Maexxna Encounter Guide: Strategy, Abilities, Loot
Maexxna is the third and final boss of The Arachnid Quarter in Wrath of the Lich King Classic's version of the Naxxramas Raid and is commonly the third encounter of the instance as a whole. Do not forget to be aware of the various Raid Buffs and Debuffs as you work to optimize your Raid Composition for this encounter's mechanics!
Overview of Maexxna in Wrath of the Lich King Classic's Naxxramas
Maexxna is the third and final boss of The Arachnid Quarter that you will face in Naxxramas, taking place within her webbed lair. Naturally, as a spider Maexxna will make use of a variety of poisons and webbing to torment her enemies; arachnophobes beware!
Role-Specific Tips for Maexxna
- Help destroy any web cocoons that are trapping players affected by Web Wrap.
- Quickly slay any Maexxna Spiderlings that spawn to reduce the number of Necrotic Poison that need to be dispelled.
- Pay attention to the timer for Web Spray so that you do not waste any cooldowns just before getting stunned.
- Dispel Necrotic Poison/Necrotic Poison immediately, or your tank will surely die.
- Consider applying additional heal-over-time effects to the active tank before each cast of Web Spray so that they remain safe while stunned.
- This fight is easily solo-tankable, though another tank can still help out with the Maexxna Spiderling spawns.
- While the whole raid is stunned during Web Spray, Maexxna will still be attacking the active tank. Consider playing more defensively to account for this.
- Position Maexxna so that you are the only player getting hit by Poison Shock.
- Remember that Maexxna will Frenzy at 30% health, dealing even more damage for the rest of the encounter.
- Web Spray — Every 40 seconds, Maexxna will stun the entire raid for 6 seconds and deal a large amount of Nature damage.
- Web Wrap — One (or two, in 25-man) players will be dragged to a far wall of the encounter area and become trapped in a webbed cocoon. Until this cocoon is attacked and destroyed, the Web Wrapped victim(s) are helpless.
- Necrotic Poison — This ability is cast on Maexxna's main target, and is a Poison debuff that reduces all healing received by 90% for 30 seconds if it is not dispelled.
- Poison Shock — Maexxna will spray poison in a frontal cone that deals a large amount of Nature damage. No one should be hit by this attack other than the tank.
- Summon Spiderlings — Maexxna will occasionally spawn multiple Maexxna Spiderlings. These spiderlings will apply their, weaker form of Necrotic Poison that instead reduces healing received by 75%. Fortunately, this Poison debuff is also dispellable.
- Frenzy — Upon reaching 30% health, Maexxna will gain 50% increased attack speed and deal 75% more Physical damage until she is defeated.
Strategy for Maexxna
Begin this encounter as a tank by ensuring Maexxna is faced away from the rest of the raid to avoid anyone being hit by Poison Shock. From here, the encounter will revolve around each role doing their respective job: healers will want to immediately dispel Necrotic Poison/Necrotic Poison and DPS will want to break out anyone affected by Web Wrap.
Beyond these simple jobs, every member of the raid will want to keep track of the Web Spray timer, as being stunned at the wrong time could mean death. In particular, be ready to potentially slow down the raid's damage output to avoid having to experience any Web Sprays while Maexxna is under the effect of Frenzy from reaching 30% health.
|Maexxna's Femur||One-Hand Mace|
|Aegis of Damnation||Shield|
|Embrace of the Spider||Trinket|
|Cloak of Armed Strife||Cape|
|Timeworn Silken Band||Ring|
|Pendant of Lost Vocations||Neck|
|Leggings of Discord||Leather Legs|
|Spaulders of the Monstrosity||Leather Shoulders|
|Web Cocoon Grips||Plate Gloves|
|Wraith Strike||Main Hand Fist Weapon|
|The Jawbone||Two-Hand Mace|
|Aged Winter Cloak||Cape|
|Shroud of Luminosity||Cape|
|Cloak of the Shadowed Sun||Cape|
|Shawl of the Old Maid||Cape|
|Cloak of Averted Crisis||Cape|
|Digested Silken Robes||Cloth Chest|
|Distorted Limbs||Cloth Legs|
|Cowl of the Perished||Leather Helm|
|Infectious Skitterer Leggings||Leather Legs|
|Mantle of Shattered Kinship||Leather Shoulders|
|Sinner's Bindings||Leather Wrist|
|Quivering Tunic||Mail Chest|
|Torn Web Wrapping||Mail Belt|
|Undiminished Battleplate||Plate Chest|
|Helm of Diminished Pride||Plate Helm|
|Ablative Chitin Girdle||Plate Belt|
|Bindings of the Hapless Prey||Plate Wrist|
Maexxna is just one of the 15 encounters present in the Naxxramas raid of Wrath of the Lich King Classic. If you would like to learn more about the others, or would like to see the loot tables of every boss at the same time, please see our other pages for the raid below.
- 27 Sep. 2022: Page added
- Nightmarish Emerald Drake Briefly Appears on Wrath Classic 3.4.3 PTR
- A New Round of Layoffs at Blizzard
- Extremely Dramatic Mass-Death in Classic Hardcore Zul'Gurub
- Classic Hardcore First Month Death Clip Compilation
- Level 50 Hardcore Character Killed by Level 6 Mobs
- Hardcore Bank Alts Griefed in Capital Cities by Spawning Mobs
- Blizzard Working on Fixing EU Hardcore Server Lag, But Be Careful
- Classic Era Known Issues List: A Deadly Ouro Bug