FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
nygax

beginner boomkin help

so I just made a boomkin offspec to switch for fights where feral is bad, and there's no other way to put it, I am just terrible and I could use some help getting at least passably decent boomkin dps

logs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/J3fgXHaznx28NpMT

(went feral for imperator because we didn't feel like wiping, was just a casual raid before we start mythic)

armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/emerald-dream/Nygax/advanced

could someone take a look at the logs and tell me the 3 or 4 things I'm doing the most wrong?

thanks

Edited by nygax

Looked at your Butcher kill. Your opener needs major work; you used Celestial Alignment late and went the entire duration of Incarnation without applying your Moonfire/Sunfire. Sunfire also was dropped for a short period after that because it was missed at the end of a solar cycle, but it was mainly not having either up for the opener that really hurt, especially since you have the Balance of Power talent. Review the opening sequence in our guide; I follow it to the letter and the results are always awesome.

Keep your Starsurge charges rolling. You only used it 13 times and you got Shooting Stars procs 10 times! Get in front of the raid dummy and practice keeping it going while using up the Lunar/Solar Empowerment buff and keeping your dots up. If you cap out Starsurge charges because of a SS proc and you still have your Empowerment buff, use Starfall instead to spend one, even on a single target.

Easiest things to fix, no enchants and that 585 trinket. Green gem in your belt (unless you're downing mythic butcher soon might as well throw a good gem in). Drop BoP, pick up Euphoria.

Dot uptime needs work. 99%+ is easily achievable for balance. Prioritize using SS charges in lunar and try to keep no more than 1 banked outside of the last 30s of inc/ca being on CD. I can't say what you should do on a target dummy but I typically float between 27.5-30k on heroic butcher since about 655 (depending on kill length and price). Opener is basically pre-pot at 3s, precast sf, pop cds, MF SS SFx2 SS SFx2 SS SFx2. If you can fit another cycle in before your last GCD of CA do so, just make sure you spend that last GCD refreshing dots. Technically its better to inc, wait out the GCD then racial/ca/MF to not waste a gcd of ca but in practice its like 10DPS so don't sweat it for now. Refresh MF every other Lunar peak, SF every solar peak. I have personally found Euphoria to out DPS Stf and BoP on all fights (even doing flamethrower on bracken and full zerg split tectus) as getting both dots up quickly and easily maintaining them far outweighs them both doing 10% more (short lived adds like bracken) and the enormous haste on empowered casts is amazing on hectic fights for actually getting casts off while dodging things. Stf is okay on Twins but I found I still did 3-5k more with Euphoria even with 99%+ uptime on all 3 dots.

In summary, I'd say:

1. Gear/Talents as its an instant improvement

2. Star surge charge usage

3. Dots

just by doing the opener right, having 100% uptime on both dots and keeping starsurge charges rolling I went from 17.6k to 19.5k on a target dummy after 5 minutes...clearly still have a lot of work to do but it's an improvement

I should also mention that boomkin is my offspec and it will only be used on fights where boomkin is better than feral, and yesterday was my first time playing boomkin in over a year

That's an excellent improvement! Keep in mind we also scale very hard with gear so those missing buffs are a pretty huge amount of DPS loss.

So every fight but Butcher and Twins? Even on those two the gap is very small. But that goes both ways I guess, if you like playing Feral keep on it by all means.

EDIT: My gear is slightly better than yours (669 but all DPS) and after 14m59s on the dummy I ended at 24.1k. Just Motw+Mastery from Moonkin form.

Edited by Racter

I just got the 630 trinket from a follower mission (Turbulent Focusing Crystal, 106 int, on-use 1060 haste for 20 seconds, 2 min cooldown), when is the best time to use it? should i line it up with my 3 min CDs or use it as many times as possible during a fight?

You want to use it on CD unless you will only get two uses out of it, then stack it. IE Butcher is a 4m fight, you're only going to be able to use it once, so it's better to hold it til 3m when your CDs are back up. Otherwise it's better to use the trinket on CD and just let it naturally line up again at 6m. If the fight lasts 10m, use it on 2/4/6, hold it at 8 and use it at 9 with your other CDs popped.

Hope that made sense.