FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Chobani

How To Analyze Your Logs

Hey all,

I'm really loving this forum as of late. I wanted to start this thread up and see how some of you analyze your log reports to find rooms for improvement.

This is something I'd like to know more about. For example, take one of my logs:

http://worldoflogs.c...73&e=901#Coptic

The first thing I check is dot uptime. If it's anything lower than like 98%, I know that it's a matter of either boss mechanics or me failing (the likely cause).

Then I check what spells missed. I only had 1 MG miss. I know that it's a matter of gear here and I might want to consider adding some more hit.

From there, I don't know what else to look at.

I'd like to get a braindump here on other people's strategies. I have a feeling there's a lot of analysis that can be scaled and I'm thinking of writing a web app that would analyze your logs for you and provide feedback,

EDIT:

https://www.icy-veins.com/forums/topic/1007-world-of-logs-a-comprehensive-guide/

andddd Zagam just posted this gem. I think that'll about do it for this thread. . . Posted Image

Edited by Chobani
  • Like 2

I'm not much of an authority on Warlocks, so I can't really speak to that as well as someone like Zagam or Damien could.

I'd just point out that it's extremely useful to run a comparative analysis of your logs and the logs of someone who has performed noticeably better on the same fight in terms of DPS (in this case). It's nice to look at the relative amounts of damage that your spells deal, to see if you're over-using or under-using a spell (more accurately in fact, you should look at the number of casts, since the damage is affected by spell power and such). Of course, you need to make sure the fight lengths are comparable, and account for gear differences.

Another thing that I suspect a lot people overlook when using Worldoflogs is the ability to isolate a segment of the fight and look at stats only for that part. This makes it very easy to see how a given player is handling phase of the fight, and see if there is anything you can improve yourself on.

Anyway, I'll let the more experienced Warlocks comment.

I'd like to get a braindump here on other people's strategies. I have a feeling there's a lot of analysis that can be scaled and I'm thinking of writing a web app that would analyze your logs for you and provide feedback,

In General you might be interested in checking not only your (dot)uptime but maybe buffs and debuffs on the Boss. In addition its helpful to know some key moments in the fight to identify certain phases or times where your raid struggle.

It all depends on the reasons why you analyse the log. If you are wiping it might be intersting to validate reasons. Maybe adds dont die fast enough, so check who did less damage on them then he is supposed to. Is your Tank dieing? Check debuffs on the boss, cd usage and healing done the last 20 seconds or so before he dies. Your healers cant keep up or are OOM 80% into the fight, check if you took unneccessary damage, ...

If its only to improve your DPS try comparing to higher parses. A real nice tool for this is http://raidbots.com/comparebot/ - there you can instantly compare your parse to someone elses. Or two of your parses if you reforged to try around or something like that. Basically what you mentioned as your idea for a webapp.

Just some random ideas

edit: Sry, didnt realize this was in the warlock forum, might be interesting nevertheless

Edited by Scrounger

Hey Chobani, I have took a look over your log and immediatly noticed that your uptime is below 99.5% ( wich usually indicates you are having pauses between your casts, you are moving and not casting fel flame, or there is nothing you can do in that period; Spirit Kings for example has an ability that makes them immune or potentially dangerous to attack, depending on what boss is active ).

What I would suggest is to work closely on your uptime, since what it really matters is the DPS(e) this is the true value and it shows you're doing maximum that your gear can.

What I also notice, that your dot uptime is below 99.5% (wich again is a dps loss, but you already mentioned this).

I am looking for cd uses in general as well, but in your logs the cooldowns seems to be used in favorable times. On bosses as Stoneguard is always good to Soul Swap (glyphed) your dots to the other target so you can have a bigger Nightfall proc + increase boss dmg.

Good luck in your progress Nick.

• Like 1

If anyone has some free time to look at my guilds logs and see where we could improve that would be AWESOME! PM me if you want to wade through :P Sadly it isnt just warlock related, but Im rubbish at reading logs!

Great feedback here, thanks guys!

I like the idea of having something that can analyze why your raid is wiping. Even at the most basic level, something like a FailBot could be pretty cool. It could show every player that stands in something stupid on a fight per fight basis (i.e. damage taken by arcane resonance, people standing in attenuation, etc.).

I probably should have posted this on the general forum since it's not necessarily Warlock specific now that I think about it.

