this fight wasn't quite as good as it could have been. You generated 3260 rage and wasted a total of 202 of it, or 6%.

Overall, you're doing fairly well. Make sure you're making good use of your CDs and GCDs and keep an eye on your glyph and talent choices on each fight.

• Like 1

Thank you so much for this valuable feedback on the logs! I'll work on the mentioned improvements and will have a closer look on optimal glyph- and talent-settings for the specific encounters.

I really appreciate that you spend your free time to help me!

Cheers,

Frost

Edit:

Oh, one more question - we're going to engage Ko'ragh this evening. What glyph/talent-setup would you recommend for this encounter? I made pretty good experience with shockwave to stun the adds within the silence areas. But are there other recommendations?

Edited by Frost666

If you're the one dealing with adds, keep Gylph of Cleave on, if not, take it off. Wind and Thunder also helps with add pickup. Shockwave is a good choice for dealing with the adds.

Hey!

I just got back from a very dissapointing raid evening in heroic hm.

So, I checked the logs and I'm pretty suprised about the other (pug-)Tanks.

I just wondered if you could compare the warrior tanks on the Butcher-Trys/Kill and tell me if I did something wrong or if they did it wrong,...

Thank you very much in Advance!

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/17cd8nDxKQJYyh6H#fight=8&type=summary

My Armory-Profile:

http://eu.battle.net/wow/de/character/azshara/Frostglow/advanced

Cheers,

Frost

You did very well. Could've use a couple more CDs (Last stand, ER, etc.). Your other tank on the other hand had a 4.56% shield block uptime (I'm not sure how that's even possible) and one Shield wall used. So yeah...don't pug him again.

From your armory, I'd expect your no Resolve, 60 rage SBar to be about 22.6k.

You had 2 Shield Wall uses, no Last Stands, 3 Demo Shouts, and 3 trinket uses. You could have fit in two more Demo Shouts and two Last Stands. You had five uses each of Bloodbath, Dragon Roar, and Ravager. You're making good use of your offensive CDs, so try to put that same sort of attention into your defensive CDs.

You had a good SBlk uptime at 49%. You hd 15 SBar casts with an average size of 17k, so you aren't making sure that you have 60 rage when you're using those. Try to make sure you have 60 rage so you get the most out of your SBars.

You also had 12 Sudden Death procs, but only 7 Execute uses.

You gained 2415 rage and wasted 54 (2.23%). Not bad, but you could still get that down a bit more.

For a fight that lasted 4:41, I'd expect around 281 GCDs. You used 191, so you could still be using your GCDs a bit better.

Overall, you're doing pretty well. Just make sure that you're making use of your GCDs!

• Like 1

Thank you very much for your efforts reviewing my logs! I really appreciate this!

Yeah, it's pretty easy to use offensive CDs - like you advised me to synch dragon roar with bloodbath - since I use them everytime they're off cooldown (at least in a fight like the butcher). Regarding the def-CDs I tend to spare them for critical emergency situations when my health drops really low - especially "last stand". Is that wrong?

I'll try to improve the usage of demo shout.

Wow, it seems that I missed a lot of GCDs - have to keep an eye on it. Is there any hint or trick to improve this?

Regarding the def-CDs I tend to spare them for critical emergency situations when my health drops really low - especially "last stand". Is that wrong?

I suffer similar issues. You have to know the encounter and your raid to guess when you need CDs and when you can pop them just the reduce the damage intake and make it easier for healers healing others instead of you.

Announce it so your healers know you won't need healing for the next seconds.

• Like 1

Yeah, I've the RSA-announcer-Addon that is posting in raid- and say-channel when I use relevant def-CDs.

Thank you for the advice! =)

@Estarriol:

Would you mind to post a screenshot of your warrior UI? I'd like to see how you've arranged the important elements.

From your armory, I'd expect your no Resolve, 60 rage SBar to be about 22.6k.

You had 2 Shield Wall uses, no Last Stands, 3 Demo Shouts, and 3 trinket uses. You could have fit in two more Demo Shouts and two Last Stands. You had five uses each of Bloodbath, Dragon Roar, and Ravager. You're making good use of your offensive CDs, so try to put that same sort of attention into your defensive CDs.

You had a good SBlk uptime at 49%. You hd 15 SBar casts with an average size of 17k, so you aren't making sure that you have 60 rage when you're using those. Try to make sure you have 60 rage so you get the most out of your SBars.

You also had 12 Sudden Death procs, but only 7 Execute uses.

You gained 2415 rage and wasted 54 (2.23%). Not bad, but you could still get that down a bit more.

For a fight that lasted 4:41, I'd expect around 281 GCDs. You used 191, so you could still be using your GCDs a bit better.

Overall, you're doing pretty well. Just make sure that you're making use of your GCDs!

This may be a bit offtopic, but how did you get the numbers of GCDs used? Just add the casts of abilities that use GCD together manually?

Thank you very much for your efforts reviewing my logs! I really appreciate this!

Yeah, it's pretty easy to use offensive CDs - like you advised me to synch dragon roar with bloodbath - since I use them everytime they're off cooldown (at least in a fight like the butcher). Regarding the def-CDs I tend to spare them for critical emergency situations when my health drops really low - especially "last stand". Is that wrong?

Wow, it seems that I missed a lot of GCDs - have to keep an eye on it. Is there any hint or trick to improve this?

Defensive CDs are strongest when used to prevent low-health emergencies. If you know you're going to be taking high damage, use them to prevent dangerous situations.

Yeah, I've the RSA-announcer-Addon that is posting in raid- and say-channel when I use relevant def-CDs.

Thank you for the advice! =)

@Estarriol:

Would you mind to post a screenshot of your warrior UI? I'd like to see how you've arranged the important elements.

I'll try to remember to do that. Most of my UI only shows up in combat, especially raid combat, so it may take me a few days. Remind me!

This may be a bit offtopic, but how did you get the numbers of GCDs used? Just add the casts of abilities that use GCD together manually?

I add up the total number of seconds from the fight, then divide by 1.5 and that gives the estimate of how many you could have had. It's actually a low estimate because haste reduces the GCD. Then to get the number used, I just look at the number of abilities used that use a GCD.