andreios

WW Talent Swapping and Off Specs

7 posts in this topic

So I've been reading a lot about swapping talents around for single-target vs AoE fights.  This was not something I'd ever practiced much, but I recently decided tos tart trying it out and the benefits, predictably, are great.  However, it brings up a couple of questions for me that I hope the more experienced players here can clear up for me.

1) When considering what situations require talent switches, are you looking only at boss fights or also the trash along the way?  If both, which is preferred for trash?  I would think an AoE setup would be sort of a default, only changing to single target for bosses.  But that seems like a lot of tome-costly switching, leading to my second question:

2) I currently have Brewmaster as my off-spec, and I hope to learn how to play it decently enough to be of raid utility in a pinch.  But with the concept of changing three talents every time I switch from a single-target to a multi-target situation, it seems like I will be consuming many tomes.  Now that's not a huge problem as they are pretty cheap (especially with Inscription) but it did lead me to wonder:  how many of you use your off-spec for another actual spec, vs. using one as a single-target setup and the other as multi-target?

Thanks for your help! 

1.5gold per boss. The gold drop from ONE boss would pay for a months worth of talent swaps. 

I've never seen someone use double spec for that reasons. Sounds like a really silly reason.

Boss is all that matters. If I am set up for AoE I'll stay AoE for trash, if I need AoE on the next boss I'll set up for AoE for trash. But I never change JUST for trash.

There is no reason to be cheap. I always run around with 200 tomes on me at least and keep my repair mounts ready to supply me with more if needed.

Monk is a nice class that rewards players for picking the proper talents for each fight, both offensively and defensively.

Even the mobility skills can be switched around depending on the fight.

Like there's fights where you as a DPS dont need to move a lot but some ranged might, so keeping tigers lust ready for them can be really nice.

Thanks for the tips.  One follow-up question:  When considering whether to set for single-target or multi-target, would the presence of adds be a consideration for mulit-target?  Or would it only be for a fight where there are multiple bosses, i.e. the twin orgron? 

Depends on the fight. "adds" like the adds on Garrosh I wouldn't spec multi target for. "Adds" like the adds in Brackenspore or Tectus I would spec multi target for.

It depends on how long the adds are up, how important they are to kill, and weather or not it is part of your job to do so.

Okay, so now I have a technical question related to this.  So I had Chi Brew and Serenity on my (default UI) action bars, and switched to Asc/ChiEx.  But then on any kind of UI reload (like porting back from a dungeon), the now useless buttons drop off, so that when I switch back I have to put the buttons back on my action bars.  Not exactly game-breaking or anything, but it is pretty annoying.  Is there any way to prevent that from happening?  Something that Bartender can fix?  (I do have BT4 downloaded but haven't had the time/inclination to mess with it yet.)  Thanks!