FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Pinnique

Windwalker Monk, Why Do Leaves Fall? (DPS Help)

Hi there.

I am rather new to the class/spec. However, do not feel this is an acceptable reason to be doing so oddly/poorly on damage. I am by no means the best player in the world, but I do pride myself on pushing myself. Yet, as a WW, I am really struggling to do that.

Armoury

Combat Log

Rotation: I am using the base one from Icy-Veins. I have tried both Chi Brew & Serenity, and Ascension & Chi Explosion. I found Ascension & Chi Explosion the more fun to play.

I am the token Monk in the raid, so I have no one to turn to debate with, etc.

Please, fellow monks, why do leaves fall?

Windwalker is currently my offspec since my guild has need of me as a mistweaver more, that being said im constantly switching between the two depending on who shows up for raids.  That being said you're 642 equiped according to your armory page and at about 16.6k dps according to the combat log. It isnt bad but certainly not the best you could preform. I will provide a link to my armory page so you can see my monk as he is setup for WW, my personal choice for WW is Chi Brew and Chi Explosion just cause even with Ascension there tends to be a lull with current energy regen and as haste is one of our weaker stats I started using Chi Brew again and have found that it helps even out your chi consumption more as well as it provides a better opening burst and faster climb to hit 10 stacks of brew so your burst hits harder and comes faster. That is just my personal choice. I have yet to use hurricane strike in pve as when i tested it on beta the ability seemed more attuned to pvp situations / there havent been any situations in raiding where i have found the ability to be more useful than the other two. Serenity is very nice and is on par with Chi explosion somewhat in my opinion as it will let you build up a massive dot on the target you're attacking that being said there tends to be alot of movement and positioning changes with highmaul on the melee end and Chi Explosion just generates brew stacks faster and has a thirty yard range which makes the boss getting out of melee range not as big of a deal as it would with hurricane strikes or serenity. By no means am I the best at the spec but from what I have tested and played with switching talents in and out on every boss just to test dps changes with both burst and sustained I have found myself more comfortable with Chi Brew and Chi Explosion. Here is the link to my armory.  

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/wyrmrest-accord/Caruun/simple

Okay, first off: Trinkets, get new ones ASAP. Invest in the Skull of War if you can - and do the missions to get the 615 trinket as they're INSANELY good.

Second off, I'm not the best at reading logs in the Ask Mr Robot format, so if you could in the future use Warcraft Logs it would be nice, but it's not a big deal.

Tiger Power: Good uptime, 96%, could be closer to 100, but 95%+ is pretty good. 

Potions: You only used one potion..? Pre-pot and use your second potion when you lust/hero. If you use that at the start, then use your second potion when there's either A. something that needs to die quickly or B. your procs line up/CDs are up again.

Energizing Brew: You only used that 5 times in an 8 minute fight, make sure you use that as close to on CD as possible, providing it won't energy cap you. What I tend to do is use it a few seconds after a Serenity. 

Chi Brew: To use this: make sure you use both charges in the opener, then for the rest of the fight make sure one charge is ALWAYS charging, leaving the second charge for when you need the chi, or your a couple of stacks of Tiger Eye Brew off 10 stacks.

Tiger Eye Brew: In the opener, use it WITH Serenity. After that use it at 6+ stacks for FoF and make sure you're gonna have 6+ stacks available for use during your next Serenity. (So what I do is use it for Serenity, get a lot of stacks during Serenity then pop it for the next TWO FoF's then save it for your next Serenity)

FoF: Looks like you used this on CD, that is good. Make sure you do use it on CD as it's your BIGGEST Damaging ability.
Rising Sun Kick: Make sure you use this on CD as well.
Other than that, it looks pretty okay. I may have repeated stuff that you already know, but it's good to hear things over and over again even if you did roll your eyes saying "I already know that o.o" whilst reading it. It helps reinforce to your brain "hey, hey this is what I need to be doing"
Don't get discouraged with your Windwalker, keep at it and you'll be doing amazing DPS in no time, considering your new to the class and spec you're doing pretty well biggrin.png
And I can recommend practicing at a target dummy for 10 or so minutes until you feel comfortable with your rotation and how the spec flows and feels. As it can have periods where "OMG I HAVE TOO MUCH TO PRESS" and periods of "There's nothing to press D:" 
Also, read this post to read how to optimally open up.

Edited by Kulia