FORUMS
Jesperhunter

Survival Advice?

Hello there!

I have been trying to increase my SV hunters DPS, and I cannot seem to truly get it go hike. I don't know if its because of my gear, or if I am doing the rotation wrong. I read the forums and looked up guides

For my shot rotation I start with  Explosive>black arrow>crows> Arcane( until I run out of focus) > Cobra shot ( usually until explosive comes back up, or I get thrill proc)

then I start over again, after gaining more focus.

Here are the logs of my Highmaul on Monday: 

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/ApaD8bYBxNJkLF4d#type=damage-done&boss=-3&source=5

( However here in this go around, i was doing the black arrow> explosive shot to see if it made a different, then I got discouraged and tried my MM on Brackenspore, which was worse, so I changed back to survival  )

And here is my Armory:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/farstriders/Jesper/advanced

can someone please help or give some advice as to what I can do to improve, or point out what I am doing wrong, so i can fix it? I would really like to be useful for my guild raids.

Opener should be as follows:

>Pre-pot
>Murder of Crows

>Black Arrow
>Explosive Shot
>Arcane Shot to apply Serpent Sting.

The opener is done this way because it's using your abilities in order of how much damage it does to the execute time/cost.
Murder is your BEST ability it does the most damage per execute time. This is followed by Black Arrow which does a LOT of damage over the course of the fight *AND* it gives you lock'n'load procs.
Then Explosive Shot, then SS.

Serpent Sting uptime, whilst okay could do some work.

Your good at casting Murder on CD.

Black Arrow uptime could be better on some fights. MAKE SURE you cast it on CD if the target is gonna live for the entire duration of the DoT.
Explosive shot may also need some work, make sure you cast it on CD and then spam your 3 explosive shots as SOON as you get the lock'n'load proc (HOWEVER do NOT stop casting cobra to do so, as you'll still want the focus afterwards).

That's pretty much all I can say on this.

Ok, so, I'm going to do a log comparison for twins between you and I, but considering I am nearly 20 ilvls higher, I am more looking at uptimes and number of casts.  So, here's the report.

You are using LW.  This fight has more than plenty of time to fully utilize Focusing Shot, and doing so will increase your dps.

SS uptime on Pol is good, however, you didn't put SS on Phemos at all, which cost you a lot of damage (upwards of 1 million, or around 2.5-2.8k dps).

You use AMoC on pull, then don't use it again until 2:30, making you lose 2 casts of AMoC (loosing ~160k damage or ~425 dps)

You cast Barrage once in 6:27 vs my 16 uses in the same time frame.  Barrage takes a fairly high priority when facing multiple targets, given that you will hit both for the entire (or most of, at least) cast.  The same applies to Explosive trap.

You are sitting on LnL procs for quite awhile.  These take top priority in most every situation.

12/16 BA casts.  Using BA on cd increases your dps in 2 ways: Directly through the damage it deals, and indirectly through LnL procs.

Ahh okay, so I still need to work on my rotations, and using my abilities when they are cooled down it seems. As for barrage. I am SOOO afraid to use that in battles, I nearly forget that I have it. When I first started using it, I noticed it was very uncontrollable. I would be shooting at two targets and a random stray would like, swing WAY over to the left and pull another. However during boss fights I can see using it, and need to get back into the habit. And for the pre pot, I have not been doing that either, which I will try next around in Highmaul. Thank you guys for the advice!

You cast Barrage once in 6:27 vs my 16 uses in the same time frame.  Barrage takes a fairly high priority when facing multiple targets, given that you will hit both for the entire (or most of, at least) cast. 

For Lone Wolf, Barrage is a very minor DPS increase on 2 targets, and it's natural to cast fewer of them without Focusing Shot.

Barrage doesn't get buffed by Lone Wolf. Focusing Shot SV has weaker everything, but more focus, so Barrage both does more damage and has higher priority on multiple targets, for LW it's not that huge of a deal. I'm using LW on all fights, and on Ogrons I maybe get to cast Barrage 2 or 3 times. 

For my shot rotation I start with  Explosive>black arrow>crows> Arcane( until I run out of focus) > Cobra shot ( usually until explosive comes back up, or I get thrill proc)

then I start over again, after gaining more focus.

Until you literally spend all focus you have? That's not how you  should play with Lone Wolf. Try to cast Arcane Shot without Thrill of the Hunt as little as possible. Without TotH, you cast Arcane Shot only in 2 cases:

1) When you have 80+ focus to prevent overcapping

2) When you need to apply Serpent Sting to a target

When you do have Thrill of the Hunt proc, try to spend it as quickly as possible, but make sure to always leave enough focus for Black Arrow and Explosive Shot, both of which have higher priority. 

Most of the time you want to be hovering around 75 focus. 

Edited by Iridar

Until you literally spend all focus you have? That's not how you  should play with Lone Wolf. Try to cast Arcane Shot without Thrill of the Hunt as little as possible. Without TotH, you cast Arcane Shot only in 2 cases:

1) When you have 80+ focus to prevent overcapping

2) When you need to apply Serpent Sting to a target

When you do have Thrill of the Hunt proc, try to spend it as quickly as possible, but make sure to always leave enough focus for Black Arrow and Explosive Shot, both of which have higher priority. 

Most of the time you want to be hovering around 75 focus. 

1) Expend Thrill of the Hunt procs in a timely fashion.

2) Stay above/around 75 focus without ever capping.

Pick one.

1) Expend Thrill of the Hunt procs in a timely fashion.

2) Stay above/around 75 focus without ever capping.

Pick one.

Do I really need to much everything down to the priority list?

1) Cast ES / BA / AMoC

2) Spend TotH

3) Get to ~75 focus and stay there to ensure you have enough for 1) and 2)

This is what I meant from the beginning, sorry if unclear.

What would even be the point of staying at 75 focus if not for spending TotH and still having enough for BA / ES / AmoC...

Edited by Iridar