Anub'Rekhan Encounter Guide: Strategy, Abilities, Loot
Anub'Rekhan is the first boss of The Arachnid Quarter in Wrath of the Lich King Classic's version of the Naxxramas Raid and is commonly the first encounter of the instance as a whole. Do not forget to be aware of the various Raid Buffs and Debuffs as you work to optimize your Raid Composition for this encounter's mechanics!
Overview of Anub'Rekhan in Wrath of the Lich King Classic's Naxxramas
Anub'Rekhan is likely the very first boss of Naxxramas you will encounter, and is himself the first boss of The Arachnid Quarter wing. As is befitting an early boss in the raid, there are minimal mechanics for you to worry about as you primarily deal with the occasional add while fighting the boss himself. Players who have experienced this fight already in the Vanilla version of Naxxramas should not expect any new surprises.
Role-Specific Tips for Anub'Rekhan
- Stay spread out around the boss to reduce your chances of being hit by Impale.
- Be careful to not get hit by a Crypt Guard's Cleave.
- Make sure to run at least 30 yards away from Anub'Rekhan when he begins his Locust Swarm.
- Stay spread out from other healers to avoid too many players being hit by Impale.
- Make sure to stay at least 30 yards away from Anub'Rekhan during Locust Swarm
- While this fight can technically be solo-tanked, it is not recommended due to the continuing spawns of Crypt Guards.
- Anub'Rekhan will still be trying to attack you during Locust Swarm. Kite him around the edge of the room, while staying more than 30 yards away to avoid damage and allow your ranged DPS to hit the boss safely.
- Impale — A random player will be targeted and sent into the air while taking damage. Any players between this target and Anub'Rekhan will also be damaged and knocked up.
- Locust Swarm — Anub'Rekhan will create a 30-yard aura around himself after an initial cast that lasts for 20 seconds, snaring himself in the process. Players within this aura will suffer Nature damage and be unable to attack or cast spells for two seconds. This cast will also spawn a Crypt Guard add.
- Crypt Guard — Spawned by Locust Swarm (or with two spawned initially on 25-player)
Strategy for Anub'Rekhan
Begin by positioning in an arc around the boss as a raid. This is to reduce the chances of multiple players being hit by an Impale; if multiple healers in particular get struck at the same time, it could be deadly!
Beyond this, focus your attacks on any Crypt Guards that are present whenever they spawn in the encounter — or from the very beginning, in 25-player. One additional Crypt Guard will spawn with every cast of Locust Swarm.
Finally, during each Locust Swarm, it is up to the tank that has Anub'Rekhan's attention to slowly kite him around the edges of the room to prevent anyone from being silenced by the 30-yard damaging aura around the boss.
|Knife of Incision||One-Hand Dagger|
|Collar of Dissolution||Neck|
|Band of Neglected Pleas||Ring|
|Agonal Sash||Cloth Belt|
|Gloves of Dark Gestures||Cloth Gloves|
|Splint-Bound Leggings||Leather Legs|
|Boots of Persistence||Mail Boots|
|Chivalric Chestguard||Plate Chest|
|Ravaging Sabatons||Plate Boots|
|Gemmed Wand of the Nerubians||Wand|
|Webbed Death||One-Hand Dagger|
|Shield of Assimilation||Shield|
|Chains of Adoration||Neck|
|Leggings of Atrophy||Cloth Legs|
|Mantle of the Locusts||Cloth Shoulders|
|Sash of the Parlor||Cloth Belt|
|Swarm Bindings||Leather Wrist|
|Corpse Scarab Handguards||Mail Gloves|
|Arachnoid Gold Band||Mail Wrist|
|Sabatons of Sudden Reprisal||Plate Feet|
|Inexorable Sabatons||Plate Feet|
|Rescinding Grips||Plate Gloves|
|Pauldrons of Unnatural Death||Plate Shoulders|
Anub'Rekhan is just one of the 15 encounters present in the Naxxramas raid of Wrath of the Lich King Classic. If you would like to learn more about the others, or would like to see the loot tables of every boss at the same time, please see our other pages for the raid below.
- 27 Sep. 2022: Page added
- The Classic Hardcore Masses Gather for Onyxia Buff
- Wrath Classic 3.4.3 PTR Development Notes: September 15th
- World First Hardcore Level 60 Mage Dies for a Second Time
- Jeep Crash Into Power Line Almost Takes Out Hardcore Character
- World First Classic Hardcore Level 60 Player Dies
- Player Hearthstones Out of Hardcore Dungeon Group Because Tank Overpulled
- The Accidental Log-in and the Panicked Phone Call to Save a Hardcore Character's Life
- World First Molten Core Clear on Classic Hardcore