WotLK Classic Feral Druid Tank Stat Priority
On this page, you will find out the optimal PvE stat priority for your Feral Druid Tank in WotLK Classic. We first present the stat priority, before delving into more complex explanations.
Stat Priority for Feral Druid Tanks
- Stamina (has no diminishing returns and scales with Dire Bear Form, Heart of the Wild, Survival of the Fittest, Improved Mark of the Wild, and Blessing of Kings);
- 26 Expertise Points before Primal Precision to reduce Boss Dodge % to 0;
- Agility (some Crit and Dodge, and also benefits from stat multipliers such as Survival of the Fittest);
- 8% Hit before talents / Draenei to cap Hit;
- Extra Expertise until Boss Parry chance is reduced to 0;
- Extra Armor on Leather (multiplied by Dire Bear Form, Survival of the Fittest, and Thick Hide);
- Strength (2 Attack Power before similar multipliers to Agility);
- Armor Penetration;
- Defense (bosses cannot crit when you have Survival of the Fittest, even with 0 Defense, but it still gives Dodge and enemy miss chance against you);
- Critical Strike;
- Feral Attack Power (stat on weapons dependent on their item level, has 20% extra scaling than regular Attack Power from Predatory Strikes);
- Attack Power;
- Extra Armor on non-Leather pieces (no multipliers).
Having a huge health pool is fundamental for bears as they cannot block nor parry and thus are more likely to take hits than other tanks due to the weak Agility to Dodge conversion in Wrath Classic.
Stats Explained for Feral Druid Tanks
As a tank, you have two main goals: keep the enemy's attention and do not die. Wrath changes buff tank threat significantly, making it much easier to keep threat, and allowing most of your gearing to be survivability-focused.
Stamina is incredibly important for Feral Tanks, as they get a high multiplier on their Stamina values due to Dire Bear Form and Heart of the Wild. Combined with Blessing of Kings, Survival of the Fittest, and Improved Mark of the Wild, each point of Stamina increases your maximum health by 16 instead of the normal 10!
Expertise reduces the chance of your attacks being parried or dodged. It takes 32.79 Expertise Rating for a 1% Dodge and Parry chance reduction and boss enemies have 6.5% Dodge and 14% Parry baseline, making Expertise extremely powerful at ensuring you attacks hit before the Dodge soft cap is hit, and still useful to reduce Parry chance beyond that point.
Feral Druids get extra Crit, Dodge, and Armor from each point of Agility while in Dire Bear Form. Your Agility is also multiplied due to Blessing of Kings, Survival of the Fittest, and Improved Mark of the Wild. Due to having a much lower conversion to Dodge than it used to in TBC Classic and threat not being nearly as important, you will no longer want to gem and enchant for Agility.
Against boss targets, you have a 8% chance to miss attacks, which requires 263 Hit to be overcome. Reaching the Hit cap as a Feral Tank is a significant threat increase, and helps ensure that you do not accidentally lose aggro due to an unlucky streak of missed attacks.
Armor reduces your damage taken by Physical attacks. This is a great mitigation stat when it comes on your Leather pieces, as it is multiplied by Dire Bear Form, Thick Hide, and Survival of the Fittest, but any armor on non-Leather slots is not multiplied, and thus quite weak.
Feral Druids receive 2 Attack Power (AP) per point of Strength. This is your strongest stat for pure AP gain, which will increase your damage done by all attacks.
Haste increases your attack speed, allowing you to get more auto attacks off in a given period of time.
Armor Penetration allows your attacks to partially ignore your enemy's Armor. This is one of the best stats for Feral, as all of their damage is Physical, and it becomes better the more of it you have, as it becomes more and more valuable to reduce an enemy's Armor as their total Armor value decreases.
Each point of Defense gives you an additional 0.04% chance to be missed, not to be crit, and to be dodged. While it used to be important to avoid being critically hit, in Wrath Classic the Survival of the Fittest talent takes care of making you uncrittable by itself, making this stat only useful for its avoidance benefits.
Critical strikes deal increased damage and provide a defensive benefit through the Savage Defense talent. Crits also increase your Rage generation through the Primal Fury talent. Overall it is a weak, but not useless, stat.
Feral Attack Power and Weapon Stats
Your weapon DPS range is completely irrelevant, as Feral forms use their own hidden weapons with normalized damage. The main thing you want is Feral Attack Power, which only depends on the item level of the weapon you are trying to equip.
Attack Power is the base stat off which all of your damage is calculated. For Feral Druids this is especially true, since your auto attack damage gets no benefit from weapon DPS.
Resilience is only found on PvP gear and reduces your chance to suffer a Critical Strike. While it used to be important to avoid being critically hit, in Wrath Classic the Survival of the Fittest talent takes care of making you uncrittable by itself, making this stat only useful in PvP.
Resistance, while inherently niche due to different bosses dealing different magical damage types, can be very useful while progressing specific bosses. Wearing resistance gear of a type makes you take less damage or even completely avoid damage when hit by that type of magical damage.
Intellect, Spirit, and maybe even Mp5 will most likely be on some of your gear, but they hold little to no value as a Feral Tank. Intellect and Spirit only become valuable when you use Mana, which can really only happen through swapping forms repeatedly.
- 18 Jan. 2023: Reviewed for Phase 2 release ahead of Ulduar raid release.
- 20 Sep. 2022: Page added.
- Season of Discovery Global Launch Times: When Does the Update Go Live?
- Icy Veins Launches Genshin Impact Guides Section
- Honor Decay Removed In Season of Discovery and Classic Era
- Season of Discovery Launch Times
- Season of Discovery Will Launch With Fewer Realms
- Icecrown Citadel Player Buff Coming Early December
- Battle.net Black Friday Sale: Up to 67% Off
- Blizzard Explain Why Classic Hardcore Servers Are Down Longer