I've been toying around with the idea of somehow baking in ilvl to the WoL/Raidbots rankings. It's cool to look at the top performing locks, but I'd really like a way to filter by locks that have the same ilvl or similar gear stats as me.

• Like 1

Hey I decided to move your topic to general discussion - please note my "plea" above for anyone who is good at going through logs ;)

For someone who is fairly new to logs (I mentioned this quite a while ago on another thread as well) I find the help section on the World of Logs website really poor. So any hints or tips for players new to looking at logs / using / admin for them would be much appreciated by myself and Im sure a load of others too!

I like the idea of having something that can analyze why your raid is wiping. Even at the most basic level, something like a FailBot could be pretty cool. It could show every player that stands in something stupid on a fight per fight basis (i.e. damage taken by arcane resonance, people standing in attenuation, etc.).

Raidbots provide exact that feature, im just not sure if its updated for MoP yet. Starting at Flask/pot usage up to standing in stuff. At least it used to provide this.

Just double checked, its mostly updated, no new pots in there yet - but at least potential mistakes (for MSV) and significant classskills are in there

I probably should have posted this on the general forum since it's not necessarily Warlock specific now that I think about it.

I've been toying around with the idea of somehow baking in ilvl to the WoL/Raidbots rankings. It's cool to look at the top performing locks, but I'd really like a way to filter by locks that have the same ilvl or similar gear stats as me.

Also remember that looking at the top X number of people on World of Logs and checking their DPS doesn't usually say much. The top rankings are almost always in one way or another unusual circumstances, such as players being fed Unholy Frenzy/Power Infusion (when this used to be possible), Tricks of the Trade etc, or players not following the conventional strategy of the fight (not stacking with the rest of the raid in front of the boss = no parried attacks). So they're nice to find good players in top guilds, but a lot of the stuff in there may not really be applicable.

Raidbots provide exact that feature, im just not sure if its updated for MoP yet. Starting at Flask/pot usage up to standing in stuff. At least it used to provide this.

For my character is not updating for some strange reason, it's been already more then 2 weeks then the last update.

It still shows some of these details, but it doesn't show most of the fails like it used to show before.

I am currently writing a very detailed guide on how to use World of Logs to overcome things. It's going to be the most comprehensive how-to-use WoL guide on the internet. Just give me some time. It should stop this "please look at my logs and tell me how to fix things" by letting people become smarter on how to use them to find their own groups' flaws and mistakes.

• Like 4

For my character is not updating for some strange reason, it's been already more then 2 weeks then the last update.

It still shows some of these details, but it doesn't show most of the fails like it used to show before.

If you analyse a complete raidparse it currently shows the most common fails, like amethyst pools, wildfire and stuff. I guess it will take a while to include some of the interesting parts of the other 2 raids. Since the forum over there is down its hard to tell if anyone is working on this.

@Zagam Im really intersting in reading this guide, maybe some good additional ideas to the stuff i usually do, thanks in advance.

RAGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Just spent an hour and 30 minutes writing a beautiful guide and my computer crashed. I'll have it up within next 4 hours after I take my old computer outside and beat it up Office Space style. ROAR. I promise guys, this will be the best guide you've ever seen. It has...PICTURES!

@Zagam - Sorry to hear about the computer crash. That's the worst.

I am also very interested in this guide. There are so many encounter specifics that are difficult to capture in WOL - Who triggered that wind bomb, who is and isn't using personal defensive cooldowns effectively.

One thing I'm really enjoying about MOP raiding is how much personal responsibility each raider has. Sure, we each had an extra action button on Ultraxion, but having to pay attention to my personal defensives for Rain of Blades on Wind Lord and pace them to stay alive adds a whole new dimension.

With the added individual raider responsibility, better tools for ensuring accountability will be the key to progression.

Aye very much looking forward to the full hit Zagam! A lot of my problems are having the time to weed out all of the data that is "useless" to me. A big thanks in advance!

RAGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Just spent an hour and 30 minutes writing a beautiful guide and my computer crashed. I'll have it up within next 4 hours after I take my old computer outside and beat it up Office Space style. ROAR. I promise guys, this will be the best guide you've ever seen. It has...PICTURES!

If I can help you, or anyone can help, do tell. It's nice to help and be a part of something greater Posted Image

If anyone has some free time to look at my guilds logs and see where we could improve that would be AWESOME! PM me if you want to wade through Posted Image Sadly it isnt just warlock related, but Im rubbish at reading logs!

If you put a link here we can have more people analyze it.