Twin Valkyr Encounter Guide: Strategy, Abilities, Loot
The Twin Valkyr is the fourth boss fight of the five boss encounters in the Trial of the Crusader raid in Wrath of the Lich King Classic. This encounter is made up of 2 mini-bosses. Do not forget to be aware of the various Raid Buffs and Debuffs as you work to optimize your Raid Composition for this encounter's mechanics!
Overview of the Twin Valkyr encounter in Wrath of the Lich King Classic's Trial of the Crusader
The Twin Valkyr is the fourth boss encounter in the Trial of the Crusader raid instance. This boss will test your healers ability to spot heal and your overall raid DPS.
Role-Specific Tips for Lord Jaraxxus
- Take full advantage of your classes ability to do two target cleave or anything to maximize your damage against two targets.
- Ensure you are always in a position to switch your essence at a moments notice.
- Be ready to react quickly to heal the members of your raid who will be soaking the essence orbs.
- Be ready to move the bosses and have a clear path in mind to avoid any essence orbs in your way to the opposite essence font.
Twin Valkyr Abilities
- Powering Up — The major mechanic of this encounter is the essence orbs that will be floating throughout the room during the encounter. There will be Light essence orbs which are white and Darkness essence orbs which are black, at the entrance of the room and near where the bosses spawn there will be a font of either Light or Darkness, clicking on this font will grant you a debuff that will either allow you to gain energy by hitting the orbs of the same essence type as your debuff or will make you take damage by hitting an orb of the other essence type. When you receive 100 stacks of the Powering Up debuff you will receive one of two buffs depending on your essence type. Empowered Darkness which will increase your damage by 100% for 15 seconds to Fjola Lightbane or Empowered Light which will increase your damage by 100% for 15 seconds to Eydis Darkbane. The orbs will be floating around the room going in every direction and coming from seemingly random places so they can be difficult to avoid or collect.
- Twins Pact — One of the Twin Valkyr will attempt to heal the other, this is a 15 second cast that must be interrupted after the Shield of Darkness/Shield of Lights is broken.
- Power of the Twins — The Twin that is not casting Twins Pact gains a buff that increases their damage done by 20%, each successful melee attack will cause them to gain attack speed and will continue until the Twins Pact is interrupted.
- Twin Spike — One of the Twin Valkyr will attack their primary target and apply a debuff increasing their damage taken by 20% for 15 seconds.
- Shield of Darkness — Eydis will give herself a massive shield preventing the ability to interrupt her spell casting until the shield is broken or 15 seconds passes.
- Dark Vortex — Eydis will channel a shadowy vortex dealing Shadow damage every second for 5 seconds.
- Surge of Darkness — Eydis will pulse Shadow Damage every 2 seconds to anyone in the raid without the Darkness essence debuff.
- Touch of Darkness — Eydis will select a random player with the Light essence debuff and apply the Touch to them, causing them and anyone near them without the Darkness essence debuff to take massive Shadow damage. This can be removed by clicking on the Darkness font and getting the Darkness essence debuff. This mechanic is heroic mode only.
- Shield of Lights — Fjola will give herself a massive shield preventing the ability to interrupt her spell casting until the shield is broken or 15 seconds passes.
- Light Vortex — Fjola will channel a Light vortex dealing Holy damage every second for 5 seconds.
- Surge of Light — Fjola will pulse Holy Damage every 2 seconds to anyone in the raid without the Light essence debuff.
- Touch of Light — Fjola will select a random player with the Light essence debuff and apply the Touch to them, causing them and anyone near them without the Light essence debuff to take massive Holy damage. This can be removed by clicking on the Light font and getting the Light essence debuff. This mechanic is heroic mode only.
Strategy for Twin Valkyr
This encounter should be completed with two tanks, one to hold each of the Twin Valkyr. The amount of healers will depend on your raids personal preference and how confident your soakers are with catching orbs, the amount of damage taken should be rather consistent pull to pull unless your soakers are struggling to intercept orbs so the amount of healers should be whatever your raid is comfortable with somewhere in the range of 3-5 healers.
There are several different strategies that work against the Twin Valkyr but the most consistent strategy I have found involves largely ignoring the orbs and focusing on one boss. Designate 4-5 members of your raid to be 'soakers'; These players should be mobile classes as they will be moving quite a bit. Restoration Druid, Discipline Priest and Hunters are especially good in this role. The soakers should get the Light essence debuff to begin the encounter and the rest of the raid should get the Darkness essence debuff as the majority of the time spent on this boss will be attacking Fjola Lightbane who you will need the Darkness essence debuff in order for the raid to deal full damage to the boss.
Both bosses should be tanked where Fjola Lightbane starts the encounter. Right next to the Light essence font in the North West corner of the room you can and should stack the bosses directly on top of each other so the raid can cleave. Make sure you are focusing on the boss that is the opposite essence of the debuff that you have, so if you have Darkness you should be hitting Fjola and if you have Light you should be hitting Eydis. The entire raid should be stacked on top of the bosses other than the people who are designated to soak. The soakers who at this point have the Light essence debuff need to be doing everything in their power to soak the Light orbs that will be bouncing around the room. If any of these orbs make their way into the stack it will deal considerable AoE damage to everyone so it is crucial that as many orbs as possible are soaked by the soaking team. It can help to assign everyone on the soaking team a cardinal direction around the boss or quadrants so they know where they should be trying to soak.
