Odinn

Icy Veins Celebrates Its Fourth Anniversary!

Sign in to follow this  

11 posts in this topic

11507-icy-veins-celebrates-its-fourth-an

Icy Veins is proud to be celebrating its fourth anniversary today!

For the past four years, the team behind the site has worked hard to develop content to help you keep informed of changes become a better player of WoW and later all Blizzard titles. A great - and growing! - community of you use Icy Veins for a discussion hub, above and beyond referring to our guides and updates.

From all of us at Icy Veins, thank you for continuing to support our site! Feedback is always welcome, and we look forward to more years of bringing Blizzard guides and content to you.

(Editor's note: Feel free to post here and thank Damien, Vlad, and all of the other content producers, moderators, and folks behind the scenes for all of their hard work, or to leave any other requests, feedback, or thoughts for the future here! I'm sure they'd appreciate it. - Odinn )

You first elected Icy Veins in 2011, and we've heard you - FOUR MORE YEARS!

• Like 3

Thanks for the post, Odinn. It's been really fun to see the website grow over the past 4 years and become what it currently is. I feel that the one area where we are still lacking is that we haven't yet managed to build a strong community around the website, but we have plans for that in the coming year.

• Like 3

We need to make sure there is plenty of icying on the cake :D  :D :D ......... i'll leave now 

• Like 2

Just to create a bit of discussion - what are everyones thoughts about forums (not just Icy Veins ones).  Over the past few years I've felt a definite shift away from forums towards other sources of discussion / information.

I don't tend to look at the US forums much but the EU ones seem a lot slower these days.  Noone really seems to use guild websites etc anymore either.

Is it just the community changing after so long or a shift in the way we actually communicate?

I don't visit Blizzard Official Forums, but MMO-Champion remains busy as usual. The Warlock Forums here have died down a bit, but still a few posts each day.

Our guild website is often active, either through funny / joke posts or those about raiding.

Overall I feel it's exactly the same as it was a few years ago, although perhaps more people are creating their own websites these days.

Number one place to come to if you need help, advice or just want to be in the know..GOOD JOB and best of luck in the future

Thank you for being my go to place

• Like 1

Just to create a bit of discussion - what are everyones thoughts about forums (not just Icy Veins ones).  Over the past few years I've felt a definite shift away from forums towards other sources of discussion / information.

I don't tend to look at the US forums much but the EU ones seem a lot slower these days.  Noone really seems to use guild websites etc anymore either.

Is it just the community changing after so long or a shift in the way we actually communicate?

I think forums in general are a lot like WoW's subscriptions, you see bursts you see ebbs but overall they tend to stay at relatively large numbers. The DK boards here for instance are sorta slow now but with new patch notes, new tier sets, etc, it just explodes with activity and theorycrafting. From the forums here new playstyles were developed and there was so much communal work done on everything. I think depending on where wow is out you will see said fluctuations.

So, for instance right now we are in sort of a drawl in game. Blackrock is out, the last lfr wing drops this week. But overall in game there isn't that much new stuff going on. Now, come 6.2 which may have new class changes, new storylines, tier 18 pvp and pve gear etc, we'll likely see a big boost for awhile until all that data gets worked through. 

So, forums are just like waves, sometimes they are up sometimes down but they keep moving forward biggrin.png

I feel like large, public forums don't have the same kind of pull they had in years gone by when you compare them to e.g. social media or reddit nowadays. The need for discussion has also somewhat dissipated, as the delta between an amazing player and an average player is nowhere near as pronounced with the way that the designers have handled abilities, talents, gear, etc. as they've iterated over expansions gone by.

I still frequent a handful of private forums, and I imagine lots of people do, but gaming as a whole has somewhat shifted to blogs, reddit, streaming, etc. in lieu of forum usage. Anyone who's any kind of car enthusiast, though, will tell you that forums as a medium are alive and well! ;)

Where's the cake?

Oh Peelyon, after all these years, you still forgot? "The cake is a lie" rolleyes.gif

Thank you, Odinn, for this post, and Damien and Vlad, for such a great site. I frequent this site almost daily, bug Gwenymph (priest moderator) incessantly, and miss Geoda (holy paladin moderator) tremendously.

Re: forums and guild websites - I don't bother with WoW's official forums, and haven't for quite a while - too many rabbit trails and trolls for me.  Our guild uses its own website, and we in turn look to Icy Veins quite frequently.

Here's to another 4+ years!

Edited by Maplefire
  • Like 1