Every 45 seconds the Twin Valkyr will cast a 'special ability' which will be one of two spells; Either Dark Vortex/Light Vortex or Twins Pact. Assuming that it is Twins Pact, the entire raid will need to make sure they have the correct essence to be dealing full damage to the shielded twin. This can be done by clicking the corresponding font. Since you have started the fight with the Darkness font, if Fjola is the one shielded you will not need to switch debuffs, however if Eydis is the one shielded you will need to click the Light essence font which the raid should already be located directly on top of. The raid should damage the shielded twin until the shield is broken, making sure to interrupt to prevent them from healing. If you did have to switch buffs, make sure that you return back to the Darkness font located either near the entrance of the room or the South-West corner where Eydis was located at the start of the encounter. Returning to this essence allows the soaking team to remain focused on soaking.
If instead of Twins Pact one of the Valkyr casts Dark Vortex/Light Vortex the entire raid will need to change to the corresponding essence type to the vortex. If Dark Vortex is cast you have the Darkness debuff or Light Vortex then you must have the light debuff. In a situation where Eydis casts Dark Vortex that would be the only time the soaking team would have to swap debuffs.
The only other mechanic of note is the heroic only debuffs, Touch of Darkness/Touch of Light. The Valkyr will occasionally choose a player in the raid who has the opposite of their essence type and give them a debuff that causes them to take damage and pulse damage to anyone near them with the opposite type of essence debuff. This can be dispelled by clicking on the font of the corresponding debuff, so if you are afflicted with Touch of Darkness you will need to get the Darkness essence debuff and vice versa. This boss has a bit of a learning curve, but after a few pulls it will make more sense and require little other than quick reactions from your healers and paying attention to the bosses ability casts. Good luck!
|Loop of the Twin Val'kyr||Ring|
|Armor of Shifting Shadows||Leather Chest|
|Sabatons of the Lingering Vortex||Plate Boots|
|Gloves of Looming Shadow||Cloth Gloves|
|Gloves of the Azure Prophet||Mail Gloves|
|Chalice of Benedictus||Off-Hand|
|Helm of the Snowy Grotto||Cloth Helmet|
|Boots of the Grieving Soul||Cloth Boots|
|Vest of Shifting Shadows||Leather Chest|
|Band of the Twin Val'kyr||Ring|
|Edge of Agony||Two-Handed Sword|
|Greaves of the Lingering Vortex||Plate Boots|
|Looming Shadow Wraps||Cloth Gloves|
|Sen'jin Ritualist Gloves||Mail Gloves|
|Sandals of the Grieving Soul||Cloth Boots|
|Helm of the High Mesa||Leather Helmet|
|Legguards of Ascension||Plate Legs|
|Belt of the Merciless Killer||Leather Belt|
|Bracers of the Shieldmaiden||Plate Bracers|
|The Arbiter's Muse||Neck|
|Skyweaver Robes||Cloth Chest|
|Sabatons of Ruthless Judgment||Mail Boots|
|The Executioner's Malice||Neck|
|Cord of Pale Thorns||Cloak|
|Breastplate of the Frozen Lake||Plate Chest|
|Chalice of Searing Light||Off-Hand|
|Wail of the Val'kyr||Necklace|
|Bindings of Dark Essence||Cloth Bracers|
|The Executioner's Vice||Neck|
|Gouge of the Frigid Heart||Dagger|
|Armguards of the Shieldmaiden||Plate Bracers|
|Belt of the Pitiless Killer||Leather Belt|
|Greaves of Ruthless Judgment||Mail Boots|
|Legplates of Ascension||Plate Legs|
|Skyweaver Vestments||Cloth Chest|
|Belt of Pale Thorns||Leather Belt|
|Dark Essence Bindings||Cloth Bracers|
|Cry of the Val'kyr||Necklace|
|Chestplate of the Frozen Lake||Plate Chest|
The Twin Valkyr is one of 5 encounters present in the Trial of the Crusader raid of Wrath of the Lich King Classic. If you would like to learn more about the others, or would like to see the loot tables of every boss at the same time, please see our other pages for the raid below.
- 07 May 2023: Page added.
- Nightmarish Emerald Drake Briefly Appears on Wrath Classic 3.4.3 PTR
- A New Round of Layoffs at Blizzard
- Extremely Dramatic Mass-Death in Classic Hardcore Zul'Gurub
- Classic Hardcore First Month Death Clip Compilation
- Level 50 Hardcore Character Killed by Level 6 Mobs
- Hardcore Bank Alts Griefed in Capital Cities by Spawning Mobs
- Blizzard Working on Fixing EU Hardcore Server Lag, But Be Careful
- Classic Era Known Issues List: A Deadly Ouro Bug